Recently, we have a case that BizTalk BPA (Best Practices Analyzer) has connection issue. This BPA is the old version 188.8.131.52.
In one domain environment, BizTalk Server 2006 is installed on one machine and SQL Server 2005 is installed on another machine. Create a new instance (e.g. Domain\Testinstance) on SQL Server and configure BizTalk Server onto the created SQL Server instance.
When starting a scan from BPA UI console on the BizTalk Box, the scan will finish but the report tells that the scan is not successful. The error is:
“Unable to Perform Best Practices Analyzing Because the Analyzer could not connect to BizTalk Management Database"
Then looking into the data file, by default, the data file in folder
“C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\BizTalkBPA”
There is the error in the data file:
"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server”
To solve the issue, upgrade BPA to the newest version 184.108.40.206
Since currently, there is no single update patch for BPA, the only way to upgrade is from the UI interface. For those BPA running on a no internet access environment, please refer to the following manually update steps:
1. Find one machine that can access internet, install and upgrade BPA to 220.127.116.11
2. Go to BizTalkBPA installation folder, copy the next 2 files from ‘En’ sub folder
3. Go to BizTalkBPA installation folder, copy the next 2 files
4. Transfer these 4 files to the target machine that BPA installed but no internet access.
5. Go to BizTalkBPA installation folder, and backup the ‘En’ folder.
6. Before update to newest version, in sub folder ‘En’, you can see there are two files.
Rename these two files to BizTalkBPA.chm.18.104.22.168 and BizTalkBPA.config.xml.22.214.171.124
7. Copy the following two files to ‘En’ sub folder.
8. Copy the following two files to BPA installation folder.
9. After that, you can start a scan to see whether the report is generated correctly.
**Note** This way is not the official way to update BPA, it can work, but we still recommend that you use internet to update BPA directly.