Error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017 upgrading to Windows 10 build 10162

We are all excited about the upcoming release of Windows 10 on the 29th of July. In the meantime, you can install a preview version from the Windows Insider web page, or if you’d like to wait, you can reserve your free upgrade by following the steps here.

At the beginning…

At Microsoft, we are at the forefront of the ‘self-hosting’ ballgame. Some time back, I had installed Windows 10 preview build 10074. This week, with the newer builds being released in rapid succession, I decided to switch the Preview Build frequency to ‘Windows Insider Fast’ so that I could get hold of the latest (at the time) 10162 build:

image

Everything seemed to work alright with the update to 10162…

image

… till the point where it rebooted the computer:

image

Ahem…

Instead of seeing the usual ‘Upgrading Windows, sit tight..’ screen, this is what I saw:

clip_image002

Well. the keyboard layout screen was certainly not expected! But when I selected US keyboard, it asked me whether I wanted to Troubleshoot or shutdown; which is again quite strange:

clip_image004

So I played along and tried to troubleshoot, at which stage I was basically left with options such as Reset the PC:

clip_image006

And even Reset PC failed with a helpful error message that the ‘drive where Windows is installed is locked’:

clip_image010

Left with no option - post reboot, I was greeted with the infamous error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017, which has plagued some users in the Windows 8.1 upgrade as well:

image

Some clues

At this time, I also noticed a very strange issue: any USB mass storage device I would plug in to the laptop was not assigned a drive letter. It would show up in Disk Management, but when I would try to give it a drive letter, Disk Management would popup a cryptic message: ‘The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer’.

Well, this was getting stranger and stranger! But somehow, it appeared that the two issues were inter-related. Internally, I was told that the error code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 was also related to USB drivers. And the above disk management error was in the past attributed to ‘ghost’ drives.

Hide and seek

With that clue in mind, I took at look at my Device Manager screen and enabled the ‘Show Hidden Devices’ under the View menu. In my case, I found some devices under Storage Volumes which only showed up when Hidden Devices were enabled. And those were clearly not attributed to any devices I had installed on my laptop (i.e. I had nothing related to Roxio Saib in reality on my laptop):

image

So I decided to delete these hidden Roxio devices (in another case where I had seen an identical problem the devices showed up as Unknown Device under Storage Volumes, in which case I proceeded to delete those Unknown Devices under Storage Volumes).

WARNING: Using Device Manager incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from deleting incorrect devices can be solved. Use these steps at your own risk. Please note again that in this walkthrough, we have only deleted Hidden, Unknown devices which were listed under the Storage Volumes category.

clip_image002[5]

There were two of these Roxio Saib devices (which clearly did not apply to my laptop) and I proceeded to clean both instances up, followed by a reboot:

image

We’re there!

After the reboot, I re-tried the Update:

image

At the end of this, and post restart, lo and behold! The expected ‘Upgrading Windows’ screen appeared:

clip_image002[7]

And after around 20 minutes, the upgrade to 10162 was done successfully!

clip_image004[5]

For those of you who had the misfortune to run into the error code 0xc1900101 - 0x20017 when upgrading to Windows 10, I hope this walkthrough helps you get unblocked! And in case you are still unsure or not confident of what to do, please contact Microsoft Customer Services and Support to get more direct help on your issue.

1. techno says:

For me on an AsRock AMD system with ahci enabled at a clean install of Win10 x64 the solution was to add the AMD SATA  and the AMD PCI Controller drivers during install, which I excerpted from the newest AMD driver pack (AMD AHCI controller driver distribution list Version 1.3.001.0276, 04/10/2015 and amdhdc.cat Driver Ver=06/28/2013,5.2.2.0179).

That worked perfekt for me , I got Win 10 installed without problems!

2. Bri says:

None of this worked for me on my Samsung RV511

1. navneet says:

Hey i even have a Samsung RV511 and have been facing the same problem.Any idea how to solve this?

3. James says:

I'm upgrading from win 7 home premium to win 10 I'm getting the same error. I looked in device manager and it shows 8 generic volumes under storage volumes. Can anyone help me?

1. CoachEJK says:

I had to upgrade the bios for my motherboard – AsRock A75 PRO4. Also updated the firmware for my ssd but that didn’t help.

4. plonk420 says:

i'm having issues installing Win10 RTM/Windows Update version on a Haswell Pentium G3258.

Error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017 "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

it USED to work back in 10130, but no version i've tried since then has worked, even from fresh installs. is a fix from Microsoft's side coming any time soon?

5. Joe says:

Having the same error, only weird devices I have under Storage Volumes are some "Generic Device"-s, no idea what those are but it feels icky to remove them. I've Googled around for days now in search for a solution, seen that many people solved this by so many different methods. But all-in-all it seems to be either a BIOS-related issue, or a driver-related one, as people have solved the same error in different ways. Very close to giving up here, sucks not to be able to install a new OS on a 6 months old, brand new workstation…

6. @plonk420 – The SAFE_OS phase errors might be due to disk errors… can you validate using CHKDSK first?

7. @Joe: if those Storage Volume entries appear ONLY when you enable the 'Show Hidden Devices' option then very well those are the reason. That said, I re-iterate my disclaimer:

8. srini says:

Got error 0xC1900101 – 0X20017 "The installation failed in the SARE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation" while installing on Win 7 Home Premium with upgrade option. confusing with all inputs. Is there any KI item to refer to fix this problem ?

9. Nikhil says:

But what if ,

I have the same error, but in my system there are no Roxio Saib in volume storage..

But I got the same error while installing,,..

Anyother things need to be done.??

Pls. elaborate

10. Nikhil kumar says:

What to do, when it is showing the same error, though i didn't found those "ROXIE SAIB" files in storage volumes, but  when i click and expand storage colume, I see only 4 generic volumes..

What to do, please elaborate

11. Tashree Shareef says:

For me disabling Internal WLAN and Internal Bluetooth from BIOS Settings and removing the RAM worked. I have also written post on this here >> http://www.technicalnotes.org/fix-we-couldnt-install-windows-10-error-0xc1900101-0x20017-while-installing.  You may want to included it in the blog post.

I removed the extra RAM that I added after buying the PC. Don't know why, but it worked perfectly fine.

12. Nate says:

Same issue. No roxio devices. The group "storage volumes" only shows up when I show hidden devices. It is filled with "Generic Volume" 14 of them.

I'll try disabling a lot of networking devices. Many extraneous ones show up when showing the hidden ones.

Would someone at microsoft please answer me this:

If they are using an over the top, arcane tool to "fingerprint" my hardware instead of giving me a Windows 10 key. AND, at the same time, people like me with wildly non-standard systems are having issues…

WHY DON'T WE HAVE AN ACTIVATION TOOL TO "FINGERPRINT" MY PC FIRST AND DO A CLEAN INSTALL AFTER?!??!

You want to know why this is burning me up? Circumstances have me stuck without my usual 30mb cable broadband service. My windows downloads have to share a 1mb dsl line with a tv that streams netflix most of the day. And the "media creation tool" can't or won't verify that the files already exist. One attempt at upgrading takes an average of 19 hours of download time. These failures have cost me a week already with no end in sight.

13. James says:

Had the same problem, tried 90% of the fixes none worked until I installed a graphics card and stopped using the onboard graphics on ms-7184 motherboard then 10 installed just fine.

14. Neal says:

Hey, I don't know if anyone is still supporting this thread… but I'm not able to install windows 10 on my new computer… I have a disk for windows 10 but cannot boot from it, nor can I install it normally, as I get the topic error after restart.

I've also rendered my computer as useful as a paper weight and tried to boot from disk with a fail. reinstalled windows 7 and 8.1 to find the exact same error persists with both OSs.  Does anyone have any tried and true method of installing this OS?

15. plonk420 says:

@Arvind Shyamsundar: seems it's some update to mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll in any version after build 10130 and Pentium G3258 CPUs (and a couple others) on non-Z chipset motherboards.

i'm not sure if the intent was to lock out overclockers, but the current solution involves updating the BIOS (which disables overclocking), ***assuming the motherboard manufacturer releases a fix***, or deleting mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll until Microsoft releases a fix from their side. and i'm concerned about the impact on OS security (or stability after future updates that impact this file) if i WERE to delete/rename it.

the frustrating thing is that i'm not overclocked, and yet i still get that error message.

16. jay says:

when am upgrade the windows 10 , it complete a second boot and take restart , so the error code 0xc1900101 -0x40017 plese guide me

17. Rick says:

Also have AsRock AMD A75 Pro4-M. After two days of driver updates etc. Updated BIOS to latest version. Almost well AFTER upgrade from MSW7 to 10 all my office 2010 suite software is no longer activated.

18. Sheila J says:

I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 and got this error message Error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017, I tried looking at my device manger and all I saw was generic volume. I can not reset my computer. when I try to reset my computer and when it tries to reboots it stops at the HP logo and does nothing else. I cant open cortona or when I click on the windows button nothing happens. I have to right click to do anything.

1. Christopher says:

The error 0xC1900101-0x20017 is caused because “Safe OS which is the first boot of the Windows 10 upgrade has no exception handling.
      In simple English any error in the hardware or software causes the Safe OS to fail with an error code.
      Since there are many possibilities for the upgrade to fail, the first contact should be HP.
      The specific error code 0xC1900101-0x20017 is usually a hardware problem with Safe OS communicating with the hard disk/SSD,
      or the disk is encrypted and can not be read by Safe OS.

19. sck says:

my computer was updated. it was working fine. after this current update. it stop booting. i had to restore it back to win7. now it giving me this error and work let me update.

20. Jeff Senger says:

Hello; I tried installing Windows 10 pro on an Asus g73jh this morning. error 0xC1900101- 0x2000C. installation failed in the SAFE_OS
    phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation. What do I do?????

Skip to main content