Print Management Console in Server 2003 R2

Our team is shipping something very important soon - a new Print Management Console as part of Windows Server R2.  This new console gives administrators the tool they have always wanted to get control of their print environment.  It has the ability to manage multiple print servers, see printer status, job status, perform driver and port management..all from one console.  We think it is very cool.  R2 is at Rlease Candidate 1 and expected to ship before the end of the year.  I ran across a blog on the PMC that I thought was really great from a customer.  Check it out here.

- Andy

1. Joe Moschak says:

I can’t get the thing to even show up.  I go through the steps in the document:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Manage Your Server.

2. Click Add or remove a role.

3. In the Configure Your Server Wizard, click Next to get to the Server Role page.

4. On the Server Role page, click Print Server, and then click Next twice. Follow the steps in the wizard to complete the installation.

Then I:

To open Print Management

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Print Management.

and this is where I find nothing.  Being alphabetical, I’d think the Print Management would be between these two:

POP3 Service

Remote Desktop

But nothing!  Where, then?  So frustrating!

joem@seminarcrowds.com

2. Frank Olivier [MS] says:

Joe, this sounds like a pretty strange bug – I’ll have the PMC test team investigate this issue.

In the meantime, you can run the PMC by:

Start->Run

mmc

File -> Add/Remove Snapin

Add

Add ‘Print Management’

3. halfmoon says:

You have many printers in a network, do you want to know in what they are condition and who prints on them? Try Advanced Printer Monitor: a powerful and easy-to-use the network print queue manager program. This professionally developed and well design product will trace all events of a seal which occur in your corporate network and will quickly operate printers jobs.

4. David says:

Can this Pmc be run from xp? I have the R2 admin tools installed and cannot get the Group policy deploy printers to show up like it does on the r2 dc.

5. Frank says:

PMC should be able to run on xp; did you install the r2 schema update?

6. Chris Lathem says:

You have to go to Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components, and then choose Print Management under Management and Monitoring Tools before it shows up in Admin Tools, even if you use the Configure Your Server Wizard.

Comments are closed.