Every now and then, I take a break from federated infrastructure to post something that is likely only relevant to me.  I recently purchased a new sound card (Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Audio) for a machine that is still running Windows XP.  I allowed the hardware wizard to recognize the device and pull the drivers from the CD that came with the card.  Some way into the installation, I blue-screened.  From that point forward, I could not keep the system up, so I rebooted to safe mode, pull the driver, rebooted normally, canceled the wizard installation and ran the direct install off the CD.

After that, everything worked fine, save one little issue.  At every logon, I received two errors.  The first error was:
RUNDll32.exe Entry point not found

Error loading P17RunE.dll
The specified procedure could not be found.

I also got an immediate notification from Creative that my drivers required an update.  I allowed the update, but found it interesting that the background screen indicated it was a Vista driver update.  Unfortunately, it couldn’t be canceled.  Upon finishing, I received no errors, no BSODs, but couldn’t get past the DLL errors.  I tried re-installing the msvcrt.dll from the original media, no changes.  It wasn’t until I came across some discussions on the Creative forums that I got my solution.

To rid these annoying errors, and allegedly resolve the problem, I needed to remove all references in the RUN key (regedit) to P17RunE.dll.  I haven’t had the time or desire to research it, but I suspect that P17RunE.dll has some specific calls in Vista that don’t exist in XP, hence the exception being thrown.  Removing the registry keys has proven stable.

Hat tip to jimholly who deserves the credit.

1. Jon Ives says:

This is exactly what happened to me! Same card, update, everything. Have you gone ahead and done the regedit? Did it work, and actually stop the DLL errors? Not really sure I trust myself to execute the regedit on my new computer.

Anthonw says: Take a few chances in life; it’s just a computer.  If you need courage, I suggest you look up the Run Key and do a little research.  Once you understand what the purpose of the Run key is, you’ll have a lot more comfort in following these actions.  Of course, the best way to resolve this issue is for Creative to fix their drivers, but backwards support for XP is not likely a priority for anyone right now, with Vista being out almost a year now.

2. Dale Beckett says:

I have the same problem but relating to Google Earth: googlearth.exe – Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link libraly msvcrt.dll.

So it seems Creative is not the only puzzle creator.

3. Mike Burrell says:

Thank you.  I had the same sound card, used Windows update to update the driver, and down I went.  I went into safe mode, disabled the sound card, and then rolled back the driver and re-enabled the sound card.  But I was stuck with the two warning messages.  I followed your advice, did a search in Registry edit, found the P17RunE.dll, deleted it, and tried a reboot.  Worked like a charm.  Good advice.

4. Scotsman says:

Incredible – exact same problem I had, same sound card etc.  Very rare you find the exact problem so quickly, thanks for the help.

5. Meridian says:

Again, same card, same issue – in this case the original Creative drivers were fine, but a Windows update borked everything: BSOD on every boot. After a Safe Mode unsinstall, fresh install, and finally using the Creative update system, got rid of the BSODs that M$ left me, but not the error messages. The reg edit you highlight worked fine. But I notice another key below it, for "P17Helper". Anyone know what happens if you delete that as well? I suspect it’s now safely orphaned, but not needed.

6. gesture says:

Windows XP Error: Setup_wm.exe – Entry Point Not Found!

While trying to install the Windows Media Player 11, I am encountering following error message:

"The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"

Where as I could see that this file had been copied and pased on the Windows Media Player.

One time I could able to run the setup program and it has been installed but I could not able to open it.

When I click to open the program I am having the same error message as mentioned above.

Can anyone help to resolve the issue!