Unable to upgrade to IE 11 because of error 9C59

In this blog, I will share one scenario where we the IE11 installation failed with Error 9c59 error.

SCENARIO:

• Windows 7 x64 with Internet Explore 9 + MS15-065 KB3065822 is installed.
  • During the installation process of Internet Explorer 11, you may receive the 9C59 error.
    • Error details: Code 9C59
    • Error can be found in IE main.log (c:\Windows directory)
  • IE11 shows to be installed in Add Removed / Turn Windows Features on or off console but IE9 version shows under the Internet Explore 9 Help and About Internet Explorer menu

NOTE: This error are more often seeing out of Managed Windows Client machines (Windows client machines built out of a master image used in VDI or desktop imaged environments) were prerequisites and or language packs for IE11 do not exist or corrupt exist.

Here are some steps you can take to resolved the 9c59 error:

• From an elevated Command Windows, run the following Command to help removed IE11
    • FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
  • Open APPWIZ.CPL(Add Removed Programs) from command window to see if IE9 shows in the Turn Windows Features on or off console. If it does, is a good indicator we are making progress
  • Run the IExplore setup using the /update-no switch from an Administrator account elevated Command Windows. This will required a reboot!
    • Example: IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe /update-no
  • After the reboot, Open Internet Explore and hit the ALT Key on your keyboard to display the Help menu(if not visible) and click on the Help / About Internet Explore menu. Here you should see that Internet Explore 11 is installed with kb2841134 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2841134.
  • Now, lets make sure you have the latest Internet Explorer Cumulative update by using Windows Update which for the month of July 2015 is KB3065822 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065822 MS15-065 Bulleting
    • You can manually download it and install it if you like or use any other deployment method you may have on your environment!
  • Reboot the client and double-checked the IE11 Installation and verified the Help and about Internet explorer shows KB 3065822
    • IE11 + Latest IE Cumulative should be installed !

NOTE: If the steps above did not help resolved your scenario, you should consider the related article below for other possible steps you could take.

RELATED ARTICLE:

This blog has been provided to you by the IE Support team!

1. User says:

Thanks, this helped me after trying a bunch of other things!

2. User says:

Worked for me. Thanks!

3. Steffi says:

I was looking for a way to fix the IE update problem for months and tried so many things (running Microsoft fixit, running the system update readiness tool, uninstalling old versions of IE, installing the new version of IE manually, etc etc) and none of them worked - but this did! Thanks! I couldn't get the Windows 10 upgrade until after IE 11 was installed.

4. VW says:

Great help.  Thanks!  For me, I had to uninstall the IE 10 language pack by modifying the command  "Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*10.*.mum"  and running it before IE 11 was successfully installed.

5. AxelRMSFT says:

@VW

Thanks for the feedback!!

6. Corey says:

I went through multiple websites and forums looking for the fix to this. I was able to successfully get IE 11 installed using your tips. you saved me a good amount of gray hair, thanks!

1. AxelRMSFT says:

Excellent!
      Glad it worked for you!!!

7. GV says:

Worked with IE 10 upgrade error. Thanks.

1. AxelRMSFT says:

Excellent, thanks for the feedback!

8. Famo says:

I tried to follow as instructed but it still failed to upgrade. In the IE11_main.log it shows this error:
    02:20.869: INFO: Process exit code 0x0000045D (1117) [The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. ]
    02:20.885: ERROR: Neutral package installation failed (exit code = 0x0000045d (1117)).

Could somebody help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

1. AxelRMSFT says:

@Famo
      I would suggest to open a ticket with Microsoft Support to look at your errors further as it looks like something else is happening on your system.

1. Famo says:

Sure, will do. Thanks @AxelRMSFT

9. AMH says:

I tried to copy paste the command supplied into the elevated command prompt and was told that I was using improper syntax and the Forfiles command cannot have two /c switches. What am I doing wrong?

1. AMH says:

I figured it out. I had to delete the quotation marks and add them again manually.

1. Jamie says:

Thank you AMH!

10. spice,aj says:

when running the FORFILES command, it says that the /c option is not allowed more than '1' time. Any suggestions?

1. User says:

See AMH's reply about having to remove and readd the quotes after copying and pasting the command in.

11. Hemant Sah says:

please follow the below procedure to get it resolve.

1. Computer-> system drive properties
    2. Run Disc cleanup -> select clean system files
    3. Reboot the system
    4. Install IE 11 offline installer file

1. AxelRMSFT says:

FYI: Disk Cleanup option on drive’s general properties and cleanmgr.exe is not present in Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 by default
      Article Link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff630161(v=ws.10).aspx

12. Johan Arvidsson says:

I could not get the commandline to work and i could not figure out what was wrong so i rewrote it in powershell:

Get-ChildItem $env:windir\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*
    .mum | ForEach-Object {Write-Host "Uninstalling $($_.BaseName)"; Start-Process -Wait pkgmgr -ArgumentList " /up:$($_.Bas
    eName) /norestart"}

I hope it could be useful!

1. Johan Arvidsson says:

Or i could just have fixed the quotes as mentioned in the comments above.. doh! 🙂

2. arash ghambari says:

Hi
      thanks it's work

13. User says:

Well, it was worth a try.... Back to searching, I guess...

C:\Users\Owner>FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
    ERROR: Invalid syntax. '/c' option is not allowed more than '1' time(s).
    Type "FORFILES /?" for usage.

1. User says:

How about reading the comments above? Type the command again so that you get proper quotation marks.

14. BJP says:

Cannot begin to thank you for this fix! I had tried everything, (client PC), on this issue. Spent probably 10 + hours and finally found your fix. Thank you so much!!!!

15. Bularath says:

Running FORFILES command does not work for me on my Windows 7 Home Premium with IE 8. I get the error "ERROR: Invalid syntax. '/c' option is not allowed more than '1' time(s)."

1. Bularath says:

OOooops. Did the same thing most of us did. Remove the quotes and its running but still got a popup error stating "Windows Package Manager - Operation Failed with 0x80070005. Access is denied." If I click OK, another Command window shows up to start the FORFILES uninstall process but another Windows Package Manager prompt shows up.

16. Skeet says:

I just get an Invalid Syntax error when I try and copy / paste command line

1. AxelRMSFT says:

Make sure you retype the "

17. user says:

C:\Windows\system32>FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
    ERROR: Invalid syntax. '/c' option is not allowed more than '1' time(s).
    Type "FORFILES /?" for usage.

C:\Windows\system32>

C:\Windows\System32>FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplore
    "
    ERROR: Files of type "Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum" not found.

C:\Windows\System32>

18. B Simpson says:

The command line utility does not work--tells me incorrect syntax, and that only one "/c" is allowed per command.

19. B Simpson says:

Apologies, I read the article without seeing the additional information in the comments. Still having some issues, but at least I can run the command. Thanks.

20. Goh Kang Ler Melvin says:

Boot in safe mode. Install thru offline installer. Reboot in normal mode. Done :))

1. Leigh says:

Fantastic yet so simple. Many thanks.

21. Rick Stephan says:

I have been fighting this exact problem on 4 virtual machines used for a product demo that requires IE (2 Win 7 SP1 x64 & 2 Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64). The provided Command Line command does remove IE11 from the Turn Windows Features on or off console. However, the offline IE installer 'IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe /update-no' repeatedly fails (even in Safe Mode) with 'Internet Explorer did not finish installing' and puts me back to square 1 (Help >About = IE9). I am also unable to uninstall IE 9 via Installed Updates. I can find no 2872074 prerequisites that are not met. I have used 'SFC /scannow' (found in another MS article), but it reveals no issues.

On the Win 7 hosts, I have also tried the IE offline installer 'EIE11_EN-US_WOL_WIN764.EXE' which reports successful, but after a reboot it I am once again back to square 1 (Help >About = IE9). I have also tried the IE10 offline installer and it fails as well. In both the IE10_Main and IE11_Main log files the error is "ERROR: Neutral package installation failed (exit code = 0x00000002 (2))." Following notes on this specific log file error have also been fruitless.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Please!

1. AxelRMSFT says:

@ Rick Stephan
      This particular error suggest corruption and may require a more involved troubleshoot steps.
      The Microsoft platform support team may be able to assist further with these types of scenarios.
      The assumption is that the problem is with the IE11 install it self, but these issues can come out of a prerequisite installation or file system level corruption.

We are working on posting another blog with more IE11 installation failures scenarios that we hope can help further, but for yours a support call may be necessary.

22. eric mosby says:

the command line needs an escape character before the second /c

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c “cmd \/c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart”

1. eric mosby says:

This one has the quotes corrected also

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd \/c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

23. Craig Smith says:

The elevated command prompt command above worked like a charm resolving my 9C59 error. Thank you very much for this.

Skip to main content