Letter to DirecTV: You have a month to show the new TiVo or I’m going to Fios TV

As a happy TiVo customer since 1999 I and a reasonably happy DirecTV customer since 2000 I've been anxiously awaiting the new DirecTV TiVo. However its been a while since I've heard anything about it, and now I'm pissed. My existing DirecTV HD TiVo can't do MPEG4, which wouldn't be so bad except DTV keep moving HD channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4. The final straw was Showtime HD, which used to be on Channel 71. When my always-reliable TiVo missed the season openers of Dexter and Californication I went to see why and discovered that 71 is something else entirely now, and Showtime HD is now MPEG4. Only.

Literally every week Verizon send me a begging letter to get Fios TV (I've had Fios internet for several years). In a months time I am going to take them up on whatever offer they have unless I see some sign of a new TiVo for DirecTV by then. Going to Fios means I can get a cablecard Tivo HD and I can get all the channels I want in HD. (Well almost: BBC America isn't in HD anywhere except New York apparently). Obviously I won't be getting a Fios-DVR, for the same reason I returned the DirecTV-DVR I briefly had, as I want a real TiVo, not a poor imitation.

I have a bad history and an irrational feeling towards cable companies (Comcast in my case) so they are not an option, though of course I can use the same TiVo as with Fios if I did ever go to the Dark Side.

So DTV: get it together and ship something very soon, or else.

1. Andy-Pennell says:

I just noticed the TiVo site says "in 2010" now. That sounds too late for me. http://www.tivo.com/dvr-products/tivo-partners/tivo-directv/index.html

2. Peter says:

Just go to FiOS.  I’ve had FiOS TV for about a year now and it’s fabulous.  I used to have Comcast and the quality improvement is amazing.  No artifacting at all.  Even the standard def material is noticeably better.

And the overall pricing is much better than cable too.

3. For what its worth, a couple of years ago I moved into an area where the cable company did not support HD or CableCards, rendering my TiVo HD useless. I held out for six month and then broke down and got DirecTV with their HD DVR. To my surprise, the transition was fairly painless and the WAF is high. If I was offered TiVo again and it cost more than the DirecTV DVR, I would not switch. I had several TiVo’s over the course of seven or so years, series 1, 2, and 3 (HD), so I am well familiar with what it has to offer.

4. Marc says:

I loved my DirecTV TiVos but when I made the jump to HD I had no other option but to go to Comcast. I miss DirecTV but I still have Tivo. Forget waiting, DirecTV didn’t even have a clue when real Tivo HD was coming.

5. Alun Jones says:

I’d also like to see DirecTV release a solution for Media Center.

6. Andy-Pennell says:

I’ve done it, Fios TV installation tomorrow and two TiVos on order. More news as we have it.

7. Adam Krantz says:

I have the DirecTV HD DVR and I think it works pretty well. I know how you feel about cable companies. I reluctantly got a Comcast cable modem, and their customer support sucks. I switched from renting the cable modem to one that I bought, but they are still charging the rental fee, even after I called them. FiOS isn’t an option for me, but it sounds like the way to go for you.

8. I hope this is the right blog – How do I turn my mountain of cassettes into MP3s?   Anybody? I have the misfortune of having windows 7, but I don’t know if I could do it with a good OS.

thanks      Warren

9. Andy-Pennell says:

Warren: Win7 is a fantastic OS! Connect your tape player to Line-In, fire up Sound Recorder, hit Play on the player and Record on the program. Job done. You can find other programs to split up the tracks, get the metadata etc too I am sure.

10. Tara Snow says:

I love DirecTV, but I keep coming across stories of people who have had really bad experiences with them, there are some really funny vents about them <a href=ventme.com/…/a>.

Skip to main content