More HD DVD players than Blu-ray players in America. Still. In 2009.

In frankly amazing news even to me, a new Harris Poll shows that over a year and a half since the format war ended there are more Americans with HD DVD players than with Blu-ray players, and in fact 2009 was a pretty good year for HD DVD players, in 2008 6% of Americans had an HD DVD player and now 11% do! As the article says, "Interest in Blu-ray remains lukewarm" which put a big grin on my face.

It can't just be ticked-off HD DVD users (like me and most of my friends & ex-workmates) that are resisting the lure of BD. I'm sure the high prices of the media and the still-confused BD Profile story are having more effect, and the recession can't be helping either. With Managed Copy finally getting nearer reality that's another reason to put off buying a player now and instead wait until managed-copy-capable hardware comes out next year.

Just in case there is any confusion after my April Fool post, this is all real: hit the links to see the data, the actual numbers are in the PDF.

1. Jeremy says:

1st!

Crazy, it’s all a messed up game. I’d rather have ondemand if it works.

2. Krenn says:

One thing to note – it looks like the poll didn’t combine PS3 and stand-alone Blu-ray, nor the 360 HD-DVD drive and the stand-alone.

That makes the total 14% HD-DVD; 16% Blu-Ray. Sorry…

3. Andy-Pennell says:

Krenn: I realize that, but only 2% difference is still amazing. Plus the data is clear that people can answer with more than one option, so simply adding PS3/Xbox percentages together isn’t necessarily going to be accurate anyway.

4. Deniz says:

It actually makes me angry to hear this.  HD-DVD is still a superior product where Blu-ray is currently flaunting features that HD-DVD had from the start.  I have BR now but am STILL buying HD-DVD’s from my local stores for $5cdn a piece!

5. Peter says:

You can resist BD all you want on principle, but you’re only denying youself.  I have a Samsung BD player that also does Netflix and Pandora streaming, so it is a very useful device.  Blu-Ray Discs on my 46" LCD and absoultely beautiful.  Upconverted DVDs look great too.

6. Andy-Pennell says:

Peter: I find it ironic that the BD standard, in 2009, still doesn’t mandate an internet connection and yet the only interesting current BD players are those with Netflix capability which of course requires such a thing.

I have Netflix on my Xbox already thanks and Pandora on my Sonos: I don’t want to have to turn on my TV to listen to music.

7. Peter says:

Andy, I understand you had a lot personally invested in seeing HD-DVD accepted.  But the reality is BD "won" the war and if you want new HD content it’s going to be on BD. Someday we’ll get HD content delivered on demand and that will be awesome, but until then it’s going to come on a physical disc and that disc is BD.

I don’t have an Xbox or PS3, so I find my BD player very useful.  I can play BD, DVD, CDs, use the Netflix and Pandora streaming all in one device.  I’m sure HD-DVD players could have done all the same things, but that’s kind of a moot point now.

8. Tone says:

It’s crazy to me that the biggest reason that Blu-Ray had a luke warm reception in the first place, was down to the fact that Sony kept bringing out new profiles, and each time it was more than likely that your very expensive Blu-Ray player would need to be replaced with another player.

It’s nice to see that Sony has given us a couple of years to invest in new profile 2 hardware, just for them to bring out a need to buy a new player all over again!!!

This is at the heart of what is spoilling Ble-Ray’s adoption in to the market, with high prices being the second reason.

On the other hand, if Microsoft release a new Xbox, it would be stupid to not move to a Blu-Ray based storage system – lets face it, DVD is out of steam already, and not all the world has ultra fast broadband connections, and not to mention the fact that MS’s movies are not available in many countries.

9. Adam Krantz says:

Once I finally got a nice big plasma HDTV last December, I bought a Sony Blu-ray player to use with Blu-ray discs from Netflix. It was only $180. However, I refuse to buy ANY Blu-ray discs. The reality is now I probably watch more stuff streamed to the Roku player now.

10. Andy-Pennell says:

Hi Adam! Yeah, I don’t even get to use my 100" screen any more, else I know would miss watching stuff in HD. On my little-ole-32" streaming is good enough. I did recently pick up the last ever HD DVD (Death Proof) just for old times sake.

11. Joseph says:

Am sad HD-DVD lost, to be honest i think the studios should have kept producing on both formats and phased out standard dvd if they wanted hi def to take off, suprised to hear that it is still going strong after the plug was pulled but i would pressume that is down to the big price cuts for the hardware, I have the hd-dvd add on for the xbox360 and am quite happy with the 100+ movies i have on hd and it also upscales very well. Wont be going to blu ray as am getting sick of chasing technology and upgrading. When friends ask about buying hidef movies i just tell them to read the reviews first as some older movies on hidef don’t look any better than standard cause the studios havn’t done any remedial work on them, and have just stuck it on the hidef format to get it on it.

Comments are closed.