IE8: VS 2005 Script debugging is broken after installing IE8 on Windows Vista


Hi everyone!

Veena here to discuss an issue that might affect developers using Visual Studio 2005 to perform client side script debugging.

 

After you install Internet Explorer 8, you may no longer be able to perform client side script debugging using Visual Studio 2005. This issue is discussed in http://blogs.msdn.com/greggm/archive/2009/04/01/script-debugging-broken-in-vs-2005-after-installing-ie8.aspx.

Typically, setting the registry value : TabProcGrowth to a DWORD value of 0 is sufficient to resolve this problem.  However, if you are using Windows Vista, you need to follow ALL of the steps below to resolve this issue:

1) Install VS 2005 update for Vista from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=90e2942d-3ad1-4873-a2ee-4acc0aace5b6&displaylang=en.

2) Install Visual Web Developer express from http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/Default.aspx.  This is to update PDM.DLL to the required version.

Please note:  You don’t need to actually use it and can remove it after it is installed. Visual Web Developer express is the free Express SKU for VS2008.

3) Set the registry value : TabProcGrowth to a DWORD value of 0 under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.

4) Run Visual Studio 2005 with elevated permissions.

 

Please note: This is a problem in Visual Studio 2005 and doesn’t happen with Visual Studio 2008.

 

Regards,

The IE Support Team

Comments (5)

  1. Steve says:

    Thanks for this info.  Any info on why installing IE8 causes WSOD messages in VS2005 to show as unforatted HTML instead of the red bar and a meaningful error info?  It appears that uninstalling IE8 is the only solution.  According to what I can find via Google, first reports of this happening were over a year ago.  Didn’t occur on my XP Pro box until I installed IE8 a couple of weeks ago.

  2. Steffen says:

    Vielen Dank! Nach Installation von IE8 wurden die Haltepunkte in VS2005 entwickelten Websites nicht erreicht. Die Website ließ sich nicht debuggen. Nach Eintrag des o.g. Registryschlüssels läßt sich die Website client- und serverseitig debuggen. Thanks say Steffen

  3. srinivas says:

    Hi Veena, I got my application UI broken because of IE upgradation. No scrolling, UI is not coming in a right way, Please tell me the necessary steps to be taken. Thanks

  4. RanzMig says:

    Hello,

    We have IE10 deployed in our organization (from IE8),

    IEM Cse were cleaned up in GPOs as per KB (support.microsoft.com/…/EN-US) and reset settings already.

    But we keep on getting IE Branding issues in gpresult in most of our existing users except for users that log in as a new profile/first time to a PC.

    It seems that IEM is tattooed on the client machines specifically in their profiles, as deleting and reprofiling gets, rid of the issue, but of course we do not want to do that. Where can we remove it without doing a reprofile?

    Addtionally, I have tried this but no luck: support.microsoft.com/…/2813272

    Please help! Thanks

  5. axelr says:

    @RanzMig  

    IE settings are normally mapped to a registry location and you should be able to track these down and removed the registry key manually.

    The online GPO reference is available at gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/default.aspx and can help you identify gpo policy / registry locations.

    It sounds, like the user hkcu key has these tattooed settings you spoke about. I would suggest to consider opening a ticket with support and use the IE SDP package to help you isolate the issue and they can guide you on best way to clean up your user profiles.

    Perhaps, you may also consider sharing the IE Setting you are having issue with so I can help you mapped it to the registry and give you more ideas as to what else you can do to troubleshoot your case scenario.