Announcement: eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 Sp3 is now available for download.

I am pleased to announce that we now have the evC 4.0 SP3 release of eVC 4.0 (ENU) available for download.

The main goal of evC 4.0 SP3 release is to address the issues raised by our customers around not being able to use the remote tools in evC 4.0 SP2 to target Windows 4.0 and 4.1 CE. This was largely due to that fact that evC 4.0 Sp1 and evC 4.0 Sp2 releases were not cumulative in nature and were tied to a specific platform.

However, hearing feedback from our customers on this, we have now released evC 4.0 SP3 which is a cumulative release of evC 4.0 SP1 and evC 4.0 SP2. With our current release we now provided the ability to select the appropriate version of the remote tool from the tools menu and be able to use the right set of tools for the selected platform.

What this will install on ?

evC 4.0 SP3 requires eVC 4.0 to install. It will also install and work as expected if you have either evC 4.0 Sp1 or evC 4.0 Sp2 or both installed. evC 4.0 SP3 also included previously release QFEs for eVC 4.0. No other feature enhancements or changes were made.

Amit Chopra
Program Manager – Visual Studio for Devices Team

1. dean landers says:

Are there plans for incorporating previous versions of CE development (read: 3.0) into evC 4.0? We have customers who sometimes ask why there are 2 versions they have to use for different versions of CE.

Dean Landers

2. Amit Chopra says:

Hi Dean, No there are no such plans. We are trying to unify development IDE to make them all VS 2005 (In fact Native development for devices will move to VS 2005 as well), however will not be able to go back all the way to eVC 3.0.

Amit Chopra

3. dean landers says:

Ok. In the new VS 2005, what versions of CE will people be able to develop on? What will they be able to import in and update, and what types of support will Microsoft give?

Please contact me at

Thank you.

4. Amit Chopra says:

It will be CE 5.0 and higher.

However you will be able to also do PPC and Smartphone 2003.

(And future versions of the same)

5. dean landers says:

So for versions of CE 4.2 and below, you will still have to use VS.NET (2003). And there will be no support in VC++ 2005 for CE4.2?

6. Amit Chopra says:

Yes that is correct. We are working on making sure Migration is avalable for VS 2003 as well as EVC 4.0 Projects into Whidbey.

7. dean landers says:

I understand. So what about companies who spent millions of dollars to develop Windows 4.2? Will Microsoft still support those customers?

8. Amit Chopra says:

We are fully commited to our platform.

A couple of issues are currently being flushed out and very soon we will publish the detailed plans on the supported and unsupported platforms for VS2005 and NET CFV2.0.

9. Dean says:

In my opinion, if Microsoft really wanted to be customer friendly, they would give support for all current platforms, as opposed to offering the barebones of support for only the newest platforms.

10. Ben says:

If I want to develop VC++ programs for a CE device i need Embbedded Visual C++ right? I can not use Visual Studio 2003? Also has anyone ran into problems running embedded visual c++ after installing visual studio .net 2003?

11. Amit Chopra says:

Yes. You need eVC 4.0 for developing in Native. For Managed (.net cf development) you can use Visual Studio .NET 2003.

Going forward support for both Native and Managed development will be available in Visual Studio 2005.

Regarding problems in eVC, what specific problems are you seeing ?

12. Ben says:

Whenever I open a new project or an old project I get this error and eVC crashes

AppName: evc.exe AppVer: 4.0.1505.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll

ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 00033ec0

13. Janosch says:

I have the exact same problem as Ben. Help!!!

14. Amit Chopra says:

Certianly worth investigating. I am having someone look at this and may post some followup information to ask.

15. Thai-Hoa Nguyen says:

Please send me repro steps. What eVC SPs did you install prior to installing SP3? What SDK do you use to create a new project or to open the existing project? Did you install this SDK prior to installing SP3? Thanks.

16. Janosch says:

I first istalled the Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 SDK.msi then installed eVC4.

I then tried to create a new project the first time (which didn’t work). Then installed SP3.

Since it didn’t work after several deinstallations and reinstallations I deinstalled everything I found which was connected to this.

After having cleaned my PC that way and rebooting it I now tried to just install eVC++. But the problem is still there.

I have Visual C++ 6 installed. Could it be a conflict between VC6 and eVC4?

17. Janosch says:

Okay, just deinstalle eVC4 and VC6, rebooted and installed eVC4 again… Now it works! Will install SP3 now. Will let you know if things keep fine 🙂

18. Janosch says:

Everything seems to work nicely now. I’ll be available for some testing or questions on monday again. It seems that there was a serious conflict between VC6 and eVC4

19. Amit Chopra says:

I am glad to hear things are working for you. We do test side by side with VC6 and number of other products for eVC, however I will make sure my QA team makes a note of this issue. Thanks

20. Dennis says:

Ok.. now I’m confused.. I am very new to embedded devlopment and can someone clarify this for me..

With eVC++ 4.0 and SP3, can I still develop for WinCE 2002 and 2003 devices? And if I move to VS 2005, can I still develop for WinCE 2002 and 2003 devices?

21. Björn says:

I’ve got the same problem!

I can’t compile, open or make a new project…

Here is what I get:

AppName: evc.exe AppVer: 4.0.1505.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll

ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 00033ec0

22. Amit Chopra says:

Trying to reply to 2 threads here.

1. For VS 2005, in Beta 1 we are supporting Windows CE 5.0 as well as Windows Mobile 2003. For the final release the list of supported Versions is being finalized.

Current SP3 of eVC 4.0 support Windows CE 4.2 and Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition.

eVC 4.0 SP4 (to be released shortly) will support all versions of Windows CE including version 5.0 SP4 is a cumulative service release so that all functionality of the previous updates will be included.

2. For Björn: When I looked at this issue previously, it appears to be an install sequence issue. I know it is always a botheration to install / uninstall however is most cases where we ran into this issue, customers have reported uninstalling the Service Packs, eVC 4.0 and then installing eVC 4.0 with Service Pack 3 has fixed this one.

23. admin person says:

I’ev finished fresh installations of embedded c++ 4.0 and windows 2003 sdk on two machines, one p4/win2000 and one 750/winXP with vs2003. Everytime I create a new project (no sp[s] installed) the whole developing environment stops responding. End Now. Reload. New workspace -> new project -> stops responding -> end now -> loop while (me->not_fustrated). This happens identically on both machines. At some time i rebooted a couple of times, still nothing. Give me a clue to what I didnt/forgot/wasnt informed about.

24. Amit Chopra says:

Couple of this I noticed here that you could do.

1. I am assuming when you said windows 2003 SKD you are refereing to Windows Mobile 2003 SDK. If this is correct you certainly require SP3 of EVC to work.

2. The correct order for install would be

– Un-Install the Windows Mobile 2003 SDK

– Install SP3 of eVC 4.0

– Install the Windows Mobile 2003 SDK so that it can register correctly with eVC.

This should help.