Have you used the Eclipse development tool?

If you have used Eclipse then I’d love for you to post some comments to tell us all what you like so much. What features exist in Eclipse that aren’t in VS.NET or WebMatrix that you’d like to see included? I’d love to hear your opinions on the subject.

1. dsuspense says:

Best free Java IDE for developing J2EE apps:

1. It is free.

2. Fast (faster then Swing based IDEs like NetBeans and SunOne Studio).

3. Numerous plugins, both open source and commercial (http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/eclipse/index.jsp).

4. Wide industry, vendor, open source, and developer support.

Comparing Eclipse to VS.NET and WebMatrix is an apples vs oranges comparison in my mind.

VS.NET and WebMatrix are "visual" IDEs, and Eclipse is not really that "visual".

It does make the task of developing, testing, refactoring, building and deploying very easy.

2. Diego Gonzalez says:

I really like the easy and great extensibility and the greatest Refactorings.

3. Eclipse really ‘groks’ your code. VS.NET only

pretends to.

1. For example, given two methods foo(int i) and

another foo(int i, bool j), put your cursor

on a call to foo(10) and ask VS.NET to find

the definition. It will take you to the first

one it finds, not the real one.

2. Eclipse lets you rename a variable, and it

finds all instances of that variable in the

scope and renames only them. Eclipse lets you

rename methods and it will track down all

the calls to that method and rename them.

3. Eclipse will let you reorder arguments in

a method and then update all the calls to the

method automatically. It does refactoring

so well.

Eclipse really understands OO code.

-mitch fincher

4. I posted a few thoughts about Eclipse and other editors in two threads about my desire to replace UltraEdit:

Eclipse was clean, fast (surprised me immensely since it is Java-based), and I liked the overall design. Unfortunately, no VB.NET-specific support, so I moved on to greener pastures. I spend most of my time doing ASP.NET with hand-crafted, multiplatform XHTML/CSS, so VS.NET is just too "wizard-me-this" to get anything done in, and I use a LOT of common code, stylesheets, etc. among many ASP.NET projects, which VS.NET would probably have a problem with.

5. First off, a belated congrats on your new position at Microsoft! It’s great to see a local dude making it big at Microsoft (I’m in the Detroit area of Michigan).

I had a small Java project that was manageable with EditPlus and ant. However, it recently grew and I started using Eclipse.

The biggest thing I love about Eclipse is the refactoring tools. They rock! I also liked the way "jump to declaration" works (as mitch mentioned). It will jump to the proper overload based on where you are in the code. Very cool!

6. Yiyi Sun says:

I liked Eclipse’s debug capability very much. I used to work with a web application with Tomcat, Eclipse and the Sysdeo Tomcat plug-in. The application has request filters (same thing as HTTPModule in ASP.NET), servlets, beans and custom tags(like custom server control in ASP.NET). They are all java classes. Well, I can put break points to in any of class, stop, change the code (eg. correct SQL statement) and continue to execute with out restart, as long as don’t remove or add new fucntions to the classes. (I have to restart debug in VS.NET if changed the code).

The other thing is that Eclipse synchronizes the source code with CVS while VS.NET dose not in terms of renaming or deleting files.

The new class wizard adds all fucntions from parent interfaces that need to be implemented. Hope to see this in VS.NET.

7. The power of Eclipse is in the numerous plugins. Other features that I like are Refactoring, Debugging.

Apart from Eclipse, there is another IDE that is worth mentioning here. The IntelliJ Idea

1. Refactoring

2. Ease of writing plugins
  8. Hugh Spinks says:

I’ve used Eclipse in a production environment for the past two years. I wouldn’t think of using anything else! I recently started a "private" Windows-based project of my own and intended to use VS.NET. But after using Eclipse, I was so frustrated with VS.NET’s lack of intelligent (code-aware) tools and clumsy, haphazard UI, I abandoned VS.NET/C# and returned to Eclipse. I’m going to use the SWT GUI support provided with Eclipse to develop Windows dekstop apps.

Eclipse seems to "think" like a developer and it’s obvious that it was designed by developers. There are too many productivity enhancements to describe here, but refactoring, its "knowledge" of the structure of your app, smart, dynamic tracking between GUI elements (editors, outlines, lists, etc.), and the overall "feel" of the IDE is unparalled IMHO. And it’s as responsive, or even more responsive in some cases, as VS.NET. An amazingly well-designed app that is improving with every release. MS needs to look at what they’ve done with Eclipse!!

9. Zef Hemel says:

I happen to have written down a couple a week or two ago: http://www.zefhemel.com/164.php

10. Dave Collie says:

I’ve used both VS.NET and Eclipse, I don’t miss much from VS.NET when using Eclipse but going the other way, when using VS.NET I miss:

1) tight integration with ANT (build tool)

2) ditto JUNIT

3) Refactoring support – this is a major time saver

Dave

11. Rusty says:

Add a robust CVS plug-in for Web Matrix!!!!!!!