Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Another error on executing SQL Server 2008 Management Studio and just trying to connect to Database Engine. Though after pressing OK on the error mentioned, everything works but Management Node won’t work and you would keep on getting this error again and again.

Apart from this if you are trying to configure Microsoft BizTalk Server 2009 – BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime it would also fail with the same error, rest all the BizTalk components would function.

To resolve this, follow the steps below:

1. Run Command Prompt and find the location of the DLL using

> dir Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll /s

2. Copy the location with the DLL name.

3. Run VS 2008 Command Prompt as Administrator.

4. Execute the following

GACUTIL –i “{Location of Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll} found at step 1”

And both the situations would get resolved.

1. James says:

What if you can't find the file? Do you know what programupdate its contained in?

2. Thato Mantai says:

This worked. Thanks a lot. Somehow I didn't have the  Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll on my PC. So I copied one from somebody else PC.

Ran  GACUTIL –i Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll

3. ZE says:

I installed SQL Server 2008 and than the SP1.

The File "Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll " is not found!

4. Hans says:

I installed SQL Express 2008 (SP2, 64 bit) and SQL Server Management Studio 2008 (64 bit). But there is no "Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll". Neither in "C:Windowsassembly" nor elsewhere on my harddisk. And "gacutil.exe" only exists in the x86 directories.

5. Nitin says:

I installed 'SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Objects' and it solved the problem for me. It can be downloaded from…/details.aspx

6. mehndi says:

Hans did you tried using the following command:

c:> dir Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll /s

7. Hope you are trying to install the SQL server 2008 R2 by having the default windows .net feature.

Try to install the .Net 3.5 SP1 or 4.0 , which will solve your problem.

8. sravanya says:

I got  file not found error for this command in command promt

dir Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll /s

Please help me

9. chinchin says:

thanks Nitin~ your suggest is worked~~

10. Dieter says:

I get the following ERROR when trying to run it:

GACUTIL is not recognized as an internal or externqal command, operable program or batch file

11. Sarmad says:

kindly tell where i find dll file cz when i run command on command prompt it shows no file found..plz help..