Issues with Microsoft File Transfer Manager..

Lately we’ve had to field some customer issues regarding failures when attempting to use FTM.  I wanted to clarify that FTM is not part of Internet Explorer – it’s a separate download, located at  This tool has no formal support mechanism through CSS, so we are unable to request changes to the tool or assist in getting potential bugs resolved.  The best we can do is point you to the troubleshooting guide located at and provide “best effort” assistance using the details outlined there.

The IE Support Team

1. Marc Mangus says:

I agree. This situation is unacceptable. MS is forcing us to use an UNSUPPORTED TOOL to download images we pay for with our subscription with NO alternative available? How can this be right?

2. Andy Another says:

This tool does not work. I've been trying to download a DVD image from MSDN for two days, from multiple machines. It will start downloading, and simply stop 10 MB or 100MB later, showing either status == Active or status == Interrupted. Clicking Resume may (or may not) Resume the download. Tell me what's wrong with FTP, exactly?

I'll refrain from describing the nightmare of signing up for MSDN in the first place.

3. Yetti Another says:

Yes, I ALWAYS have trouble with this thing.  Sometimes I have to have HTTPS checked, sometimes I don't, sometimes it just doesn't work at all.  And it looks like it was built in VB6.

I think it's time for an upgrade for all us multi-thousand dollar MSDN subscriptions.  Is this really the best download option?

El Dorko said it best.  Bury it somewhere deep where no one will ever find it and we will never speak of it again.

4. paul says:

I agree and I can not get the Microsoft Transfer Manager  to download

5. Robert says:

the link to download FTM listed here gives a 401 error You are not authorized to view this page

6. Shocking says:

I've just tried to get the thing working on 2008, 2003, XP all using IE8.. I've installed FTM manually with the MSI file still no joy.  Not using 64 bit either.   The thing won't launch anymore.  I've just tried to download 4GB over an hour via firefox and the ISO was corrupted so it seems.   So now back to IE.   Hoping IE will just download it normally as it isn't using FTM for some reason, not sure why.   But the entire thing with security and the link is a joke, try getting it to download on a server!   We pay about $26,000 per year for MSDN and this is the service we get. Not impressed at all.

7. Ed Beech says:

Unfortunately, the two links you provide at the top of the page return the message:

You are not authorized to view this page

So here I am with MSDN download subscription with which I cannot even get the File Transfer Manager. No FTM, do MSDN downloads, no MSP downloads.

8. Rashid Ansari says:

Frustrating – everybody is complaining that MSDN subscriptions are not being downloaded. FTM is not working at all. But no solution from microsoft yet.