So, at first, I really thought BlogHer was just a big party for all the women bloggers out there who want to connect and have fun. And in a sense it is. There’s nothing wrong with that, as a matter of fact, it’s about freaking time! But they also have some kick ass sessions on work-life balance, effective blogging, some excellent networking opportunities (and not the kind that make you feel slimy afterwards), and yes, some great parties. And you get swag. LOTS and lots of swag. And GOOD swag too. Here, my BlogHer 2011 roommate and friend Jen Hajer talks about what she got last year, it’s ASTONISHING: http://www.themarthaproject.com/2010/08/10/caution-blogher-swag-ahead/. Anyway, I’ve been so busy with everything else going on with work this year that until now I haven’t sat down to really look through the session list and pick what I want to attend. I’ll try not to rant too much about the fact that they only have apps for the iPhone and Android for perusing the sessions and planning your trip ::grumbles:: Anyway, I need to have that info somewhere handy, so I figured I’d blog about it. Then I have an easy reference, and might give some other folks some ideas about sessions THEY might want to attend. So, here we go:
Basic BlogHer session schedule: http://www.blogher.com/node/305898/schedule?from=subnav and a VERY detailed and complete conference schedule: http://www.blogher.com/files/BH11_PreConGuide.pdf
Day –1 – Wednesday August 4th
- Jen and Angela descend upon San Diego
- Dinner with the mysterious @BlogDangerously, creator of #WineParty
Day 0 – Thursday August 4th
- Sleep in, eat donuts
- Jen and Angela take on San Diego! Still not sure what we’re doing yet but it will involve trolleys, ice cream and shopping.
- 6pm – BlogHer Exposition Center
Day 1 – Friday August 5th
- 10:30am - Change the World | Cyberbullying Isn't Just for Teens: What to Do if You're the Victim of Trolls, Haters... and Worse Dealing with trolls, and BOY do I get them as a Microsoft rep in the very “religious” world of technology
- 1:15pm Success on Our Own Terms: A Discussion with Huffington Post Women <—I am most looking forward to this one!!
- 2:30pm - Leticia Barr: Everything You Wanted to Know About Social Media Platforms But Were Afraid to Ask (Facebook, Flickr, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, StumbleUpon, Instagram, and Skype.)
- 2:45pm - Minding Your Own Business | Peer Networking: Working Together to Help All Boats Rise
- 4:00pm – Sweets by the Bay party
- 7:00pm – Babeland Sex Toy Mixer – what? It’s not that kind of party!
- 8:00pm - 10:00pm OFFICIAL BLOGHER PARTY: Listen to Your Mother/Letter to Your Mother Open Mic Salon Details
- 8:00pm The People's Party
- 9:00pm - 1:00am OFFICIAL BLOGHER PARTY: Sparklecorn Details
Day 2 – Saturday August 6th
- 10:45am - Change Yourself | 'Til Blog Do Us Part? or…
- 10:45am - The Path to Healthy Financial Balance, brought to you by Chase Blueprint
- 11:45am – Lowe’s Smackdown. I have no clue what to expect but if Jen is wielding power tools it’s going to ROCK.
- 1:30pm - Unplug, Unfriend, Unfollow, Unwind: Is That Sacrilege? or…
- 1:30pm - Modern Marthas: Women Who Blog Hearth and Home and the Stereotypes They Smash
- 3:00pm - Owning Your Beauty: If We Change the Conversation, Can We Change the Culture?: http://www.blogher.com/breakout-session-three-1 or…
- 3:00pm - How Do You Sustain an Online Community and Keep Your Own Sanity?
- 5:00pm – SwagBucks party
- 7:00pm – Kick Off Your Heels party
- 7:30pm – Wonderlandia party
- 8:00pm - PR Couture party
- 8:00pm - 10:30pm - OFFICIAL BLOGHER PARTY: Social Fiesta
- 9:00pm - 11:00pm OFFICIAL BLOGHER PARTY: Aiming Low
- 10:00pm - 1:00am OFFICIAL BLOGHER PARTY: CheeseburgHer
At first I was a little daunted by it. ANOTHER conference, more schmoozing, more networking, blah, blah, blah. I seriously got really burned out on conferences this year because they were all so work focused that I couldn’t just relax and enjoy it. I admit, I’ll get a LOT of work-relevant education and networking done, I just won’t have to work hard at it. And now that I am more mentally prepared, and more educated on it, I can’t wait! So if you’re going to BlogHer good luck finding me. For once being a reasonably cute tech-savvy chic with bright red-hair is NOT a novelty at a conference I am attending
~ Angela Dugan a.k.a OakParkGirl