How to solve Internet Explorer 8 installation problems

Hi everyone!

Lots of stuff coming out today with the release of IE8 almost upon us.  Here’s another FixIT from Microsoft to assist in solving some installation problems with trying to install the new browser.  The .MSI package is called ResetSecuritySettingsBackToTheDefaults.MSI and it is located here.  The corresponding KB article (KB949220) that discusses the need for this package is located here.

Related Article:

How can I run a “Fix IT” silently?

Regards,

The IE Support Team

1. Ivan Wampfler says:

The installation of the final version of IE8 did not get past the Malicious Software Removal scan after over twenty four hours of scanning.  I aborted the installation and ran the full service OneCare Safety Scanner from Microsoft.  I then tried installing again.  After of over three hours of scanning I used Task Manager to look at running processes.  I noticed that three instances of MRT.exe were running.  I killed all three processes and IE8 continued to install and appears to work well.

I then deleted three folders which contained MRTSTUB.EXE and

am now performing the scan from the Microsoft web site.  The scan appears to be progressing towards completion after scanning over 250,000 files.

2. Sakthivel says:

Respected people, Can some one please let me know how I can install Internet Explorer 8 on pc’s without active Internet Connection. When I try to run the offline installer on pc’s without active internet connections, the installation fails says it can’t download the latest updates.

My mail id is sakthivelsATrediffmailDOTcom

3. drinnonslATyahooDOTcom says:

I tried to load IE 8 and got the error "the procedure point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll" what can I do to fix this because I am currently runnin IE 6 and have lots of trouble loading websites.

4. Keith Collins says:

To: Microsoft Support

I’ve been using IE 8 for some time now with no problems or issues. However, recently immediately after allowing the Microsoft related updates to run (Windows updates) something happened which has caused some problems with IE. Before, I’ve always been able to access my home page when IE starts, but now I’m having a connection issue which results in the message page cannot be viewed, with a diagnost dialog button to check for problems, in which it never finds.

These changes from Windows updates are the only changes that’s been recently made to the unit, and I’m sure one of them had something to do with the problem(s) I’m having now!

I can access some sites, while others fail. So, I know the browser still works, but with whatever happened during the updates has corrupted something for this to happening. Has there been any reports of "Windows Updates" causing such problems, if so, is there a fix? I even tried uninstalling IE8, which was successful, and reverted back to IE7, which also previously worked fine, but the problem carried over, and now exsist in IE7 also!

Please pass this on to Microsoft if possible for evaluation.

Sincerely,

Keith Collins

5. will says:

I have recently installed IE8 from IE6, IE6 was running great but some of the sites were spouting that I needed to go to IE8, my computer won’t even come up after I click on the command to open IE8 it just doesn’t open, and neither will firefox which I was having no problems with before, anyone have any experience with this?

thank you for your time and interest, will

6. Syed Afroz Rizvi says:

Can some one please let me know how I can install Internet Explorer 8 on pc's without active Internet Connection. When I try to run the offline installer on pc's without active internet connections, the installation fails says it can't download the latest updates.

My E-mail-afroz.110@gmail.com