Is anyone else getting Blog-Spammed today?

Update: Jesse recommends reporting this guy to his affiliates.

I got multiple (~10 at last count but they are still coming) spam comments today containing URLs which redirect to a lowlife-type website <URL removed> .  This spam is especially annoying since it appears to be tailored specifically for technology-related blogs – notice the reference to MSDN:

Sample Spam #1:

Sender: Hilary O hanlan
IP Address:
em… Have you tested this?, I am not 100% on this stuff

Spam #2:

Sender: Hilary Dunne
IP Address:
The Msdn docs differ from above, I would deffinitely dispute the last
bit in the main points you mentioned, however could you clarify the last

Spam #3:

Sender: Steven Mc Colgan
IP Address:
My work colleague read this and I am not an expert on all this

Notice that they are all from the same IP address, which is part of a block allocated to Bulldog Communictions (located in London).  I have already contacted their ISP although I don’t have high hopes that Bulldog will do the right thing… ISPs often don’t bother.

1. Matt Hawley says:

Yup, got 2 of em. Same IP as well.

2. Rogelio says:

Spamming blogs and emails… what a fool.

3. christoc says:

nothing on mine yet today.. thanksfully.

4. Fabrice says:

Yes a lot of them. Same IP.

But could you please remove ASAP the links your just added to them in this post as well as the comments? We should not leave a single link alive to them.

And you should request their ISP to do something about it, as I did.

5. Addy Santo says:

I already contacted the ISP to complain. But why remove the remarks? I want to be able to show the originals to the ISP if they request it. I will kill them later on when they aren’t required.

6. Fabrice says:

Seems common sense to me to stop providing traffic to spammers!

You are just giving them a lot of visibility as everybody will click on your links to pay a visit to their site. Why not just giving them money instead??? And I am not even talking about all the Google juice they’re winning…

7. Fabrice says:

Don’t forget the links in your three spam samples.

Thanks 🙂

8. Sonu Kapoor says:

Same here..I didnt get any spams till yet. I hope this will stay so.

9. Lance says:

~65 for me so far…. 🙁

10. David Cumps says:

luckily only 3, on my very first blog post 🙂

11. Kent Sharkey says:

In addition to the irritation that he’s trying to boost his Google ranking, he’s also tracking every hit to the eventual destination. There’s a script that writes a webbug at the bottom of the page.

I know we’re supposed to be the happy, friendly MSFT now, but someone take a hammer to the guy… :-@

TTFN – Kent

12. Dave Burke says:

I got 8 today. I’m with Kent on grabbing the hammer to these bastards.

13. Just remove the links, you’re actually contributing to the problem if his links stay up, that helps his google rankings 🙂

14. Tim Marman says:

I got a lot – lost count, but I went and manually deleted each as they came in.

Looks like it must have been automated (script making HTTP requests, perhaps?). Randomized names, randomized dyndns addresses, etc.

Maybe if Scott shares the logs etc, someone can come up with a way to fight this in the future.

15. Keefey says:

From what I’ve heard, Bulldog is a pretty respectable London-based ISP (broadband only), so fingers crossed they get the culprits.

I’m more aghast at the spelling used in the SPAMs.