In this blog, we will go over the options we have to configure a Homepage URL using GPO for IE10 and IE11.
Requirements: Be familiar with GPMC.MSC console and Group Policy Preferences.
The widely used option also helps prevent the user from editing this Internet Explorer Setting by graying out the homepage Internet setting.
- Policy: Disable changing home page settings
- Category Path: User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\
- Supported: On At least Internet Explorer 5.0
- Registry Key: HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
- Value: HomePage
- Admx: inetres.admx
Use Group Policy Preferences (GPP)
The advantage of using Group Policy Preferences is that it allows you to specify a default home page but still allow users to change it if they want.
Windows 2012 R2 Demo:
- From GPMC.MSC navigate to your GPO object and edit
- Go to: User Configuration / Preferences / Control Panel Settings / Internet Settings
- Right Click on Internet Settings and select Internet Explorer 10
- The first thing we notice is that we have red underline settings:Settings which are underlined in red are not configured at the target machine, while settings underlined in green are configured at the target machine.
In order to change the underlining, use the following function keys:
F5 – Enable all settings on the current tab
F6 – Enable the currently selected setting
F7 – Disable the currently selected setting
F8 – Disable all settings on the current tab
I would encourage pressing a F8 to disable all before configuring anything as the recommended scenario is to configure only the settings you want to apply.
- Add the homepage and click Apply and OK to complete.
- You will now see the GPP IE Setting Policy configured
- How to configure Group Policy Preference settings for Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- Group Policy Search Tool: http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net
- How to configure multiple Home Pages using GPO?
This blog has been provided to you by the IE Support team!