The software titan reviewed its security approach to cloud computing and developed new strategies. Here’s what one Microsoft cloud expert says he’s learned.
- Discuss risk with customers. The security of cloud services worries many customers, and it should.
- Pay attention to compliance. Larger enterprise customers want to understand the controls, but how many companies can I let into a data center?
- Better standards needed. To serve customers better, the large cloud providers need to work together to standardize across their platforms.
- Privacy and security are not so different. As Microsoft applied cloud-computing models to its services and data centers, the difference between security and privacy nearly disappeared.
- Don’t generalize on cloud security. Companies need to look at specific areas and address them properly. There is not a single thing that can be done across the whole cloud-computing spectrum.