How to add notepad shortcut in "Send to" menu on Windows 7

I found adding notepad shortcut in the “Send to” menu very useful trick as I can send any file to notepad quickly as seen in the screenshot below:

Follow the instructions below to add notepad shortcut in “Send to” menu:

1. Type shell:sendto in Search in Start menu (or in Start –> Run) and press enter. This will open the following location in a windows explorer window: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
  2. Open C:\Windows in windows explorer and find notepad.exe.
  3. Right click on notepad.exe and drag and drop it to the windows explorer window you opened in the first step. Then choose “Create shortcuts here”.
  4. (Optional) Rename it as Notepad.

Now you can right click on any file and choose Notepad from “Send to” to open the file in notepad.

Of course you can add as many shortcut in Send To menu as you want.

Applies To:

Windows 7, Windows 2008 (not tested yet).

1. John says:

now blog how to to it for all users on a machine (not just personal profile):-)

2. Stephen Wells says:

Or you could just get Notepad++ which adds an Open in Notepad++ shortcut to every file

3. Stephen Wells says:

Oh wait you already have that. Why would you need to send it to Notepad if you have Notepad++ installed??

4. I tried it in the folder "C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsSendTo" hoping it would work, but it didn't work. Is there a way to accomplish this for all users at once.

5. Tested on Windows 2008. It works.

Thanks for the trick Ahmet. This trick is very handy.

6. @Stephen Wells – Although Notepad++ is great when working with big files, I found Notepad starts faster with small files such as most of the config data. Also – the main purpose of the article is to explain how to add a shortcut in "send to" menu. Maybe I should have chosen a different title for the article 🙂

7. @arun.passioniway – thanks for trying that on Windows 2008 🙂

8. teoman says:

very nice blog post! Please Keep posting these kinds of tricks.

Tesekkurler 🙂

9. Observer says:

Thank you.. It worked for me. I've added all I need in the Send To now 🙂 Keep up the good work.

10. BAM!  Works perfectly – thank you!

11. cc44 says:

Here's a neat trick I picked up somewhere a few years ago…

shell:sendto to open the sendto shortcuts folder

then … right click… New -> Shortcut

paste the current folder location.. something like : C:UsersYOURUSERNAMEAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsSendTo

… now you have a sendto shortcut in your sendto folder!  so … you can sendto sendto!

to add notepad just go find notepad.exe  in c:windows

right click -> create shortcut

shortcut is now on your desktop… right click on it and sendto -> sendto

boom notepad is added…

i find this handy as you can easily add other applications later as all you do is find or create a shortcut and send the shortcut to the sendto shortcuts!

12. Barry Graham says:

Thanks – great!!

13. Jim Kennedy says:

So noone wants to talk about doing this for "All Users" and one time and any future users added to the system.  How can this be done?

14. Gopal says:

Hi, I tried to add Excel 2010 shortcut to the folder and it allowed. But when I right click and navigate to Send to option – it doesn't show this shortcut.

I am trying to open a data file (that can be opened in notepad for sure).

15. Fred Coad says:

@Jim Kennedy & @arun.passioniway

The only way I know how to add this to all users already on a system, is to manually add it to each users "SendTo" folder.

However, you can have this added to all NEW users on a system. Add it to the folder

This should work on all versions of Windows, but I have not actually tested it on WIndows 7 or 8!

16. Blaqwolf says:

@Fred @ Jim

I agree with Fred, there is no appdata folder in the all users folder (at least not in server 2012 R2) so therefore no sendto folder to add anything too.

You can only add to default users which is used when  new user folder is created.

17. Senthil Kumaravel says:

This document nailed with what I want. Thanks.