"Remote Desktop Web Connection ActiveX Control Could Not Be Installed" error after Installing Windows XP SP3

Hello there!

My name is Axel Rivera.  I am a Senior Support Escalation Engineer on the IE Support Team.  Of the past few weeks, many of my customers have come across this issue and so I thought this would be a blog that you might find worth while.

When starting the Remote Desktop Web Connection window after installing Windows XP Service Pack 3, the following error may occur:

Remote Desktop Web Connection ActiveX control could not be installed. A connection cannot be made without a working installed version of the control. Please contact the server administrator.

Note:  The Connect button remains grayed out, as well.

This behavior is due to the Microsoft RDP ActiveX Control being disabled installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP1 on your machine.

It’s important to note that you may see other symptoms, as well.  These symptoms include:

If the user tries to enable the ActiveX control using the Manage add-ons dialog in Internet Explorer, the Microsoft RDP Active control may not be listed.

This can happen if a machine is built from an OS image with Service Pack 3 for Windows XP slipstreamed.  Windows XP machines that were upgraded to XP SP3 will likely not have this problem and can enable the control using the process documented in KB Article located here.

To get this working again, please use one of the following methods to enable the ActiveX control:

Method 1
Use the Manage Add-ons dialog in Internet Explorer to enable the Terminal Services ActiveX Control.  See KB951607 for further instruction.

If the ActiveX control is not listed in Manage Add-ons dialog, follow Method 2 below.

Method 2
1. Click Start, Run. Type Regedit.exe and press ENTER

2. Navigate to the following branch:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings

3. Double-click Settings to expand the branch.

4. Right-click {7584c670-2274-4efb-b00b-d6aaba6d3850} and choose Delete
    (Repeat step 4 to delete any other problem keys)

5. Click Yes when asked for confirmation.
    Close all instances of Internet Explorer and re-run Remote Desktop Web Connection.

Registry Solution

Enable the below class ID:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{7584c670-2274-4efb-b00b-d6aaba6d3850}]

Disable the below class ID:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{7584c670-2274-4efb-b00b-d6aaba6d3850}]
“Flags”=dword:00000001
“Version”=”*”

Example of all the registry keys that you may need to delete to make it all work:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{4eb89ff4-7f78-4a0f-8b8d-2bf02e94e4b2}]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{7390f3d8-0439-4c05-91e3-cf5cb290c3d0}]

Note: You may also need to completely remove the below registry keys

More Information:

If the Windows XP/SP3 service pack is download and then extracted, you can find a VBS script that can be used to rectify the problem.

The file name is: tscuinst.vbs

Command: cmd.exe /C “cscript %systemroot%\Installer\TSClientMsiTrans\tscuinst.vbs”

Regards,

The IE Support Team

1. Thank you says:

All other “solutions” offered elsewhere for this problem do not work.  I’ve used Method 2 on multiple machines now.  It works like a charm, with no side effects.  Bookmark this page now.  You will need to do this again!!

2. Dallas Monroe says:

I had found pieces of this article before but none of them worked alone.

Last comment was right.  Book mark this article becuase you will need it again.

3. Kelvin Wong says:

I have the problem on IE8 with Windows 7 RC1. It was okay 3 weeks ago and after some updates for Windows 7, I don’t see RDP in the addon anymore. The solution above don’t work I cannot find the GUID in the HKCU entries as detailed above… any further help?

4. kejs says:

nice, but, now we have ie 8 on top of xp sp3 and i need to install the activex control from scratch on a fresh installation. cant get it to show in add-ons. tnx

5. Jackie says:

(Several months later)

I have this problem. I dont know when it presented.

I can’t connect to the Remote Desktop Client, can’t download the ActiveX, and the Terminal Services ActiveX Control is not in the list in the Manage Add-ons Dialog box.

I tried the Registry Editor (Method 2) solution but {7584c670-2274-4efb-b00b-d6aaba6d3850} is not one of my choices.  I have six other keys listed. How do I know which one to delete? What will happen if I delete any or all of them?

6. Larry says:

Brilliant solution!  Deleting the single registry key worked great on my XPSP3, IE8 – I could not get the add on to show up or load before, and it ran without a hitch after the deletion.

7. Alejandro - Argentina says:

It’snt necesary to delete the entire branch.

Only change de "Flag" value to "0" in the same branch (HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtSettings)

Regards

8. Alay says:

Sir, sorry to tell you that it still doesn’t work  after I have done the things you suggested.

alai7150@163.com

9. Kim says:

Same as Jackie above,  I can’t connect to the Remote Desktop, can’t download the ActiveX, and the Terminal Services ActiveX Controls is not in the list in the Manage Add-ons Dialog box.

I tried the Registry Editor (Method 2) solution but {7584c670-2274-4efb-b00b-d6aaba6d3850} is not one of my choices.  Help?  kmoya54@yahoo.com

10. TJ SMith says:

So, as this began with SP3 and was noted as a problem in February 09, what patch fixed this problem?

11. We’ve experience some clients having this problem after a Microsoft Update. To fix, we go to Control Panels->Internet Options. Then click on Custom Level, scroll down, then ENABLE "Allow Previously unused ActiveX controls to run without permision"

12. TW says:

Hi,

There’s no such add-on available in Win7 IE8 … Does the registry fix work?  ..or is there another solution?

thanks!

13. Nick S says:

I’ve tried all of these and it’s still not working on XP SP3 with IE8… This is getting crazy… I’ve spent at least 2 days trying to resolve this problem and still no luck.  Microsoft, pull your finger out and fix the damn problem for good.

14. herc kant says:

another bit of microsoft garbage, Go Steve jobs and Apple,

My frikkin iphone connects to any terminal perfectly even gets console, something that NO windows desktop can do

15. herc kant says:

and mind you I have been doing Microsoft Sbs Premium with over units users out there, and im getting frustrated at all this blog this registry that, cmd line this.

Microsoft, JUST MAKE IT WORK OUT of the B.O.X,

16. jterrel says:

Also tried everything listed with IE 8 and no luck. In method 2 that registry key is not listed for me. Not sure how it’s been since June and there is still no solution to this problem….

17. Danalogy says:

I’m with the last 5 posts – this is absurd – none of the fixes posted above works.  God help the poor novice users if those of us who are power users can’t get it to work.

18. Danalogy says:

SUCCESS! I finally got it to work following the instructions at the bottom of the page at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951607

Here’s where I started:

Remove the following registry key, if it exists:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtSettings{7584C670-2274-4EFB-B00B-D6AABA6D3850}

Once the registry key is removed, exit and restart Internet Explorer, and try to connect to the remote computer or start the remote application again.

Exit Internet Explorer.

Click Start, click Run, and the type or copy and paste the following text in the Open box, and click OK:

%windir%system32regsvr32 mstscax.dll

At the confirmation prompt, click OK.

Restart Internet Explorer, and try to connect to the remote computer or start the remote application.

VOILA! After running the command above I was able to connect!  Best of luck to you, if your experience is like mine, you’ll need it.

19. Derek says:

I didn’t have the key listed at the above locations but did search the registry and found it several other places. Deleted the entry under where found it under the only IE reg entry and that worked. Sorry didn’t pay attention to the exact reg path.

20. Matt says:

Tried deleting the registry key and re-registering mstscax.dll – no luck. Tried enabling all previously downloaded activex controls – no luck.  Tried resetting IE to default configuration – no luck.

Its been nearly a year and there are still folks with issues.

Can someone at MS actually pick up this dropped ball?

21. NBird says:

ok… like some many others who have posted here, I spent so much time on this I was about to quit!… but I finally found what worked for me:

First off, I went to the registry and backed it up first, then deleted ALL instances of key {7584C670-2274-4EFB-B00B-D6AABA6D3850}.

Second, I registered the following: C:WINDOWSsystem32regsvr32.exe mstscax.dll

Third: I downloaded KB956744 – http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d1f82d76-eeb2-4ff4-9d2c-46882f214719&displaylang=en

(I am running RDP 6.0 – if you are running an earlier version try downloading KB948469)

Once the security update installed successfully, I closed my browser, reopened the remote site and BINGO!

I truly hope this fix will help some of you who are still struggling with this issue.

Good luck,

N.Bird

22. david says:

I found using FireFox instead of IE fixes the problem. Come on MS

23. G Carlisle says:

The solution posted by N. Bird worked for me.

24. Brian says:

Ok, NBird has it.  But you shouldn’t need to reinstall the RDP if you are on SP3, just regsrvr32 mstscax.dll  and it works!

25. Ashutosh says:

Thanks so much NBird. I was also about to give up but installing KB956744 did the trick!!!

26. JasonM says:

Just wanted to confirm that the above post from NBird solved my problem.  I had undertaken all his steps except for the downloading of KB956744 .  That fixed the Remote Desktop ActiveX control errors

Thanks!

27. John Heller says:

Hi,

This is a fix only for the current user. If you create a new user, the same problem is present. I am trying to deploy HP Thin Client boxes at a remote site. These are in a shared area and the idea is that any user can sit down at any thin client and be able to login using his domain credentials. The trouble is, the active x is not enabled so they cant access the Windows 2008 terminal server. It is not feasable to have a user call my IT support team every time they sit down at the thin clients. I need a fix that patches the underlying problem in the registry, not just fixes the HKEY CURRENT USER. Every fix I have googled has only worked on the currently created user which is no solution at all in the real world.

Regards,

John.Heller@imparja.com.au

28. Mukesh says:

Thanks for the concise info ; simple solution of enabling Active-X control in IE for XP. Worked for me!

29. Mukesh says:

30. amanda says:

This worked!!!  Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

31. Abhinav Sharma says:

Hi, This issue caused due XP SP3. One very easy solution is to upgrade your RDP client version. Upgrading RDP client will also create necessary registry, RDP web components and ActiveX. Before deleting reg entries mentioned above please try to install RDP client 7.0 I am sure it will fix the issue.

You can obtain the latest RDP client from below URL.

32. Dave Brasser says:

The issue can also be the "ActiveX Filtering" option, this happens a lot.

You can also disable this by using group policy >

support.microsoft.com/…/2522815

33. Peter van der Laan says:

Thanks Abhinav Sharma. I had the same issue in XP SP3 and tried all of the above, without any success.

I downloaded and installed the latest RDP client version and finally solved the problem 🙂

34. Mark Williamson says:

NBird !! YOU a GENIUS !!! .. solved the problem!! after trying all other fixes .. this did it!!!!!