Finding Your Own IP Address On Windows Phone Mango

For reasons never adequately explained there is still no API to obtain the IP address of the phone from a WP app. However if you want the IP address on the local wifi network, help is at hand, via this sample code. The way this works is that the phone does a multicast of its own invention, then listens for its own reply. When it arrives the IP address of the sender can be determined, and its yourself! If the phone is not connected to a wifi network then the callback will be passed a null instead of an IPAddress. Please note this requires an OS build of 7704 or later (emulator or phone) as earlier builds are deeply unreliable for multicast.

[Updated on 8/24 to include the actual C# code and also improved how MulticastMessage was calculated so it isnt likely to clash with another phone doing the same thing at the same time]

using System;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;

namespace FindMyIP
    public class MyIPAddress
        Action<IPAddress> FoundCallback;
        UdpAnySourceMulticastClient MulticastSocket;
        const int PortNumber = 50000;       // pick a number, any number
        string MulticastMessage = "FIND-MY-IP-PLEASE" + new Random().Next().ToString();

public void Find(Action<IPAddress> callback)
            FoundCallback = callback;

MulticastSocket = new UdpAnySourceMulticastClient(IPAddress.Parse("239.255.255.250"), PortNumber);
            MulticastSocket.BeginJoinGroup((result) =>
                try
                    MulticastSocket.EndJoinGroup(result);
                    GroupJoined(result);
                catch (Exception ex)
                    Debug.WriteLine("EndjoinGroup exception {0}", ex.Message);
                    // This can happen eg when wifi is off
                    FoundCallback(null);
            },
                null);

void callback_send(IAsyncResult result)

byte[] MulticastData;
        bool keepsearching;

void GroupJoined(IAsyncResult result)
            MulticastData = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(MulticastMessage);
            keepsearching = true;
            MulticastSocket.BeginSendToGroup(MulticastData, 0, MulticastData.Length, callback_send, null);

while (keepsearching)
                try
                    byte[] buffer = new byte[MulticastData.Length];
                    MulticastSocket.BeginReceiveFromGroup(buffer, 0, buffer.Length, DoneReceiveFromGroup, buffer);
                catch (Exception ex)
                    Debug.WriteLine("Stopped Group read due to " + ex.Message);
                    keepsearching = false;

void DoneReceiveFromGroup(IAsyncResult result)
            IPEndPoint where;
            int responselength = MulticastSocket.EndReceiveFromGroup(result, out where);
            byte[] buffer = result.AsyncState as byte[];
            if (responselength == MulticastData.Length && buffer.SequenceEqual(MulticastData))
                Debug.WriteLine("FOUND myself at " + where.Address.ToString());
                keepsearching = false;
                FoundCallback(where.Address);
}

Here is a sample button handler to put in a trivial Silverlight test app:

private void button1_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
            MyIPAddress finder = new MyIPAddress();
            finder.Find((address) =>
                Dispatcher.BeginInvoke(() =>
                        button1.Content = address == null ? "Unknown" : address.ToString();
                    });
            });

1. Tom says:

Hey Andy,

Been researching for a way to find the IP, thanks for the post.  I'll definitely try this out!

2. Tom says:

Hey Andy,

Just wondering in the callback_send, should there be an EndSendToGroup added to close it off?

3. Andy-Pennell says:

Hmm, interesting point Tom, you are probably right about EndSendToGroup although not sure of the side-effects of not doing that. I also realized that the string I send on the multicast should probably have the phone's unique ID in it, so that if two phones on the same network do this they wont find the other by mistake.

4. Tom says:

Hey Andy,

Tried it out at home and it works great.  Thanks for your post again.

5. DongHyuck Kim says:

Thanks a lot. great job..

I wanted Tip

6. Hi.

It's works with 3G network?

7. Andy-Pennell says:

ValeraV: no, as the second sentence says: "on the local wifi network"

8. andrew_MA,USA says:

Thank you! Works great. Any way to edit some of this to get the external IP?

9. Andy-Pennell says:

andrew_MA: This method stands no chance on an external network as multicast wont work there: instead just hit a web service that returns the IP eg http://whatismyipaddress.com/ (or write your own)

10. Hey Andy, I tried it on emulator and it is giving me 127.0.0.1 (loop-back IP) is it coz i am using emulator and will work on device?

11. Soonts says:

Doesn't work. Timeout + application exception is thrown from deep inside. (trying to use from the background process).

12. Andy-Pennell says:

I am not surprised this wont work in a background process

13. Elchin says:

Hei.May name is Elchin.I buy nokia lumia 920.I want do my ip adress own.I cant do it.Can you help me.my tel^s ip 192.168.2.1.i want my ip adress in wife will be 192.168.1.1.What shall i do?may mail  pashayev_elchin@mail.ru.IN AZERBAIJAN nobody says about this ip.

14. Giacomo P. says:

Hello Andy.

I'm using your snippet on an application and it just works fine. But when the app is set on background (FAS) or you programmatically call the FindMyIp class, it starts throwing a lot of WebSocket exception (something like 2000 errors in the debugger). I think the cause is that the MulticastSocket is still running in background, but I can't find how to stop it.. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

If you want to mail me, use panattan@gmail.com

Giacomo

15. Jack says:

Hello, I wrote a comment last week, but it hasn't been published. So the problem is: app throws a lot of "WebSocket" exceptions (something like 2000 catches) when you try to programmatically call this class, or for example, when you put your app in FAS or Tombstoning mode.

Any suggestions? Please, I REALLY need your help!

Thanks in advice!

16. Francis says:

@Giacomo @Jack:

I quick solved it try catching the DoneReceiveFromGroup and executing the Find (without callback)  in a BackgroundWorker, runAsync executed on "onNavigatedTo" callback of the page, and turned MyIPAddress to MyIPAddress : IDisposable… when you find the ip you call this.Dispose() where it's calling the implemented method Dispose containing if(MulticastSocket != null ) MulticastSocket.Dispose()  so you'r releasing the resources used by the UdpSocketMulticast…

Hope this helps

Cheers

17. Simon says:

@Francis:

Do you have an example of your amended code as I have followed what you have said in your post but the websocket exceptions still occur

Thanks

18. Antoine Cœur says:

Is it also possible to get the Phone Name this way?

19. Andy-Pennell says:

Antoine: to get the phone name, see my other blog post blogs.msdn.com/…/10465455.aspx

Skip to main content