I finally met up with Yuhong in person today. We collaborated through John Grundy years ago, and produced an ASE2001 best paper on "Generation of Distributed System Test-beds from High-level Software Architecture Descriptions".
Half way through our conversation reminiscing the research days, Yuhong said that I was totally not what she had expected, ie. a 'geek from Microsoft'. Yuhong thought it was very encouraging that 'someone like me' works in a technical role in the IT industry.
Since we're in the mood of doing a bit of personal reflection/introspection, I made the following observations about myself:
I am not a geek because:
- I don't write in 1337 as Frank does
- I am not the first to download the latest Vista build as Jeffa
- I don't build my own Bot like Dave
- I do have skirts and dresses in my wardrobe
- I do have a stack of Vogue Living and Marie Claire magazines on my coffee table
But then, I guess I might have a bit of the Geek Factor because:
- I do wear glasses
- I do write JCL, Modula-2, Miranda, CSP, CCS, pi-Calculus
- I can't wait till Kai is old enough to upgrade from Duplo to Mindstorms
- I am married to Patrick who has been programming everyday since the age of 12 but the 5 days of our honeymoon
- my best friend Paul (a games developer) insists that I am "The Queen of Geeks"
- and yes, I do think the new Dr Who is absolutely gorgeous
Anyway, I'm happy being me 🙂