Microsoft Report Viewer 2012 update: a ‘gotcha’ to be aware of

Something which I have been waiting for a long time has finally been released! The ReportViewer 2012 redistributable RTM package is available for download now!

Deployment notes

FYI, ReportViewer is used by Management Studio (SSMS), other utilities and also by any custom application which uses this to render local RDLC reports, or within a web application to view remotely rendered reports.

SQL 2012 installation deploys ReportViewer if the Management Tools are selected for installation. The other shipping vehicle for the ReportViewer control is Visual Studio 2012. This blog post pertains more to the case where we installed ReportViewer through the normal SQL 2012 installer.

FYI, you can view the ReportViewer 2012 assembly version at C:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms\….. Right clicking on the assembly, and viewing the Details tab will give you the version of the DLL.

Note the ‘gotcha’

Now, the updated runtime release will deploy the equivalent of SQL 2012 SP1 binaries, so you get the latest and greatest bits! These should deploy a 11.0.3010 version for the Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll file (and other files as well.)

Now, here’s the ‘note from the field’ thing which you can only get from me Smile If you just install SQL 2012 SP1 (without later running the above download) it does not seem to update the ReportViewer control. Normally this may not have much visible impact, but if you are like me, you may want to keep the runtime up to date due to the number of important fixes in such updated versions.

Test case

In my tests, just applying SQL 2012 SP1 installation did NOT upgrade the runtime to 11.0.3000. It was still at 11.0.2100. However, applying the above updated runtime MSI will upgrade the runtime to 11.0.3010.

Your checkpoint is that the version of ReportViewer 2012 assembly under C:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms\….. should finally be 11.0.3010 or higher. (repeat this check for the other controls such as Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms as well.

So in short, if you use ReportViewer – either indirectly (like in SSMS) or directly (through custom applications developed using Visual Studio 2012) it is highly recommended to update your RTM ReportViewer 11.0 runtime to the latest version using the MSI from the download link.

1. Theo Harper says:

Thanks for this post.

I have issue where after installing ReportViewer 2012 Redist (11.0.3010.3), I can't add reference to the assembly in Visual Studi.  I can only see the variants.  I have checked the GAC and the newer version are installed but bot available.

Any ideas?

2. Hi Theo is there any error you receive? And are you referencing the Webforms or Winforms control? And what is the framework version for your project?

3. Theo Harper says:

Hi Arvind,

I realised the mistake I was making, assemblies added to the GAC do not show up in Visual Studio, as they are used at runtime only.

So I have simply copied the ones I required into a common library folder,.  I could add this folder to VS2010, but this works fine for me.

4. yanyan says:

hello can you teach me on how to install report viewer in vb?? and how to add it in toolbox? thanks

5. Gary says:

Very helpful, thanks.

6. JR says:

Has anyone been able to resolve the issue with having other versions ReportViewer? I'm not including them in my solution so I don't see why I keep getting this error:

"The base class includes the field 'ReportViewer1', but its type (Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer) is not compatible with the type of control (Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer)."

7. JR says:

Using web forms with the .NET Framework 4.5

8. Which version of VS.NET? 2013? Are you referencing any types / controls which may in turn host a ReportViewer control?

9. JR says:

I'm using Visual Studio Express 2012. I don't receive that error anymore. The only thing that I did differently was install Report Builder. Other than that, I followed your instructions. Thanks for the help.

10. StMiller says:

I am having a similar issue.  I download the Runtime version of 11.0 and run the install which goes without a hitch, but when I go to add the item in my toolbox for 11.0 I only see 9 and 10 available.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times and no folder for reportviewer appears in my Visual Studio 11.0 folder.

I am using VS Express 2012 for Web and my machine is 64 bit.

11. Anonymous says:

I am using RDLC , Reportviewer 2012 and visual studio 2013. I have added Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll,Microsoft.ReportViewer.DataVisualization.dll , Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll and Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll for WPF based application.  I am able to generate the report at dev environment. When I run the report from installation from test client machine " Could n't load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SQLServer.Types.dll" . My dll's are being referenced from project related lib folder and not from GAC. I have set Local Copy = true as well. Is Microsoft.SQLServer.Types a mandatory for Reportviewer 2012 ?

12. Yes, the Microsoft.SQLServer.Types is a dependency.

13. Deshkar RR says:

Dear Arvind,

Thanks for the valuable info.

I have recently migrated my VS2008 solution to VS2012 and the Report Viewer Control being used has also been updated to use all 11.0 DLLs (which were installed using SSDT for VS 2012). But we do not have SQL 2012 in production setup. What should be the way forward?

How will the production support these new 11.0 DLLS without SQL 2012 being present ?

14. The controls do not depend on SQL itself being present. All you need to do is install the redistributable (which I had linked to in this post) on production and you should be good to go. Redist link:…/details.aspx

15. MFischer says:

I've downloaded the msi, installed it. Getting odd results when I run my reports the ones where I pass the parameters from the web site wok well , the others where I select parameters in report viewer never show/report on anything but the defaults.

Also the version never moves from 11,0.0.0. I just have an assembly folder.

16. Michael says:

I cant even fix this issue.  Thankfully i have Hyper V vm and took a snapshot before installing.  When i reinstalled the ReportViewer 2012 Redist , the reinstall fails at the end and rolls back

17. Mike Johnson says:

my IIS and SSRS on are different machines. Do I install this on the IIS box or the SSRS box ?

18. @Mike – do this on the consumer side i.e. the IIS box.

19. Sweet MBH says:

Thks, it was very helpful ! I did not notice that it dit not change the version

20. Rob Drake says:

I'm using vs2012 and doing a web deployment and using reportviewer.  I received the following message when running the report on a hosted web server :

Report Viewer Configuration Error

The Report Viewer Web Control HTTP Handler has not been registered in the application's web.config file. Add <add verb="*" path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" type = "Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" /> to the system.web/httpHandlers section of the web.config file, or add <add name="ReportViewerWebControlHandler" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="*" path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" /> to the system.webServer/handlers section for Internet Information Services 7 or later.

I've updated the web.config file as requested and I still get the same message so I guess it's not the web.config file. Any help, thanks.

21. Chitranjan V. says:

Hi Arvin,

Thanks for this post.

It really helped to install it and go on with rest of the business of installing the webapp.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Chitranjan V.

22. Amit says:

I fetch this problem in reports viewer 11.0 version in Visual studio 2013.

"The base class includes the field 'ReportViewer2', but its type (Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer) is not compatible with the type of control (Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer)."

what i am do ? any suggestion…..

please reply this mail id

23. James says:

the "Report Viewer Configuration Error" means that the version of report viewer used in development is different from the one installed on the web server.

24. Nekesh says:

This version do not allow to hide the pdf export options. Any Comments..

25. Shantanu says:

I do not have SQL server/VS installed in the server where i am deploying the code. I am simply creating iis server and hosting the website. I am also getting same error whenever i am deploying  the code in server. I can eliminate the error manually by deleting the report viewer from config file. But this can not be a way out. What should i do now?

26. David Dobson says:

I have VWD 2008 and report viewer 2008 installed.

Im wanting to use MICROSOFT REPORT VIEWER 2012 RUNTIME on IIS.

But I get the error:

Can you tell what version to user for the 2012 runtime?

How can I go coy my website from developer 2008 testing to IIS 2012 live without changing my code?

27. David Dobson says:

I have VWD 2008 with report view 2008 add-in.

I can view my reports in the developer but get this error in IIs:

Exception message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Im assuming i new the new vsion number and PublickKeyToken.  If so how do i get them?

This there a way to run it in the developer and copy to IIS with out having to change code?

28. @David Dobson: the version for the ReportViewer 2012 is 11.0. EASY WAY to locate the assembly is to use the Visual Studio references dialog and add a reference to the correct version.

HARD WAY: You can find these assemblies at c:windowsassemblygac_msilMicrosoft.ReportViewer.WebForms10.0…. (the full path may vary on your computer). You can only directly access this location from a CMD prompt or such.

29. sokey says:

I have problem with report viewer my report is not good with screen solution…..