Chances are you have heard about the Kinect for Xbox 360 which lets you play games without a controller. The Kinect is a full body motion sensing device that lets you use your body as the controller. You may be wondering how it works though? The magic is in the software! OK, sure the hardware is important to but software is what makes the hardware go right? Anyway, here are some links to more information about how this exciting new technology works. Update: You can lsten to a podcast of me talkng about how the Knect works by vistng http://www.mos.org/events_activities/podcasts&d=4858 I recorded that intervew at Boston's Museum of Scence in February 2011.
- How Motion Detection Works in Xbox Kinect
- Bathed in light: how the Kinect paints your room in IR (video)
- Exclusive: Inside Project Natal's Brain (Project Natal was the code name for Kinect while it was in development)
- Binary Body Double: Microsoft Reveals the Science Behind Project Natal for Xbox 360
- Recently Microsoft Research revealed more of the guts of Kinect technology
- Silicon Valley’s Kinect Contributions
And a couple of videos looking at the device using IR imaging. Not sure what these really mean but my more geeky friends are all excited by them.