File and Settings Transfer Wizard: friend or foe?

The “File and Settings Transfer Wizard” is either a life saving piece of software, or a pile of junk. Allow me to explain. My father inherited one of my old machines and needed to get his files & settings from his old XP Home machine to his new-ish XP Pro machine. This seemingly simple process took about six weeks to achieve, and you can read the full, ugly details later. But here are my conclusions:

• The only 100% reliable way to use this tool is via an external hard drive or large USB stick
  • The network option (which should be the simplest and fastest) can crash after taking hours collecting the data, after entering the password
  • If you install HotFix KB896344 then you will be unable to read the data file that the old version created
  • Remote Assistance is a life-saver
  • Sometimes you just can’t beat snail mail to transfer data
  • If you copy the files from their original location, you must put them in the same weirdly-named directory (USMT2.UNC in my case) else you will get a lame-ass error message

The Ugly Details
Dad’s old machine ran XP Home at about 400MHz. His new machine runs XP Pro at 1.5GHz. He lives on the other side of the Atlantic from me, but while he was staying with us in January I went through the steps required and he took notes of what was he had to do when he returned home.

I avoided showing him the Network option because it had crashed for me when I last tried to use it, and because he lacks the plethora of hardware I take for granted (multiple monitors, keyboards etc) that would make using two machines simultaneously easy.

Anyway, he gets home and runs the Wizard on his old machine. It takes many, many hours, but does create the magic file. However he could not write it to his CD-R (which was the plan) so calls me up and I Remote Assistance to his machine. Sure enough the CD-R burn fails because his file is about a gigabyte in size, clearly too large for a CD-R. I download the trial Winzip for him and use that to chop the file into two chunks, but still can’t burn a CD-R: I could not figure out why.

Next I tried to use his network to copy the file from one machine to another: I could not get a file share to work either way, and I still don’t know why. My theory was because XP Home has some crazy network difference to XP Pro (I’ve never used Home and I never want to again). Anyway, I gave up with that.

Next I tried the File Transfer feature of Windows Messenger: that failed immediately, as it always does. I’ve never got that to work on any machine on the planet, and I wasn’t expecting it to work anyway.

Next I used the File Transfer feature of Remote Assistance to copy his file to my machine: this worked, and it took five days to copy that file (yes, five actual days). Then I tried to use the same feature to push this file to his new machine, but this failed in the middle three times: at least each attempt only took a few hours, not days.

As I had a copy of the file on my machine I burned it to a DVD-R and mailed it to my Dad. A week later he got the disc and tried to run the Wizard on his new machine (which sported a DVD drive). It failed with a cryptic error message.
I used Remote Assistance and got the same error. After doinking around with it I discovered the file must be in a directory with the same name as it was created (USMT2.UNC in my case), and when I did that the Wizard could at least find it. However, it complained that “Your migration store was created with a previous version of File and Settings Transfer Wizard” so it couldn’t do anything useful with it. After some heavy web searching, I discovered that I had to uninstall HotFix KB89634 on the new machine: I could find no mention of this error on the Microsoft site and no warning about this file-format-breaking-change in the docs for the HotFix either. Grrrrrrr.

Having removed the hotfix and rebooted, I ran the Wizard and it actually started unpacking things. I disconnected from Dad’s machine and went out: when I came back I had a phone message from him that it worked: it actually frigging worked.

You may wonder why this took six weeks? Apart from the five day file copy, the other reasons were time zones (I could only Remote Assistance to him maybe one morning each weekend for an hour at the most) and the week postal delay. If I could have spent concentrated time on his problem I could have solved it in maybe eight actual days. That is still seven and a half days longer than it should have taken.

Without Remote Assistance I could have done nothing: Dad’s descriptions of the problems and error messages were, well, not very technical, and I would have had even less of a clue than I did by actually seeing them with my own eyes. Weirdly Remote Assistance would not connect to his machines while I was on the phone with my him via Vonage VOIP. We had to hang up or use the land-line to talk while RA was connecting.

So is the File and Settings Transfer Wizard a life saving piece of software, or a pile of junk? Well both. When it actually works it does a great job of copying your stuff to a new machine, but getting it to actually work and decoding its lame error messages make it much, much harder than it should be. Here’s hoping the Vista version is better.

1. Tim says:

It’s a pile of junk.

HTH.

By the way, the file format change/hotfix thing is a classic example of the kind of dumb software design that I hate, and exemplifies the designers/engineers not thinking through the most common usage scenarios.

This is a piece of software that is designed (or apparently not) almost exclusively to transfer data between your old PC and your new PC.  So introducing non-backwards compatible file format changes (let alone in hotfixes) is a mind-numbingly stupid thing to do.  Not documenting it properly is pretty bad, but just doing it in the first place is the real crime.

I never use File/Settings transfer wizard – most of the time I use a new machine as an excuse to clean up my install, so the last thing I want is a boatload of old registry crap copied across, thanks.

I did try it once for my Dad to copy his data and some settings. It was a joke.  Needless to say, it didn’t work, and I had the directory name error problem too.

This is rather reminiscent of the Windows 9X direct connection feature, where MS changed the protocol from Windows 95 to Windows 98 – and didn’t bother to tell anyone, OR even bother to make the Windows 98 version detect a Windows 95 machine at the other end and try to warn you.  After an hour of trying to get it to work, I eventually did some internet searching and found the protocol change documented in some obscure place (it certainly wasn’t on screen).

Again, think about the common usage scenarios for that piece of software…transfer data from a Windows 95 machine to a Windows 98 machine…nobody did that, did they?

(It’s clearly beyond the wit of man to pop up a message box asking "Is the other PC running Windows 95?  Yes/No".)

2. David says:

I ran into this same problem after reinstalling Windows and thought I was screwed.  But I ran across your blog and saints-be-praised, it worked!  Thank you for posting this!

3. Michele says:

Apparently you are a genius, because I have searched the internet and you are the first hit that actually had a work around.  Thank you.

I was hoping you might direct me?… I used FAST on my machine, saved the folder to a different machine, and reformatted my machine.  Now I am trying to use FAST to bring my files back, and I get the error you mentioned above.  I do not have KB89634 listed in my control panel to uninstall.  Is there hope for me?

Thank you.

4. Michele says:

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

I selected "show updates" in my Add and Remove Programs and BOOM!!!  The FAST Wizard actually works.

If I could get my hands on you, I give you a HUGE BEAR HUG!!!

Thanks a lot!!!!

5. Colin says:

This FATW as stated above is actually a problem for most users. It brings all the old registry info also that you do not need.

I personally normally only require my emails and address’ saved. All other data is transfered to another internal or external hard drive. It is a good option to have another hard drive to save ALL of your data anyway, or at the minimum a partitioned single hard drive.

It is easy to save your email address book, but note, you have to ‘selec all’, ie highlight them, then choose File ‘export’ ‘address book’ to a safe location with a name of your choice. This process is required for any sub directories that you have created in your address book.

For the email account settings I take a ‘print screen’ of each page, and manually write the password down as it is hidden by dots.

To save your actual emails there are two options.

1. Use ‘Outlook Express Freebie Backup’ it is freeware. Just us a search engine to find it.

2. Save the actual .dbx files stored in location c:Documents and SettingsyourusernameLocal SettingsApplication DataIdentities{808BC122-34DC-4F2D-BFF2-27FADD7FA22F}MicrosoftOutlook Express

You can do a search of drive ‘c’ of .dbx with option to search hidden files. Select all the above search string location files only as there may be other .dbx files from other applications.

You will see that all of your directories are shown as ‘Inbox.dbx’ etc.

Once highlighted right hand click and save to another external location or to a cd or dvd writer.

To restore copy these .dbx files back to the same location….

3. The favoutites folder can also be manually saved.

Hope that this helps.

6. Ian says:

Never use the FSTW to transfer stuff from a 9x computer to an XP one. This will trash the registry on the XP computer. (And again there is NO warning)

More to the point, don’t use it at all if you have a better choice, and never, ever rely on it as a backup. It seldom works 100% correctly.

7. George Baker says:

You are the only person with a fix for this that I could find on the internet. I was using xp pro 32 bit edition (not 64 bit) and removing the hotfix kb896344 fixed the transfer problem. By the way, your link didn’t work as there was a 4 missing from the end.

Thanks mate, I owe you a BIG one.

8. Sahalu says:

Thanks MAN! You are indeed a life saver. I have been fiddling with a client’s laptop for hours. Beginning to feel like a fake when I couldn’t perform such a simple task I have performed countless times in the past. I really wish Microsoft would fix the problem with a hotfix once and for all.

Thanks friend!

9. andypennell says:

Ian: I have successfully moved 9x settings to XP via FSTW, I did it when I upgraded my Dad’s old machine, so it is a little unfair to claim it "will trash the registry" – "might trash the registry" is probably more accurate. YMMV.

George Baker: what link is wrong? Both links work fine for me.

10. George Baker says:

Sorry andypennell, the link worked fine, just on the main page, the link mentioned kb89634, instead of kb896344. All the same, I’m absolutely stoked my problem is gone.

11. J F Brennan says:

I am trying to transfer data from a five year old Dell Inspiron running Win ME to a new one running XP Home.

The process seems to work except I cannot find the files and settings. All I am getting is Dell popups while all my email files and browsers and word processors have disappeared. Forget about help frpm Dell. Where has my data gone?

12. I saved data using XP’s file and transfer Wizard, and, surprise, the Wizard in Vista is not compatible with the file saved from XP, so I will have to reinstall XP, get my old settings back, save the data with the new "Easy Transfer", and then reinstall Vista again.

13. Wendie Denning says:

I saved data for three different users on the same machine using FAST.  Windows XP Home edition.  I actually went to each desktop and used FAST and saved each file to a different directory on a different computer via our home network, and I used a dummy drive in this same computer I formatted.

I formatted the computer.  When I ran FAST to unpack the files on (my) desktop, it tells me the destination folder holds no data.  I can see it! Right there it is!  It is a huge file.

I have done this many times, and this is the first time I have had trouble.  I do not have the hotfix you mentioned.  I do not have Service Pack 2 installed…it was installed when I ran FAST before formatting.  Could this be the problem?  Thank you in advance. – Wen

14. SteveH says:

Curious about that first post.  While I am happy that you were able to do it, and I feel your frustration and pain, I can’t help but wonder, why didn’t you just have your dad pop the hard drive out of the old machine, throw it onto an external drive enclosure and resetore the FAST image that way?  Would have been faster (you could have had everything done in 1-2 days).  It just seemed like much of the pain you went through was because of the medium you chose to use for storage, rather then the FAST program.

15. Kip says:

I’ve just spent 2 days trying to move my email files and folders to my new laptop.  I tried an outlook express backup software and the file and settings transfer wizard.  Neither worked.  Unfortunately the hotfix issue wasn’t my problem so that didn’t help either.  The FAST wizard kept stopping midway through on the new computer and I kept getting a Windows encountered a problem error with migwiz.exe.

I finally found an easy way to transfer my email messages.

In Outlook Express, go to Tools, Options, Maintenance then click on Store Folder to see where your email messages are stored.

Copy this location, then go to Windows Explorer and paste the location.  This will bring up the folder with all of your email folders.  Do a select all and copy all the folders, then save them to an external hard drive or wherever you want to save them.

Go to Windows Explorer in your new computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View and click the button Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Copy the folders from your external hard drive to the Outlook Express folder on your new computer.  If you aren’t sure where that folder is, open Outlook Express in the new computer and find the Store Folder using the steps mentioned above.

This will copy all your email files and folders over to the new computer and it takes just a few minutes.

It won’t transfer your address book or your account settings.  You will have to transfer those separately but at least this way you will have your messages.

When you’re done, go back to Windows Explorer and unclick the Show Hidden Files and Folders button so it hides them again.

I hope this helps someone else and saves some of the time and pain I went through with this.

16. Jan Garbarek says:

I have used "FAST" as they used to call it, or "FSTW" as it seems to be more recently abbreviated, many many times to move files and user settings from one computer to another.  Most of the time it has worked brilliantly.

I have found that just recently, like within a month or two, it isn’t as good.  Formerly MS Outlook and Office settings would be sent across. No longer. It appears that they, without documentation (nothing on support.microsoft.com) reduced the number of apps/files/settings that are included in the tool – who knows why. What a PITA.

17. Eric D says:

Thank goodness for Google search.  Found this post and you saved my life.  I’ve been working on computers for a while and have not ran into this problem..but then again, I don’t always use the FTSW.  Decided I’d try it and got screwed, so I thought.  SCREW MICROSOFT!!!!  Dumb devs suck.

18. Lisa McCutcheon says:

I am trying to use FAST on a small network…did it twice and all went well.  the third user has the Home or small network option diasabled on the select a transfer method mode yet both old and new are logged onto the lan…Any ideas???

19. Keith O says:

Tried to use the FST Wizard – had a clean CD-RW in the E drive (the DVD/CD Drive) ready to go – but the stupid drop down screen only lets you create a Wizard disk on "Removable Disk" F, G, H or J.  So how the heck am I supposed to create the disk?  Isn’t the writable CD/DVD drive a "removable drive"?

20. Paul says:

I have to tell you that I have used FSTW hundreds of times without a single problem. However, I always run it from the same single Windows XP Pro Installation CD.  That way I am using the same version all the time on both machines.  I also always write the file to an external USB hard drive or to the drive on the old computer and then remove the drive and install it into a USB enclosure to use on the new computer.

21. Jerry says:

I just wanted to know that you have just saved my life.  I had an OEM XP Home system that had gone unstable, and ran into this issue after I’d already wiped the drive on the system to upgrade to XP Pro.

You just saved 6 months of photos of my newborn, as well as my development work.

22. John says:

Thought I’d add a comment here – an alternative to removing the hot fix is to have the newer computer / version of windows create a Files and Settings Transfer Wizeard CD / DVD / ThumbDriver version to take to the old machine, and then run that one.

I had the same problem ~2 months ago, and finally found this hint somewhere.

23. sbt says:

Hi, found your article via

i want only to xfer oe6 accounts (exported iaf will successfully xfer accounts to fresh install of oe6) and messages. (if oe6, these are restorable by majik’s oe backup, OEQB similar to comments here such as #683432). OEQB also does the wab’s. you need to re-create each identity for the fresh OE, but that’s easy.

i had a little trouble working out getting vista hp to see xphome, largely because the vista is a laptop (pos interface) and there’s lots of regressive dysfunctional changes to vista ui (try vista and you’ll immediately see some.)

but i haven’t found a solution to queasytransfer not working.

one bizarre thing i noticed is that the dumping of the migwiz folder (from vista to xphome) takes a LOOOONNNGGG time (after waiting a bit, i walked away, came back a few hours later). this time was consumed by only vista sending the wizard to xp, no actual file transfers.

anyway, I’ll research other xfer methods . And first research topic is: how to accommodate winmail import function.  (because i doubt i can: install oe6 into vista, then use oeqb to restore data, then import to winmail)

i wonder if winmail import would find the messages if i copy the message stores to folder in usb drive?

winmail doens’t have identities. it has only on win user logon.

another possility is to install  tbird or other mail app, then import/ export every which way until winmail gets the stuff into itself. 🙂

24. Brian Snow says:

I could use a little help. Long story short: I had a bad computer crash, only way back was by replacing faulty hardware, reformatting HD, reloading XP home from CD, updating it via Windows update, reloading all Apps from CDs.

So now I’m back to a current computer with one user, "Owner".

I had a backup of the "Documents and settings" folder from before the crash (but not an entire C: drive backup — which I now regret).

It contains the data for several limited accounts I’d like to restore (settings, email, etc. for each)

I’d like a quick way to get accounts set up using the old data, but can’t find it. The old files are tied to user SID’s pre-crash, and the post-crash computer won’t recognize them as current users.

Is there an easier way than the brute force (if even that works) establishing new accounts, and over-writing contents of the new user folders with data from the old user folders?

Any help TRULY appreciated!

25. ken says:

Thank you! Your HotFix KB89634 suggestion saved my bacon. Both machines (new and old) must be matached with this hotfix or the transfer wizzard won’t work

26. buzzy says:

I’ve used it once (XP Home to XP Home for a new PC), and I don’t know that I’d use it again.  Whatever time it saves in getting the settings right on the new computer is lost in trying to figure out what it did, and what all the random junk it added to the new system is.

If Windows wasn’t such a maze of data and settings squirreled away in obscure locations, I wouldn’t even have begun using it.

And it needs *much* better filtering ability to exclude things you don’t want to transfer.

I think it’s main use must be for IT departments – "OK, here, your files and settings are transferred" – where the goal is to get onto the next job, without a lot of concern about how clean the new install is.

27. Timothy says:

I had to reformat the C: drive on a Dell Dimension B110 and reinstall WinXP with SP2 using the Dell distribution disk.

Before reformatting, I saved 2 user profiles with the FSTW on the original OS.

After installing the OS and all updates, I then tried to use the fresh WinXP FSTW to reload the user profiles, and got the "previous version" error message (=panic).

While the system was running, I put in the WinXP CD which autostarted.  I then used the FSTW on the CD to transfer the profiles to the C: drive successfully.

The critical change in the FSTW was in a Windows Update which I installed BEFORE restoring the user profiles.  This is arrogant and irresponsible of Microsoft to make such a change.

28. Kirk Samuels says:

The key factor seems to be that both systems have the same state of Hot Fix #KB896344. Since I could not easly remove the Hot Fix on the new system, I was fortunately able to go back to the old system, install the KB896344 Update, then redo the FSTW.  Worked just fine after that.

29. samantha says:

I am unable when I go to control panel, add and remove programs I am unable to see the option show updates help!

30. andypennell says:

Samantha: there is an option to "Show Updates", you need to enable that.

31. Ricardo says:

Thanks for the tip.  I had already wasted one whole day on resolving this problem.

32. Joe says:

Sweet that hotfix removal worked. First time I have found a solution to this issue.

33. MikeisMe says:

Blah, blah, blah.  I got the same error and knew there had to be a easy fix.  There was.

Scroll down where you can read this.

More Information:  If the file Migwiz.exe in the old computer has version 5.1.2600.2180, make sure that the new computer (where you’re transferring the settings to) contain the same version. Or, if the file Migwiz.exe in the old computer has the version number 5.1.2600.2665, make sure that the new computer has the same version of that file. Here is the Microsoft update which issues the latest version of Migwiz.exe (and supporting files).

I just found an older version put in on the pc, ran it, worked like a charm-got my settings and express data back.  Besides, my updates are slipstreamed and I cannot even remove that hotfix.

34. MikeisMe says:

Hey Andy,

didn’t like my blah, blah, blah post? Why cause it discounted your great wisdom?

35. I tried using a 320 gig usb hard drive to move my settings, and the brilliant piece of crap tried to include the files already on the drive. That’s funny, really, "Here, let me compress those files you already have on the removable drive and put them in the black hole, too!"

36. andypennell says:

Err Mike I was on vacation. To avoid spam all comments are moderated. Your great "solution" wouldn’t have helped me, as I already had the data in the old format and the machine had been reformatted.

37. TSK says:

This post was encouraging, but unfortunately doesn’t address the scenario where the hotfix wasn’t applied on the "new" computer (i.e., it was already part of the the XP Pro image).  I used the downlevel FAST to create the "migration store", and since I had my drive re-imaged, am not able to go back and update FAST to create a new backup.  Anyone know of a way to copy over the old FAST exe files and make the necessary registry changes on the "new" computer so I can extract the migration store?  It looks like the FASTCONV utility is only for recovering corrupt backups.  Any help would be appreciated.

38. phantam says:

That is the stupidest problem i have ever run into thanks for the post on this subject.

39. arg says:

Thanks this was a great help.

You realise Microsoft produce crap, but everytime you try something new you find its even worse than you thought.

Presumably they have been told about this hundreds of times, but 2 years later and they still cannot be bothered to fix it.

40. DMc says:

I’m glad so many people found help from this, just for the satisfaction of finding another work around for the many travails of working with MS.  However, I’m just writing to add my vote to the "it’s such a piece of crap program you shouldn’t even bother with it" group.  I’ve tried twice to move files and settings to a new drive after building a new pc.  The FSTW came from the same vista disc in both cases.  It didn’t work.  Made the backup file onto the new disc (which took hours); then went through this even longer unpacking step onto the new C: drive, and in the end what did I see?  NOTHING.  The space has been taken up on the drive, i sat there and watched it unpack each file, and in the end there is nothing in my user’s folders anywhere.  15 hours of packing and unpacking and then there’s nothing there.  I’ll just use  Ctrl-C.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

41. Brad says:

Thank you – I’d kiss you if I could.  I was working on a member of our Board of Directors pcs and got hit with this.  Remove one stupid service pack, how simple – but who’d have known,and Microsoft sure won’t tell you.  Thank you again for posting this.

42. Jacky Woo says:

Actually one do not need to uninstall the hotfix especially if you have the WinXP CD. Pop it in, the select "Perform Additional Task" then select "Transfer File and Setting" option.

This would work especially when you forgotten to create the wizard disk or the error prompted that you got some newer version whereas your backup is created by an older version.

43. wood25 says:

What an irritating programme the F.A.S.T wizard is. I have used the programme with success on my works computers and therefore had faith in it working on my home network, how wrong I was to trust it and having trawled the net for help I know I am in some good company. The hard drive on my Toshiba laptop with Pentium processor, running windows XP Home was getting very full so I used the wizard to transfer files and settings, on a home network, to a drive in my desktop dual core AMD computer running Widows pro service pack 2. I was unaware that both computers had to have the same Migwiz version and as the laptop was configured for auto updates I presume service pack two was loaded and the version of Migwiz was updated to 5.1.2600.2665 as this version is certainly on the laptop now after re-installing Windows with the Toshiba disk and re-connecting to the WEB. I have found that the desktop is not configured for auto updates and the Migwiz remains at version 5.1.2600.2180. When I try to run the wizard to transfer the data files from the desktop back to the laptop I receive the error so often mentioned � the location does not contain the files�. If I transfer the 6gig of data files onto a memory stick or external HD the transfer process starts for about half a second and I then get the error  � please insert disc 1� when I cancel after this message the next message states � undoing the changes made to your computer� proving that the transfer had indeed tried to start . I have tried to �unpack� the files using the �FASTconv� utility from the command prompt but get the error �invalid file�. I have some extremely important data to recover. Can anyone help or tell me of a Company who could retrieve the files?

44. L.D. Wang says:

Thank you! This problem has been irritating me all day here at work.

45. John Edwards says:

I have had the same problem with the message the location doesn’t contain the files or something like that, i found out that you have to point the wizard to the drive itself not the location on the the drive i.e just the drive letter not the USMT2.UNC file on the drive. Hope this helps.

46. Rick Reeves says:

I just had the following experience with FAST.

I used it to archive and restore a Win XP 32 bit

environment as I switched to Win XP 64 bit. About 250 GB of data over three logical partitions. Many  geospatial/GIS files (ESRI Shape Files), which are actually complexes of 5-6 files with the same prefix. One of the files in this complex is a .dbf file, one is an .xml .

The Wizard ran for 4 hours, and finished cleanly. And when I ran the Wizard on the XP 64 box, it apparently restored anything. HOEWEVER, it did not restore all of the files. In one case, the original folder contained 650 files, the ‘restored’ one contained 249 files. Most of the missing files were the Shape File components NOT ending in .xml or .dbf. No warning during the restore process.

If I had not made a ‘hard’ backup of this file system, I would have lost a couple months of work :{

47. JD says:

How would you handle the case where you have used fast on an SP2 computer which got reimaged to SP3? In this situation, KB89634 does not exist…

I tried ss to find the migwiz.exe that existed under SP2 to overwrite the one on SP3 but was unable to find it on the web. Someone can upload it please?

48. Mike C says:

Hi All,

For those of you that are having the problem where you get this message;

“The location you specified does not contain stored information.”

And you are running the Identical copies of the F.A.S.T programs here is your fix….

When you create the "backup file" it creates a folder named "USMT2.UNC" wherever you told it to save the file….Now when you run the wizard on the New PC and it asks where the file is located DO NOT POINT IT TO THAT USMT2.UNC folder! Instead Point it to the folder that contains the USMT2.UNC folder….so in my case I created a folder on my C: Drive called "Files and Settings" and that is where I told it to store the Backup info, and that is where the USMT2.UNC folder was created, so when I pointed the FAST program to the "Files and Settings" folder, the transfer worked flawlesly!

Hope this helps some people,

Mike C

49. wyrmwood says:

Using the install cd saved me from starting over 🙂

I had deleted the undo files…

50. billwoody says:

will i ever be able to undo all of the bad with the computers