Our AppConsult team was fortunate to host an area at BUILD again this year. In total we assisted 173 customers. We were partnered with folks from the Centennial and UX Teams.
In addition our team assisted at the 24hr Hackathon which started after BUILD on Friday at 6pm and ended at 6pm Saturday evening. You can see the awesome apps devs built at that hackathon - http://build-2016-hackathon.devpost.com/submissions
Naturally, BUILD had big announcements, including:
- Windows 10's "Anniversary Update" Is Coming This Summer – see keynote
- Xamarin for Cross Platform Development - free and open sourced! – see xamarin
- Bash on Windows - This isn’t an emulator or virtualized app - Bash running natively directly in Windows. – see Bash.
- Biometric Authentication - Windows 10 UWP & Edge – see biometric.
- Windows Store Unified With Xbox One – UWP on Desktop and Xbox (note: these will be curated). Also A user can flip a simple switch to turn their Xbox One into a dev kit. – see xbox.
- Cortana Learns Some New Tricks – see Cortana.
- AI Tools Help Developers Build Powerful Chat Bots – see bots.
- Visual Studio 2016 Update 2 - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691129 (includes RS1 SDK)
- Visual Studio 15 Preview (not to be confused with VS 2015) - https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-next-downloads-vs.aspx
A Few Good Links
- All Sessions: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016
- Labs (3 new UWP): https://github.com/microsoft-Build-2016/
- Cross-Platform Mobile with Xamarin https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B836
- Cross-Platform at Microsoft: Xamarin, Cordova, Unity and C++ Panel - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/T614
- Universal App Model Overview: What’s New in the UWP App Model - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B809
- Bringing Desktop Apps to the UWP Using Desktop App Converter - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P504
- Project Centennial: Bringing Existing Desktop Applications to the Universal Windows Platform - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B829
- Bring a Web App to Windows in Under 5 Minutes with Windows App Studio - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P417
- Linux Command Line on Windows - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/C906
- What’s New for Tiles and Toast Notifications - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B803
- App Extensibility: Build an Ecosystem of Apps - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B808
- Universal Windows Application Lifecycle: From Activation and Suspension to Background Execution,… - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B817
- Windows Store: Publishing Apps and Games to Desktop, Mobile, and Xbox - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B839
- Monetize Your App Using Windows Store Monetization Platform - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P501
- Enterprise Apps and the Windows Store for Business - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B851
- What’s New in Visual Studio for Universal Windows App Development - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/B879
- Windows 10 Identity Overview - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/P494