NCWIT (National Center for Women & Information Technology) is running an award program for high school women in the greater metropolitan areas of Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, and New York City
Sponsored by Bank of America, the NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing recognizes young women at the high-school level for their computing-related achievements and interests. By generating visibility for these young women in their local communities, the NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing encourages their continued interest in computing, attracts the attention and support of educational and corporate institutions, and emphasizes at a personal level the importance of women's participation.
Each qualified awardee will receive:
- $500 in cash.
- A laptop computer, provided by Bank of America.
- An expenses-paid trip, provided by Bank of America, for each awardee and a parent/legal guardian, to attend the Bank of America Celebrating Stars of the Future Technology Showcase and Awards Ceremony, August 1-3, 2008, in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- An engraved award for both the student and the student's school.
- Inclusion in a video that highlights her accomplishments in computing, her future aspirations, and her participation in the Award events in Charlotte, North Carolina, as well as a copy of the final Award video.
- For awardees who will be high school seniors in the Fall of 2008, an expenses-paid trip for the awardee and an accompanying parent/legal guardian to attend NCWIT's national workshop on Women and IT at the University of California at Irvine, November 5-6, 2008.
Lots more information available at the NCWIT site here. If you know a young woman in the targeted areas let them know right now so they can get involved. Online self-nominations must be submitted by
April 23, 2008 April 30, 2008. Supporting documentation must be received by April 25, 2008 May 2, 2008; if you mail these documents, we suggest mailing no later than April 18 23, 2008.