Do you miss ASPToday.com?

For those of you who didn’t have a subscription to the site, I wrote a monthly column on ASPToday that focused on various software development issues. Shortly after Wrox went into liquidation and ASPToday.com was “turned off”, I had a handful of people send me email directly to voice their concern about ASPToday.com.

Now that ASPToday has been gone for a while, I’m curious to know if people miss it? Did you find it particularly useful? I found it quite useful but would not have subcribed under the current cost model. I did read most of the articles though and after a few months of using the site I began to turn to it as a regular source of information.

APress has purchased the rights to the domain name and I suppose it’s not too far fetched to think that they may revive the site. Do you think that is a wise move? Can a subscription site like ASPToday compete with the likes of 4guysfromrolla.com, ASPAlliance.com, DotNetJunkies.com, AspFree.com, etc.? What features would make you pay money for ASPToday when there are plenty of free alternatives? Do those other sites stack up to ASPToday?

Speak your mind…..

1. Anthony Your says:

I really enjoyed the site in its prime. I thought it was worthwhile site but not really sure if it makes sense today.

More comments in my blog

2. Anonymous says:

Patrick Steele’s .NET Blog

3. Anonymous says:

SlavoF’s WebLog

4. I can’t see how it can be feasible for a site to charge for content when there’s so much great free stuff out there. Take the current Top 3 (in my opinion) for cutting edge content:

– Google

– Msdn

– CodeProject

Then, there’s a whole slew of other sites that regularly publish, MODERATED, CURRENT, QUALITY information such as:

– 4Guys

– DotNetJunkies

– etc.

The only thing that ASPToday might have had was – in their earlier days at least – they seemed to publish things that were either conceptually new or, at least cutting-edge. That certainly was not the case in the end where many of their articles were nothing more than elaborate, implementation-specific applications! After all, there’s probably a finite amount of cutting edge information that people are prepared to tell about 🙂

Give me Google and a vivid imagination any day!!

5. Scott Galloway says:

I do miss ASPToday, I had a free subscription (don’t ask…) since they turned subscriptions on. As a resource for someone beginning ASP.NET, it was invaluable. Whilst in recent times they did tend to publish thinly veiled book advertisments – for which read anything by Alex Homer whos’ articles I always felt were bad at best and destructive at worst…and ‘benchmarks’ – I’m still traumatised by an article written about explicit casting versus container.eval – which found container.eval was faster!

In amongst this swarf, there were some real gems however – still remember and use an article which was written about Flash MX and web services chat – the best technique and article I’ve ever seen about this subject.

The other sites – read 4GuysFromRolla, Aspfree and the others – have really gone downhill, in the ASP only days they ruled but recently they really suck – a 14(and counting) part article on DataGrids, give me a break! The exception to this rule is ASP Alliance, where on the rare occasion that something new is published (please, no more articles on ASP.NET templates!) it’s generally pretty good…

6. Paschal says:

I do miss ASPToday, and I am really concerned by their huge resources whereabouts.

It was for me since many years the reference for ASP and not so the best for. Net. However this site still provided a good value for money.

I would like to see John Chapman bringing back live the resources, some are pure gems.

I liked when I start .Net to take some ‘old’ articles and see how I can do the same with .Net.

I paid as a subscriber and I really want to see the articles back in some place.

ASPToday had also good value articles on subjects like XML or Databases.

7. Michael Dorfman says:

I definitely miss ASPToday, and have heard from APress that they are planning on bringing the site back soon. I was a long-time subscriber, and felt they had three main competitive advantages which kept the subscription worth the money, even when there’s a lot of free alternatives:

1) Consistent publishing schedule. 5 updates a week, like clockwork. The other sites are not nearly so dependable.

2) Generally high quality of the articles. Sure, it was hit or miss sometimes, but the ratio was as good or better than any other ASP site out there.

3) Excellent indexing. They had a very intelligent indexing system that made it easy to find articles among the 1000+ they had published.

I’d definitely re-sub, if the new site is anything like the old one.

8. Alex Lowe says:

Yeah, I definitely agree with Michael regarding his three points but I’m still not sure people will pay for it at this point in time.

9. I liked CSharpToday’s case studies much more than ASPToday’s how to do X.

As I said in my comments about aspnetPro, I have no problem paying for content, but if I do, it should be about something I don’t know…or don’t have the time to really explore.

Painting a pretty picture on top of docs was nice during beta 1, but now, if you want my money, you will need to show me something that does not already exist on the 100’s of community sites out there.

The easiest way to be unique, is to write/publish something that requires some real effort and time. This after all is what I am paying for…your effort and time. If it is an article you could look at the docs for 20 minutes, spend a couple of hours writing and then publish…why would I pay you when I could do the same thing.

I told you before (I think) I liked your ASPToday column because it wasn’t something that could not be reproduced else where.

-Scott

10. brady gaster says:

you have no idea. i loved that site. such good articles, every single day – well, at least about 90% of the days. some lame stuff, but overall, i loved reading that site on a regular basis.

11. It fell short of what it could have been, but I miss it. The articles were comprehensive, useful, and provided excellent sample code. The quality was top notch where other dev sites are hit-and-miss. I appreciated the quality control.

My main complaint was the shelf life of the articles. Many (like the .NET Beta 2 articles) were written for a specific point in time and they didn’t invest in updating them, or categorise by version.

Many authors were allowed to write "I’ll write more on this later," or "contact me if you’d like the latest version," but by the end, those were untended dead ends.

But what was there, in and of itself, was damn good.

Note that a failure to categorise by version inhibits the usefulness of other .NET dev sites too.

Take care,