Orca install package

Stephane Rodriguez posted an interesting comment that I hadn’t thought of – it isn’t the easiest thing in the world to download Orca.  You have to go through the Platform SDK web-based installer tool and also install a bunch of pieces of the core SDK to get orca.msi which lets you install Orca.  I have a copy of it that I downloaded and posted at http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog%5E_Tools/orca.zip for easier access.  I hope this makes things easier for you as you debug your setup packages.

<update date=”4/9/2010″> Fixed broken link to orca.zip. </update>

1. Stephane Rodriguez says:

Indeed, that’s better like this. Last time I checked the core platform SDK, it was 250MB or something like that. Now if you could get this in the MSDN library / Windows installer page, this would be very good (everyone googling orca gets to the Windows installer page, but then today you are automatically redirected to the core platform SDK).

And sorry for mistaking Orcas and Orca.

2. lwielewi says:

Thank you very much for this. It is just what I needed!! You just saved me a large download when all I wanted is Orca. Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

lwielewi

3. S&#248;ren Christensen Denmark says:

Great, but the link doesn’t seem to work.

4. astebner says:

Hi, it appears that my old ISP site was taken offline, so I’ve updated the link in the text of this blog post. Please let me know if the location at http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/Orca.zip does not work for you.

5. Brian says:

Thanks for providing this application separately!!

6. sonu says:

Hey thanks alot :),Saved lot of time and huge downloads.

7. RLH says:

THANKS to you and Google after 5 or more minutes of wandering around on the Microsoft site unsuccessfully!

8. macetw says:

Praise the Lord: Orca is downloadable on it’s own. Ah… Last time I did this, my blood was boiling.

9. sal says:

Many Thanks astebner, for that link. Although it’s over 12 months since you posted the information re Orca install, I was able to find the article in Yahoo search pages. I spent the whole day trying to download MS SDK Platform and there is still over a quarter of download left so if I continued on with their original download I would have been up all night too.

10. meister p says:

Thanks very much!!! This is exactly what I needed! I also had problems with the download of the SDK platform, now I don’t need it anymore 😉

11. Sam Fisher says:

Thanks Man really needed Orca was searching for it as a seperate link, thanks to you again

12. Delpak says:

thank you for useful topic & link.

13. Nico says:

Ho una linea a 56k quindi GRAZIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

translation:

(I have a 56k dialup connection so THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!)

14. Orca Hunter says:

Just another few words of thanks. Having to download a multi-megabyte SDK just to get an application I’m likely to only run once or twice is ridiculous.

15. Many thanks for the link.

16. Skaro says:

What a star!!! Thanks a million!

17. Mira says:

Many, many thanks for this.

18. David says:

Thanks a lot Aaron, very handy link.

You posted this article 18 months ago.  Do you have any idea whether this download is still the latest Orca?  Have you been updating the file?  I don’t expect you to go to all that trouble, I was just wondering.

Thanks again,

David

19. astebner says:

Hi David – I updated the Orca package once the MSI SDK for MSI 3.1 shipped.  However, I don’t know if I will continue to update it forever  :-)  The most reliable way to get the latest and greatest version of Orca is to install the Platform SDK, but for those of you who can’t take the hundreds of megs of download to do that for whatever reason, this is available as a convenience.

20. Andreaz says:

Great post. It’s an ordeal to download the simplest and smallest of tools from the microsoft site. They really have a warped mind.

This is so much easier.

21. Arun George John says:

Thank you so much! I wasted more than half an hour meandering on Microsoft’s website looking for this download. Later, I googled your site! Thanks again!

22. Ajay says:

that was great.i reached here after contemplating on whether to go for such a big download on microsoft website. thank you.

23. Vishal Maheshwari says:

THANKS to you and Google, after unsuccessfull download of SDK, finally I found the Orca over here.

24. Geir V says:

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS

TimeSaver deluxe

25. ronachers says:

many thanx! very encouraged!

thank you 1.000.000 times

26. a Friend says:

Thanx a lot…

27. Mohanraj says:

Hi many many Thanks to Stephane Rodriguez  for providing orca.zip

Mohan

28. Siti says:

How to use ORCA ?

29. astebner says:

Hi Siti – Once you install Orca, you can right-click on an MSI and choose Edit with Orca and that will allow you to view and edit the contents of an MSI file.  Also, there is some information about Orca at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/orca_exe.asp.  Hope this helps!

30. Leon says:

You are teh r0x0r

31. Why is it that the easiest tasks always produce the hardest bugs to solve? I created an application that…

32. There are many many people who have been unhappy about the bug I mentioned in Keyboards under LUA , and

33. 1 : ̵̾~3.EXE : 2007/02/26() 18:05:27 ID:L2Io+Cvd Microsoft Virtual PC˴ؤ륹åɤǤ Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 ˴ؤ&gt;&gt;3δϢåɤǤɤ Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 http://www.microsoft.com/japan/windows/virtua

34. 1 : ̵̾~3.EXE : 2007/02/26() 18:05:27 ID:L2Io+Cvd Microsoft Virtual PC˴ؤ륹åɤǤ Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 ˴ؤ&gt;&gt;3δϢåɤǤɤ Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 http://www.microsoft.com/japan/windows/virtua

35. 1 : ӡȤ : 2006/10/17() 19:49:21 ID:niMQ1z+K Microsoft Corporation11ʸϻ֡ˡƱPC¹ԥեȤμСVirtual PC 2007פBetaǤ̵Windows XP Professional/Server 2003 Standard˲äܥС…

36. 1 : ӡȤ : 2006/10/17() 19:49:21 ID:niMQ1z+K Microsoft Corporation11ʸϻ֡ˡƱPC¹ԥեȤμСVirtual PC 2007פBetaǤ̵Windows XP Professional/Server 2003 Standard˲äܥС…

37. harbar.net says:

Installing applications on Windows Server 2008 or Vista x64

38. ASPInsiders says:

Earlier this week I bought Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9.5 . It took me close to an hour to get

39. harbar.net says: