At last I can document something that might, possibly, be of marginal use to those one or two readers who mistakenly stray into the quagmire of my unrelated weekly ramblings. For the last few months I’ve been fulfilling my new role as an out-of-sight-and-out-of-mind remote documentation engineer (that’s a documentation engineer who’s remote, not an engineer who writes remote documentation – though, having read some of my scribblings, you might dispute that assertion). Anyway, recently I was beamed up to the mother-ship to spend a couple of weeks onsite at Redmond. I suspect they just wanted to see if the weird English guy they accidently offered a job to actually does exist.
So a while ago, while preparing my shiny and tiny XPS laptop for the trip, I had a minor moan about Vista’s backup facility. But little did I realize that worse was coming my way. My laptop usually lives on the corporate domain, even though I only connect to the domain over a VPN and am not connected during login to the machine. The cached domain credentials allow me to log into the machine without being connected, and then the O/S authenticates me on the domain when I connect to the network.
All fine so far. Except that, for some reason, one day it suddenly stopped me from logging in to the machine. I assumed that this was because I hadn’t physically connected to the domain for several weeks. So it should all sort itself out when I can reduce the 5,000 mile gap between my laptop and the nearest corporate Ethernet socket. The domain controller would be forced to accept that I’m not just some ethereal figment of its Active Directory, and would gleefully welcome home it’s long-lost prodigal son.
Now, I’m not generally known to suffer from wild spasms of optimism. And so I wasn’t really surprised when the long-awaited fusing of my tiny little Dell with the corporate big-iron simply resulted in an Event Viewer full of error messages, a pop-up telling me there was an error in my profile, and the machine refusing to persist any changes to the environment. Every logon was accompanied by a long wait while Vista “prepared my desktop” (I could have built a whole desk in the time it takes), a task bar full of useless notification icons (what the **** do they all do?), dialogs welcoming me to the exciting world of Windows Vista (yes please, I’d love to watch the introduction video again), the Home page of Dell Support’s Web site (just in case something broke while booting up?), and – of course – none of the useful stuff I set up last time.
After a quick consultation with the onsite server admin guy (hi Mike), it seemed like this is not an unknown issue – he had a laptop suffering from just this malady. While he hadn’t had time to investigate, he did confirm that it was a problem with Vista not being able to create the profile folder on the local disk. But why? The relevant folder did not exist, the parent folder was not read-only, and a quick test by manually creating the required folder had no effect. So it looked like I was in for another of my regular hunt-round-the-Registry-and-delete-stuff exercises.
Of course, as per accepted administrative guidelines, I need to warn you about editing the Registry. So, before you start, make sure you write out your will, lay in supplies of pizza and cola, and say goodbye to the kids and the dog. You might also like to wear some protective clothing (a T-shirt with a suitably inane slogan will do), and make sure there is nothing valuable in the direction you are likely to throw the unbootable machine afterwards.
Once prepared, locate the Registry Key:
This contains a subkey named with a SID for each user account on the machine. In theory, there is one for each of the named folders in the C:\Users folder on your disk. If you select a SID subkey, you’ll see the user name in its subkeys, so you can compare each one with the disk folders. You should find ones for the Administrator, Local System, and Network accounts; as well as ones for all the users registered on the machine or in the domains you’ve joined.
My machine has led a busy existence during its short life, moving between three domains and having a couple of local users. During a “routine clean up”, I seem to remember deleting some of the subfolders in the Users folder – though I was, of course, careful not to delete any currently registered users. What I discovered was the Registry still held references to profile folders for accounts that no longer exist on the machine, but not one for the domain account I was trying to use. I have no idea why this caused a problem, but I decided to tidy up the Registry while I was in there and deleted the SID subkeys, including all their child subkeys, for all of the non-existent user accounts.
Then, having decided which wall would be the target for an airborne laptop, I rebooted. And, magically, it all worked. Instant logon to the domain, wireless certificates downloaded and installed, and no errors. Quick reconfigure of the desktop, log off, log on again, and it remembered my settings. No more “Welcome to Vista” stuff; and everything working just as it should. Even Outlook managed to find its Exchange Server without the usual application of a large stick. Amazing. Maybe I can actually get to love Vista after all…