me, my buddy, and my dog tag

(this is a personal, non-work related post)

It was a typical Saturday night. I was out with one of my best friends who I hadn’t met up with in a while. We decided to hit up one of our favorite spots. The place was crowded, the music was ‘hyphy’, and things were looking up.

We moved on out to the patio area of this bar after a little bit. And a few moments later, two absolutely drop-dead gorgeous women, also entered the patio area. Our eyes met, and they walked directly toward us. That almost never happens (it never happens). They come by and hang out right next to us. At this point, my friend and I are pretty dumbfounded.

One of the girls, turns to me, walks directly towards me, and starts up a conversation.

Girl : Hey
Me : What?
Girl : Hello, hows it going?
Me: What? Me?
Girl (starting to get a little flustered) : So, my friend and I have been wondering, whats this thing you’ve got around your neck?
Me: Oh, thats a dog tag. Its nothing really. My friend gave it to me. He bought it from Guess. It was 13.95 before taxes, and about 15.11 all in all. Yeah. It this whole fraternity, camaraderie thing.
Girl : Oh ok…
(awkward 20 second silence)
Girl : Ok then, buh-bye

I did mention they were drop-dead gorgeous right? And amazingly drop-dead gorgeous, at that?

Its been about 16 hours since the incident, and I haven’t been able to shake what happened there. I’m shell shocked. My friend stopped short of kicking me in the genitals (he later claimed that he didn’t kick me in the genitals because he felt it wouldn’t really hurt me). He also made a very intersting observation in that, it was VERY unlikely that the girls didn’t know, that what I had around my neck was a dog tag. Or that it cost money.

I met some other friends of mine who were at the place as well, and we’ve been collectively thinking of all the bazillion things I could’ve said that would’ve made the conversation worthwhile :

Girl : So, my friend and I have been wondering, whats this thing you’re wearing around your neck?
Me : Its a chic magnet.

or

Me : I got it from a buddy who’s in the army, after him and I single handedly fought 63 rebels, and eventually took back control of the oil field.

or

Me : If you look real close, its got your name written on it.

or

Me : I got it from some friends at the SFFD, for saving a child from a burning building.

or

Me : I’ve sprayed my cologne on it, you should smell it.

or

Me : I found it when I was hiking through the rugged jungle area in the amazon.

or

Me : If you look at it closely, you’ll see a reflection of your beautiful self.

or

Me : This thing saved my life – I got shot at, and the dog tag stopped the bullet from piercing through in to my body.

So, I feel like a dumb ass. All my friends have been consoling me about the situation. I’m getting a lot of “you’ll meet them again”, “there’s always next time”, and, “next time bring your brain with you”. But its not condescending enough. I deserve to be punished.

So, please, take some time, and tell me how big a dumb-ass that you know I am. Please.

Me thanks you…

Currently playing in my head : “Boom shack-a-lak”, Apache Indian, soundtrack of the movie “Dumb and Dumber”

“Ai”

1. not_those_drop_dead_gorgeous_chics(green envy) says:

This works:

Me : I’ve sprayed my cologne on it, you should smell it.

2. Soms says:

Indian girls?

3. periferral says:

What are you doing with a dog tag arnd you neck!

Down boy.

4. Vinay says:

thats a funny post – a post conversation reflection.

Reminded me of a conversation many years ago in school, when a girl asked me where I got a bag I had and I replied ‘a shop’ 😐

Like yours, it was a fairly short conversation as well!

5. aniyer says:

not_those_drop_dead_gorgeous_chics(green envy),

Hello missy… I should’ve guessed that that would’ve been your response 😉

Ta,

Ai

6. aniyer says:

Soms,

Yep… Girls, nevertheless, you know… 😉

Ai

7. aniyer says:

Vinay,

> Reminded me of a conversation many years ago

> in school, when a girl asked me where I got

> a bag I had and I replied ‘a shop’ 😐

I think I was that girl (or atleast who you thought was a girl)… And I seemed to like your answer. I think bought that very backpack the next day.

Ai

8. aniyer says:

periferral (anna),

> What are you doing with a dog tag arnd you

> neck!

Ummm, if you followed the post you’d realized that it attracts women?

Ai

9. not_those_drop_dead_gorgeous_chics(green envy) says:

Does the dog tag interfere the frequency of the cell phone in your pocket? If so, please take it off!! The magnetic field is playing the trick~~

U know I would pick that line out of all. :) That is if I was approaching.

10. aK says:

AI,

You’re lucky I didn’t swing by San Franny last weekend as I would have definitely kicked you in the nuts and then some more.

BTW, what was your mate doing? He should have realised that you were sinking and saved the conversation.

aK

11. Jeff Atwood says:

LOL, nicely played! 😛

12. Girl: So, my friend and I have been wondering, whats this thing you’ve got around your neck?

Me: I dunno, but do you know why bears don’t eat clowns? ….. Because they taste funny.

That works every time… some times, ok not really, but it gets a laugh every now and then.

13. aniyer says:

aK,

> You’re lucky I didn’t swing by San Franny

> last weekend

Stop call it "San Franny"!!

> BTW, what was your mate doing?

He was trying to sneak away to go and talk to the other girl. The whole episode ended in about 20 seconds. I don’t blame him. I’m taking the dive for this one.

Ai

14. aniyer says:

Hello green_envy,

Its a chic magnet, not so much a real magnet. Atleast I hope not 😐

Ai

15. aniyer says:

Jeff,

> LOL, nicely played! 😛

Thanks man… You’re the first one to have positively acknowledged the incident.

And thanks for not calling me a dumbass (being sarcastic). When someone asks you to call someone a dumbass, you just do it, you know…

Ai

16. aniyer says:

Caleb,

> Me: I dunno, but do you know why bears don’t

> eat clowns? ….. Because they taste funny.

> That works every time… some times, ok not

> really, but it gets a laugh every now and

> then.

Hmmm… interesting. I’m not sure thats the first that’ll come to mind, but I’ll try to remember that.

You are single, right? Yeah, ok, don’t answer that… 😉

Ai

17. My best friend got married in Dubai last week. And to think I was actually in two minds about going to

18. I found this to be tremendously funny, maybe because I know, deep down, that I probably would have said

19. (this is a personal, non-work related post) It was a typical Saturday night. I was out with one of my best friends who I hadn’t met up with in a while. We decided to hit up one of our favorite spots. The place was crowded, the music was ‘ hyphy ’, an