We are excited to announce the public preview of the 1400 compatibility level for tabular models in Azure Analysis Services! This brings a host of new connectivity and modeling features for comprehensive, enterprise-scale analytic solutions delivering actionable insights. The 1400 compatibility level will also be available in SQL Server 2017 Analysis Services, ensuring a symmetric modeling capability across on-premises and the cloud.
Here are just some highlights of the new features available to 1400 models.
- New infrastructure for data connectivity and ingestion into tabular models with support for TOM APIs and TMSL scripting. This enables:
- Support for additional data sources, such as Azure Blob storage. Additional data sources are planned soon.
- Data transformation and data mashup capabilities.
- Support for BI tools such as Microsoft Excel enable drill-down to detailed data from an aggregated report. For example, when end-users view total sales for a region and month, they can view the associated order details.
- Object-level security to secure table and column names in addition to the data within them.
- Enhanced support for ragged hierarchies such as organizational charts and chart of accounts.
- Various other improvements for performance, monitoring and consistency with the Power BI modeling experience.
Please see this post on the Azure blog for more information.