In this blog, I will share one scenario where we the IE11 installation failed with Error 9c59 error.
- Windows 7 x64 with Internet Explore 9 + MS15-065 KB3065822 is installed.
- During the installation process of Internet Explorer 11, you may receive the 9C59 error.
- Error details: Code 9C59
- Error can be found in IE main.log (c:\Windows directory)
- IE11 shows to be installed in Add Removed / Turn Windows Features on or off console but IE9 version shows under the Internet Explore 9 Help and About Internet Explorer menu
NOTE: This error are more often seeing out of Managed Windows Client machines (Windows client machines built out of a master image used in VDI or desktop imaged environments) were prerequisites and or language packs for IE11 do not exist or corrupt exist.
Here are some steps you can take to resolved the 9c59 error:
- From an elevated Command Windows, run the following Command to help removed IE11
- FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c “cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart”
- Open APPWIZ.CPL(Add Removed Programs) from command window to see if IE9 shows in the Turn Windows Features on or off console. If it does, is a good indicator we are making progress
- Run the IExplore setup using the /update-no switch from an Administrator account elevated Command Windows. This will required a reboot!
- Example: IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe /update-no
- After the reboot, Open Internet Explore and hit the ALT Key on your keyboard to display the Help menu(if not visible) and click on the Help / About Internet Explore menu. Here you should see that Internet Explore 11 is installed with kb2841134 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2841134.
- Now, lets make sure you have the latest Internet Explorer Cumulative update by using Windows Update which for the month of July 2015 is KB3065822 – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065822 MS15-065 Bulleting
- You can manually download it and install it if you like or use any other deployment method you may have on your environment!
- Reboot the client and double-checked the IE11 Installation and verified the Help and about Internet explorer shows KB 3065822
- IE11 + Latest IE Cumulative should be installed !
NOTE: If the steps above did not help resolved your scenario, you should consider the related article below for other possible steps you could take.
- 2872074 Troubleshooting a failed installation of Internet Explorer 11
- Command line options available to uninstall Internet Explorer