Thanks everyone for the great blog and email comments on how we should deal with T-SQL casing conventions.
There was a lot of interesting feedback on casing conventions for T-SQL. In summary, the main feedback was
- Default capitalization should follow the documentation
- Capitalization has value for all the non-Visual Studio tools people use
- Intellisense should automatically capitalize according to user preferences
- Intellisense and color-coding should work for T-SQL embedded in, say, Visual Basic source code
- Many are moving to a .Net code style of naming but other conventions are in common use.
If you are interested in the operational side of database development MSDN has a great series of talks by Kimberly Tripp at http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/msdnsqlserver2005.mspx.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.