WssDal – a Sharepoint Web Services alternative

About 2 months ago I asked if anyone was interested in an alternative to the WSS webservices. A few people responded and tried my WssDal library. The general consensus seems to be that while it isn’t perfect, it is useful enough to continue developing. So if anyone else wants to give it a test drive, the library (complete with full source code, some light samples, setup instructions and documentation) is available HERE.

Bug reports, feature requests, etc are most welcome. If there is any interest in collaboration I’ll happily open a workspace on GDN or SourceForge for this.

As with any code downloaded from my blog: you use this at your own risk. See the full disclaimer on my blog homepage if you don’t know what I mean by that.

3/7/2005 Update: In the first 5 days WssDal was downloaded over 200 times. So how about some feedback? I want to make it better, but I need your input!

1. Hi addy, just skimmed through your documentation on WssDal, looks really useful. I will give it a try and come back on it! Thanks for the work!

2. Mohamed Zaki says:

Hi Addy, I came through WSSDal, it’s really wonderful, i just downloaded it and have great hopes, Thank you Addy

3. Kris Goossens says:

Hi Addy, getting something to work in just a few minutes usualy doesn’t happen to me. Well, now it did, thx very much, looks great already. My documents in the document sample library showed as empty lines, i didn’t get a closer look at it yet. Thx !

4. Kris Goossens says:

Works fine now, my WSS is in a different language (dutch), had to translate some fieldnames.

5. Anonymous says:

Patrick Tisseghem’s Blog

6. mitchm says:

Addy,

This looks like the beginnings of something really cool – and I already have project in mind to utilize it’s capabilities.

Just going through the source and help, I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Can you add descriptions to the help file for each of the parameters of the function calls to help us better understand what is going on?

2) Also, and a minor issue, but I noticed that the help file and library are not in sync. Some of the parameters are missing from the help file.

3) Could you add CheckOut functionality to DownloadDocument, to mirror the same functionality in UploadDocument?

Thanks, Mitch

7. Little-Finger says:

Cool…

But when I try to add your webservice as a web reference in VS I get following message:

The document at the url http://localhost/_vti_bin/WssDalLists.asmx was not recognized as a known document type.

The error message from each known type may help you fix the problem:

– Report from ‘WSDL Document’ is ‘The document format is not recognized (the content type is ‘text/html; charset=utf-8′).’.

– Report from ‘DISCO Document’ is ‘There was an error downloading ‘http://localhost/_vti_bin/WssDalLists.asmx?disco’.’.

– The request failed with the error message:

<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>

<h2>Object moved to <a href=’http://localhost/_layouts/1033/error.aspx?ErrorText=File%20Not%20Found%2E‘>here</a>.</h2>

</body></html>

–.

– Report from ‘XML Schema’ is ‘The document format is not recognized (the content type is ‘text/html; charset=utf-8′).’.

I think I’m missing the wsdl file, can you help me with this?

thx