For me it the very timely term, because it succinctly describes a whole lot of Astronaut Architect dreaming I’ve been doing for the last 2 years.
I recently started twittering as adjames*, and I’ve noticed, the stream of consciousness style demanded by Twitter, forces you to explain something in stand-alone 140 character snippets.
I think that, for me at least, this fosters higher bandwidth communication…
So here is my recent passionate rant on Composable Services:
- Composable Services (from Dru: http://is.gd/gg63) is the right name for what has been brewing in my mind for the last 2 years.
- Why? Well if I can compose services, perhaps I can
dowrite expressions that compose those services.
- If I can do that, I can infer intent from the expression, and re-write as required before processing.
- Today we optimize CLR expressions that originate in LINQ by translating to native SQL and sending to the DB.
- Tomorrow we could optimize service based expressions that originate on a client and send them to an appropriate orchestration engine.
- Injecting security checks, logging etc, simply by using a visitor to walk the expression and re-write as appropriate.
- Orchestration is then simply a case of farming out the handling of sub-expressions as required.
- Now all I need a portable type system.
- EDM per chance?
Ah… I love being a dreamer.
* In case you’re wondering ‘d’ is for ‘Douglas’…