Installing Microsoft Loopback Adapter

Hey all, one of the feedback forms from the hands-on lab I presented about remote debugging indicated that you’d like to hear more information about how to use the Microsoft Loopback Adapter that I used to mimic a LAN connection within the local machine to connect the development OS to the virtual machine.  Here are the steps I used to setup the loopback adapter.  I am going to see about creating a more formal tip article for this and post it somewhere on MSDN’s embedded site also.  Please send me any feedback about whether or not this set of steps ends up working for you…..

Installing Microsoft Loopback Adapter

• Go to the Add Hardware control panel

• Click Next on the first wizard screen

• When asked if the hardware is connected, select Yes and click Next

• In the list of installed hardware, scroll to the bottom and select Add a new hardware device and click Next

• Choose the option titled Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) and click Next

• In the list of common hardware types, select Network adapters and click Next

• In the list of manufacturers, select Microsoft.  Then in the list of network adapters, select Microsoft Loopback Adapter and click Next

• Click Next one more time to install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter and then press Finish

Now that you have installed the Microsoft Loopback Adapter, you need to configure an IP address for it.

Configuring Microsoft Loopback Adapter

• Go to the Network Connections control panel

• Locate the LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that has a Device name of Microsoft Loopback Adapter, right-click on it and choose Properties

• Select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and click Properties

• Select the option to Use the following IP address and enter 192.168.2.1 for the IP address.  This will cause a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 to appear

• Click OK to accept the changes and Close to exit the Properties dialog

Now you can disable your current LAN connection and enable your Microsoft Loopback Adapter connection by right-clicking on each connection in the Network Connections control panel and choosing Enable or Disable.

1. Excellent detailed info – I blogged about using the Loopback Adapter when doing .NET Remoting development:

2. Aaron Stebner says:

Thanks for reading and for providing additional info about the loopback adapter. In the demos I did, I was doing remote debugging, but the loopback adapter can be useful for any activities that require a network connection but one is not available to you, such as .NET remoting. I’ve found it to be very useful when I’m using my laptop in a disconnected state (on an airplane…)

3. Frank says:

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what do the Loopback adapter do ?

4. astebner says:

Hi Frank – at a really high level, the loopback adapter allows you to simulate having your computer on a network without actually connecting to a live network. In my scenarios I have installed Microsoft Virtual PC and booted into one operating system, and then from my main OS I was able to connect to processes within the virtual PC OS and perform remote debugging without actually exposing my PC to the internet.

Also, the link Howard provided (http://www.1succeeded0failed0skipped.com/PermaLink.aspx?guid=1d3f4c2c-3a6f-42be-b386-b8238e00c03d) shows how the loopback adapter can be useful when developing software that uses .NET Remoting.

5. Lewis Williams says:

Loopback adaptor worked for me after I closed the emulator without saving and did a clean restart. Brilliant. Thanks.

6. Roy says:

Excellent descriptions.

7. Iskandar says:

Thanks. Really need the instructions.

8. memphisto007 says:

Hi Folks

Unfortunately the first part:

Installing Microsoft Loopback Adapter

Go to the Add Hardware control panel

Click Next on the first wizard screen

When asked if the hardware is connected, select Yes and click Next

In the list of common hardware types, select Network adapters and click Next

In the list of manufacturers, select Microsoft.  Then in the list of network adapters, select Microsoft Loopback Adapter and click Next

doesn’t work for me.

After the timeout I got an error message that the driver couldn’t be installed. No other hint about the problem.

Could you please help me?

Thanks and kind regards

Manfred

9. astebner says:

Hi Memphisto007 – I’m sorry, but I didn’t run into any errors or time outs back when I wrote these instructions.  I’m not sure what to suggest to try to troubleshoot this issue.  You may want to start by looking in the event logs on your system to see if there are any useful errors listed there that can help you get started troubleshooting.

I’m sorry I’m not able to be more helpful in this scenario.

10. khamaruddin shaikh says:

I have installed Loopback adapter and assigned the Ip But It s showing us like disconnect.

PLease help me.

Regards

Khamaruddin shaikh

11. Poornima says:

Why we should disable the LAN connection after configuring the loopback adopter.