Xbox 360 HD DVD Version List

Here I will try and document the various releases of the Xbox 360 HD DVD player, in reverse chronological order. Major releases are in bold (a major release either has new features or has a boat-load of changes, minor releases are pure bug fixes). To see which version you have, while playing a disc press Display then select the ? icon. Note that Dashboard releases are separate from the HD DVD player, and done by the Xbox team not the HD DVD team.

2.0.5127 (Apr 08)

• New Feature: audio/video streaming. EVO files can be read from http(s) addresses
  • Fixed issue with several HDNet titles hanging
  • Fixes for DTS sub-audio
  • Fixed issues in titles Lee Ritenour: Overtime, Les Bronzes, The Break Up and All the Goals

2.0.4645 (Dec 07)

• Network download performance got a substantial improvement
  • Fixes hang when saving bookmarks on a few network titles when connected to the network (e.g. Transformers, Evan Almighty, Heroes)
  • Fixes Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix problems playing with the IME enabled
  • Fixes spurious "There was a problem with licensing for this content" error on a few titles (the issue had nothing to do with licensing FYI)

2.0.4641 (Nov 07)

• Networking fixes
  • Improved title compatibility (e.g. Hot Fuzz C667000A error).

2.0.4636 (July 07)

• Networking fixes only

2.0.4634 (June 07)

• Networking fixes only

2.0.4629 (May 07)

2.0.4248 (Nov 06)

• First update.

2.0.4113

• Original release.

In addition all versions usually contain fixes for yet-to-be-released titles. For general troubleshooting with the drive, as well as how to update your player version, go here.

1. Ray says:

IS there a fix for Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix being unplayable? My drive won’t even load it.

2. Andy-Pennell says:

Ray: please be more specific as to your problem. Sounds like the disc is defective, but its hard to be sure without the actual error message.

3. Ray says:

When i try loading OOTP it just says unreadable disc. Ive taken it back to best buy once already and the 2nd copy is doing the exact same thing. I really don’t know what else to try.

4. Andy Sexton says:

Is there a chance that your team will add slow motion and frame by frame to this?  It’s a tad annoying when I want to see a specific point of a movie, pause it, and the have to rewind with 2x speed.  It’d be great if you could pause and rewind frame by frame.  Our A2 can do this, as can the PS3 Blu-ray player.

Any chance on this?

5. Andy-Pennell says:

Ray: Is the dashboard saying "unreadable disc"? I see no such message in the HD DVD player code itself. Try your drive on someone elses Xbox, and try different usb cable/port.

6. Tone says:

Yeah, it would be great to have more trick-play funtcions in the player, and maybe a way to view technical info, like real-time bitrate for video and audio.  Also the performance of HD-DVD menu animations could do with improving.

And what about the ability to take snapshots of HD-DVDs and use them as Dashboard backgrounds…  That would be cool, and a smack towards PS3 owners!

I would also love to see the frame-rate bug fixed as well.

7. Ray says:

Ok ill try those things and see if they work. And yes the error was coming from the dash.

8. Ray says:

So i tried the HD DVD player on my xbox and my cousin’s xbox and still no dice. It played some non combos but combos were a no go. I kept getting the unreadable disc msg in the dash. I guess back to MS it goes.

9. Conrad says:

I have downloaded the new update and I still cannot get HP OoTP to play in HD. I am on my 3rd DVD from Bestbuy. It wont even load, a popup screen come up on the dashboard and says Disk Unplayable.  There are no numeric codes with this screen. My other HD DVD’s are playing fine

10. Andy-Pennell says:

Conrad & Ray: looks like your drives are defective to me. If the dash can’t even read them, that’s not a good sign. Do check the cable though, and another usb port. Also try the drive on another Xbox and the discs on another drive to complete the test matrix.

11. Nys04 says:

When I purchased the Transformers HD-DVD, it played fine and beautifully on my Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on drive. I haev watched it for almost four to five times already.

Yesterday when I had some friends over, I wanted to show them Transformers. When I inserted the disc, it prompted me for an update. I agreed to the update as per normal. The update took only a few seconds.

Now two problems appeared:

1. They now announce to me that web-contents cannot work and to play without web content. Thats fine by me.

2. Now the movie freezes mid-way through the movie and refuses to continue playing.

Anyone have any ideas what the heck the update was all about and how to solve the problem? Yesterday was 19 Dec 2007.

12. Andy Sexton says:

andypennell:

Is there any chance on the slow motion?  I just want to get your thoughts on it?  It’s great that you are here talking to consumers, and I’d really love to get an answer to this nagging question.

13. Andy-Pennell says:

Andy: Slow forward motion is a possibility for the next major release, as is frame forward. However either mode backwards is a substantial engineering effort and therefore much less likely.

14. Yumbo says:

Didn’t fix Relentless Enemies.

15. Brian says:

The other night I was watching a regular DVD via the HD-DVD drive (for convenience) and all was well until the video froze up during a feature. Didn’t think much of it.

Now, nothing will read. I put in a disc, and it says "Reading" for a moment, then switches to "Open HD-DVD Tray". It’s as though the HD drive isn’t seeing the disc in there.

I’ve tried multiple discs, both HD and normal, including both regular and HD-DVDs that have functioned fine in the past. I’ve tried reboots of the Xbox 360. I’ve tried resetting the power. I’ve tried different USB ports and different USB cables.

All of them exhibit the same signs.

Am I totally hosed?

BTW, I should note that I *just* went out of 90-day warranty a few days ago, which is just horrible timing. 🙁

16. Jack says:

The web content does not work on Bourne Ultimatum (Nordic version).

The player just hangs when loading.

Tested on the December 07 update.

BTW, it must suck to only have 90 days warranty in the US. In my country we have 1 or sometimes 2 years warranty.

One of the very few advantages over here when it comes to Xbox 360…

17. Andy-Pennell says:

Brian: try your add-on on someone else’s Xbox, to confirm its a drive hardware problem.

18. Dan says:

I too am having troubles with the Disc Unreadable error.  I bought two movies, Borne Ultimatum and Bean’s Holiday.  Both combo, both Universal Studios.  Both refuses to play 90% of the time.

Best Buy has replaced both discs with no success.

I got Bean’s Holiday to play twice, but both times it locked up on the exact same frame half way thru the video.

I am extrmely upset about this, it appears from a google search plenty of others are having identical problems, and this is unacceptable.

19. Sean says:

Has anyone been able to watch the Sopranos Season 6 part II HD-DVD discs?

I’ve tried multiple copies of discs 1, 2, and 3 of the package (returned several, and tried new ones) and they hang right after the FBI warning.  They never load into the dvd menu- the screen just stays black and nothing happens.

20. Andy-Pennell says:

Sean: Its quiet in the office today so I just tried all 3 discs on my retail Xbox, no issues. You have the latest player software I assume?

21. Chris says:

Is any one having trouble with Tokyo Drift I cannot get it to play.  It gives me a cannot read disc error.  I have two other comb disc and they work fine.  I have tried the add-on a different xbox and the movie on an hd-a3.  When I play the movie on the hd-a3 it sounds like it is having trouble reading it but it ends up starting just fine.  I have not watched it through yet. I have exchanged once and still doesnt play.  It could be the whole lot of movies that BestBuy got were bad, I may try to exchange at a different BestBuy.  I did get the movie to start once or twice but then was prompted for the update, did the update and now it wont play.  All my other 12 movies work fine.

22. Thomas says:

Any idea when the Official website will be updated with a newer version than May’s release for download?

23. charlie says:

Is it me or did the 360 orginally have the ability to eject the HD drive from a blade, i’ve seen note of it elsewhere too, my HD DVD’s eject has never worked and i swear i could eject it from the dashboard.

Either that or i’ve always been using a pointy stick to eject it ( which i just did for the first hd dvd i bought, bladerunner) maybe i just never removed king kong, although i know my eject button has never worked.

If it did, can it come back, if it didn’t can we have it ? be nice if the remote sensed thej dvd mode and that eject worked instead, i’m sure one day using one of my airbrush needles to pop out the drive is going to backfire.

but man the first 30 seconds i’ve seen of this new bladerunner cut is awesome.

24. Ray says:

Question, I was trying to play a dvd that I have on dvd-r in the HD player and it won’t upconvert it over component. Theres no copy protection on the disc and yet no upconvert, anyway to fix this?

25. Andy-Pennell says:

Ray: I know nothing about the DVD player, but I’m guessing the "no upconvert" feature is regardless of whether CSS is present or not.

26. yohann says:

Hello,

is there a downloadable version of latest player (2.0.4645) (my xbox is not connected to internet, so no live update available)  ?

I bought blade runner and shrek3 for christmas and both do not want to start without an update…

27. Guillaume says:

This is annoying. I got a HD-DVD add-on for Christmas and I got an "Unreadable Disc" error for 3 movies already, which are the new Harry Potter and 300, both rented and both are HD-DVD/DVD combo and I also got the error when first trying to watch Blade Runner, which is HD-DVD only and which I bought on top of it. I was able to "fix" it by deleting the "Unknow" files in the reader memory, but still, it would be nice not to have to do it everytime I want to watch a movie. Also I was dissapointed to see that the reader can’t do slow-motion and frame by frame. Aside from that, I’m greatly enjoying it, the visual quality is amazing.

28. Andy-Pennell says:

Guillaume: sounds like you have a problem drive, I’d get a replacement if I were you.

29. Andy-Pennell says:

yohann: The page at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/download.htm has just been updated with the 4645 build. Sorry it took so long.

30. Daniel says:

Any chance of 24p support in a future update?  I read a page on xbox.com which seemed to infer the drive supported this, I was sorely dissapointed after buying a new sony TV to find it doesn’t, I really don’t wantto buy a standalone player just because of this.

31. Andy-Pennell says:

24p support is highly unlikely, sorry. Where did you see that claimed on Xbox.com?

32. Daniel says:

Kind of inferred here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/understandinghddvdresolutions.htm

I guess I will have to look for a standalone player, thanks for replying though.

33. Luis says:

I recently just purchased Blade Runner from Best Buy and have had to exchange it 4 times and still no go.  I get the “Unplayable Disc” error.  I have  had this issue before with a few other movies but after exchanging once it was fine.  I made sure that my drive was up-to-date on the firmware as well.  Any ideas?

34. Tone says:

Hello And, I first wanted to say thanks to you, and all the good people that have helped make HD-DVD the format of choice for anyone with a brain, and a fear of buying a Blu-Ray player, only to have it rendered "junk" the next time they update their profile number again.

I want to ask, what work is/has been done on the Xbox360 HD-DVD player software since the December release?  I am still hoping that you would fix the frame judder during chapter changes, and also, when will it be released?

Kind Regards,

Tone

35. Jay says:

Anyone know why im getting an "unplayable disc" message when i try and play my Transformers HD DVD? I still haven’t got the HD DVD player (xbox 360 add-on one) to work since i bought it. That is the only HD DVD i own. Iv tried a regular DVD aswell and that comes up with the same message. anyone got any ideas?? i need help please!

36. Andy-Pennell says:

Jay: if you can’t play DVDs on it either than its a connection issue, or the drive is defective. I assume you have a recent Xbox Dashboard, if not you’ll need to use the CD that came with the drive.

37. cab says:

ive recently bought 300 and american gangster, i wanted to show one of my friend how 300 in hd is way better so i showed him, the next day i wanted to see it again but it said unreadable disc i tried to reboot, change usb, nothing worked. american gangster still works and the dvd side of 300 works too. is there something i can do to make it work again?

38. Andy-Pennell says:

cab: you could try cleaning out pstorage but I don’t recall that ever effecting 300. I assume you have the latest software version?

39. Thomas says:

Hi

Websites yet to be updated with the April release?

40. Andy-Pennell says:

I have asked Xbox for a ETA for the April release to be posted to the web site, no news yet, sorry.

Skip to main content