The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available


 Does the following error message looks familiar to you?

(When you go to Site Actions –> Site Settings –> [Site Administration] –> Term store management)
The managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started. Please Contact your Administrator.

image

Further check in ULS log and you see the following: (Product=SharePoint Server, Category=Taxonomy)

Permission check failed for WFE web app user: permission check: ‘0000000000001000’ term store: ‘Managed Metadata Service 1 Application’.

However in Central Admin site, you were able to browse Term Store Management Tool (Application Management –> [Service Applications] –> Manage service applications –> Managed Metadata Service 1 Application) and the page renders nicely without the error message as below.

image

 

If that’s the case, then you pretty much just missing the permissions for web application’s app pool ID to access Managed Metadata service application. All you have to do is to add the account used by the web app’s application pool into the ‘connection permissions’ as below. Try not to mess around with SQL user security/DB mappings as suggested by other posts.

Solution
=======

1. Go to SharePoint Central Administration Site –> Application Management –> [Service Applications] –> Manage service applications

2. Highlight the Managed Metadata Service that your web application is associated with. (Do not click on the link, just click somewhere else on that row to highlight it)

3. Click on Permissions button in the ribbon area.

4. Add the application pool account used by your web application and give it at least ‘Read Access to Term Store

image

5. click OK

 

Now you should be able to use term stored provided by the associated Managed Metadata Service Application.

 

– Allen

Comments (15)

  1. Rogier Duurkoop says:

    Thank you, I was looking for this solution !

  2. Mike says:

    For me, I got this error when I ran out of disk space on my DB server.

  3. Jonathan says:

    Yep this saved my day!

  4. Asaf says:

    I tried the above solution but still had error reported. My problem turned out to be related to SQL Server database permission.

    I used dedicated application pool with user SVC-SPWebSvcAppPool and when I checked ULS I found out error reported was related to this user not being able to access managed metadata service database as well as the site collection database I setup for Content hub URL.

    I gave above user SQL Server database permission and all worked fine.

    The following one guided me in the right direction;

    blogs.msdn.com/…/the-managed-metadata-or-connection-is-currently-not-available.aspx

    Even though solution suggested didn’t solve my problem but it made me think problem could be permission-related.

    Thanks,

    Asaf

  5. Jaymeson Beck says:

    I restarted the web services website in iismanager on both servers and it's working on both servers now.  Not sure why these got messed up.

  6. Suresh Pydi says:

    Nice post. Here is one more post to configure managed meta data in share point 2013

    sureshpydi.blogspot.in/…/sharepoint-2013-configure-managed.html

  7. Awesome says:

    Thanks for this helpful post!

  8. Tulasi says:

    Thanks and Nice Post. Here one more Post for solve this issue.

    http://www.dotnetsharepoint.com/…/the-application-pool-or-managed.html

  9. Tulasi says:

    Thanks and Nice Post. Here one more Post for solve this issue.

    http://www.dotnetsharepoint.com/…/the-application-pool-or-managed.html

  10. shaun enright says:

    I have this problem on one of my QA servers.

    I cannot get the services to re-initialize.

    iisreset 50+ times, rebooted server 100 times …

    disabled service

    re-enabled service

    checked permissions

    edited permissions and added more group accounts to test

    still did not fix the issue.

  11. Shaun Enright says:

    forgot to mention it's SharePoint 2013

  12. Imsunny says:

    I am facing same issue but in my case I get same error in CA as well as on sites.

  13. Before you grant or change any permissions, you could try and run "psconfig -cmd secureresouces" on each of the SharePoint servers. This is due to a bug in one cumulative update that does not perform this step properly.

    NOTE: During this process some services might be unavailable on the server.

  14. Chuck says:

    "psconfig.exe -cmd secureresources" worked for me in 2013 when I had this same issue. 11 minutes of nail-biting .

Skip to main content