Welcome to my blog!

My name is Alex Gorev and I am a software developer in the SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) team. Before joining Microsoft in April 2007, I spent 8 years working at Dundas Software, where I started as a developer, then became a lead and then an architect. If you ever heard about Dundas, you can guess that my passion is Data Visualization. At Dundas we created a collection of visual components Chart, Gauge, Map and others, which enable our customers to easily create visual dashboards using different technologies like ASP.NET, Windows Forms, Reporting Services and Sharepoint. After Dundas acquisition in 2007 I was leading the visual report items team and we added new Chart and Gauge visualizations in SSRS 2008.

I created this blog to share my ideas about Data Visualization and to answer any commonly asked questions about the chart, gauge, map and other visual components we are working on.

Ok. I think this is enough for my first post but I promise more interesting stuff to follow!

Alex.

1. Emmanuel says:

Hi Alex, i have two questions?

1) Where can i download the trial version of Dundas Chart for Reporting Services (SSRS 2005)

2) I have downloaded the Microsoft Chart Control for .NET 3.5. How can i then integrate it into Reporting Services 2005

2. Raja Sebastin says:

Hi Alex,

I have an issue with mschart for vb6,

Actually i want to join two data points , which has an intermediate null data, at present i am breaking the graph , but i want to join the two points excluding this null value,is this possible in mschart,

plz help , i am caught up with this issue for several days.

i came across ur blog while surfing across

social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/0ffdfe6e-e0e3-4b9f-b444-6ff34ce69d4e

waiting for ur reply

3. Raja Sebastin says:

i can put it more clearly as

I have to plot in such a way that the line should be continuous, even though some values are null. In my case, I am breaking the line were values are not there. But I need to join the lines with the next valid data instead of breaking.

like for eg:

value 1      value 2          Date(x)

12              no value       01.03.2011

10              15                 05.03.2011

15              no value      06.03.2011

25              10                 08.03.2011

in the above case value1 is one line and value 2 is another line, so value 1 will be continuous line since it has all values, but value2 line will be broken , instead i have to join 15 and 10 directly. but it should have reference to date.Now wt i am doing is i have used .datagrid to skip plotting null value, so the graph gets broken.

4. Plotting Columns by DataBindCrossTab says:

Hi Alex,

I am using DataBindCrossTab with Two columns of a list : StartDate and Category, The graph works fine, it populates 6 series based on values of category.

.DataBindCrossTable(disturbances, "Category", "StartTime", "Category", String.Empty, DataVisualization.Charting.PointSortOrder.Ascending)

The X axis is Date and unit is years and Graph type is Column. my problem is all data are shown as points, while I expect them as column with a length of data points. How I can plot and aggrgate points into colums on the X axis?

Thanks,

Bahram

5. Rakesh Nirmal says:

Hi Alex,

I am much thankful for your blogs.

I learn many things from your lessions.

6. lct says:

Hi Alex,

I really appreciate for your work. But I have a problem and I hope you can help me out.

Is it possible to create a chart report in sql 2008 reporting services and then integrate with asp.net mvc 3?

Thanks for your help.

7. stevenjeason says:

how can I control the axisX'Text ?

I do not want the Text  wrap