Effective technical presentations: a mind-map

Over the last year I’ve been fortunate enough to be trained by some top-notch professionals from the world of media and big-stage events on how to deliver world-class sessions – whether it be a multi-day training, a short TechEd session, an online meeting or webcast, or even a video recording.

From those trainings and also from my experiences delivering and coaching my fellow colleagues to deliver world-class technical sessions, I’ve seem many patterns emerge. Some of these are ‘must-do’ items and some of them are ‘do NOT do this’ type items.

So over time, I’ve been putting together a mind-map of what can help us make great technical presentations. I’m sharing this with the broader community now, in the hope that it helps you and more importantly to solicit your feedback and comments – that’s the way we ALL learn!

Here we go! And do not forget to comment and leave your questions, thoughts and feedback!

(Please click on the thumbnail below to see the full size view.)

Effective On-stage Tech Presentations mind map

1. Kris says:

This is cool. What tool are you using for the mind maps?

2. Labs says:

Nice one. if doing labs, I Keep a set of Virtual machines (or a snapshot)  handy where the labs have already been done. this helps me to "gain" time wrt the pace of the class.

3. Sandeep K says:

Comprehensive and a lot of attention to detail that could otherwise be missed. Very well done.

4. Jamie Nast says:

Love the Mind Map! My blog current has 429 Idea Maps or Mind Maps along with the stories of those who created them ideamapping.ideamappingsuccess.com. If you have other examples I would be happy to post one or more on my blog, you tell me the story behind them and I'll link back to this blog or anywhere else you prefer.

5. Stef says:

I must say mind-mapping can be used for much more than presenting material. For example, me and my team have been using a mind-mapping tool (www.dropmind.com) for our brainstorming sessions and we can really see the benefits!

6. arvindsh says:

Kris, I used FreeMind for this one.

7. Pravin Pandit says:

Good one. Covered all key points needs to be considered while presentation. Very helpful tips!