I wrote most of this post for my general education blog at On10 but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I needed to present it to a larger audience. So here it goes.
I was reading the announcement for the Educational Blogger awards here. As I thought about the process and the categories they list I began to wish they had subject matter categories other than library. I realize that there are a lot of blogging librarians but what about history, math, English, and my favorite – computer science? And special education! Are there people writing good stuff for special education parents and teachers? These are the categories I would use but I am open to suggestions:
- English/Language Arts/Reading
- Sciences (maybe one day there will be a break down here – should it be broken down to Physical and Social at least)
- Social Studies
- Special Needs/Special Education
- Computer Science (just because I think there are more CS specific blogs right now and we need to keep things open for the other sciences to grow)
- Other – Arts, Music, PE, Etc. – Are there enough blogs in these areas to break it down? Who knows?
Wouldn’t it be great to have some lists of the best blogs that focus on specific subject matter? I think it would be good if only to help support people who are sharing information in those specific subject areas. Maybe I need to start this one myself.
Honestly there are probably not enough people blogging in specific subject areas. Perhaps an award system will encourage those who are doing it and get others to think about blogging themselves. If nothing else at least the process might help build up some audiences.
What do you think? Do you agree that we need awards for subject matter education bloggers? Who wants to help?