Allofmp3 – down for bad.

This news doesn’t look good….

(disclaimer time)

I’ve been a customer for around 2 years, have been recommending the site for some time and currently have about $20 unspent credit caught up in there. I’ve never had problems with the site nor any issues around creadit card fraud in those two years.

I’m guessing now, but like Mike, I suspect the reason reason has to do with RIAA pressure, rather than doing a bad one on their customers.

My take? If the RIAA has shut down this site, they are making a big mistake – the service’s customers are paying customers, paying what they think, including me, is a reasonable pricepoint given the overpricing we’ve seen historically from those who claim they are helping artists… I’ve spent more on music in the last two years than ever before because I feel I’m getting good value. This latest RIAA bull has reminded me of why they are losing CD sales. The darknet beckons….

1. Chip Pough says:

Seems to me thay are up grading the site. I went to site a few days ago and downs loaded a new. Allofmp3 access program. They wil be better than ever in a few days

2. MSDNArchive says:

i soooo hope you’re right Chip.

3. Hannes Magnusson says:

Hmh. Works just fine now 🙂

4. MSDNArchive says:

5. Steve Rab says:

Seems to me that they are doing what they say. Upgrading their servers. In the days leading up to last weekend, I noticed major delays, inability to hear music clips due to timeouts, even ordering was difficult. But I was able to order and listen on occasion. This indicated that the site was operational just slow not shutting down. I hope.

6. Bob Petch says:

Every day in the past they have managed to send out e-mails on the latest albums now in the library.How come they have not sent out an e-mail to let users know what is going on? I notice other Russian sites are still going Ok.

7. SHAX says:

I hope is back soon… I’ve downloaded loads of songs from this site, and the absolute value for money is what keeps me coming back… if it’s gone for good, then I’ll have to buy cd’s again!

No way am I going to iTunes….

8. Alan says:

"My take? If the RIAA has shut down this site, they are making a big mistake – the service’s customers are paying customers"

My take is slightly different – the artists who are producing the music don’t see a penny out of any sales on While I think that the RIAA’s tactics, and indeed *any* kind of DRM is despicable, I do believe that the artist deserves to get paid for the work that they’ve done. Sites like just drive artists into the arms of people like the RIAA becuase they’re worried about being ripped off. I’m no great fan of iTunes or their ilk, but at least they pay their royalties. If no artist ever made any money from making music, then where’s the motivation for them to do it?

9. MSDNArchive says:

Royalties are payed to the labels.

Now, per sale, they’ll get less….

But the volume, going from the fact that they’ve come in at #2 online music seller in the UK since being tracked, could make up the difference. Low pricepoints, high volume – classic internet business.

I think (I’m speculating) because of the low pricepoint, they are encouraging more $ being spent overall. This is true for me. The end result could be that more artists could see more pennies. That’s why I pay for the music, not steal it.

10. Anthony Simek says:

Welcome back ALLOFMP3!  We missed ya for the last few days.  🙂

11. Alan says:

"Alan. I believe you are mistaken with respect to the artists not seeing a penny from the sales on

Royalties are payed to the labels. "

No, they aren’t. stands by the terms of the Russian Organization for Multimedia & Digital Systems (aka ROMS). This dictates that they must indeed pay a royalty for all physical and electronic media sales. However, this *only* covers sales in Russia. They argued (successfully) in court against the IFPI last year that they are not responsible for paying royalties on sales outside the Russian Federation. Is everyone buying from allofmp3 a Russian citizen, living inside the Russian Federation with no plans to export the music they’ve just bought? Is *anyone*?

Hence, no royalty paid. Becuase they are ROMS certified can maintain that what they are doing is legal (but only if you, the customer, lives in Russia – but then it’s you who is breaking the law, not them), but the label / artist most certainly does not get any money from it.

12. MSDNArchive says:

Alan – I’ve looked around for info that confirms your view that "are not responsible for paying royalties on sales outside the Russian Federation.

I found these though (the first has links to otehr stuff),_but_with_some_big_glitches

Can you point to anything that helps confirm your pov?

13. Alan says:

The first URL didn’t seem to go anywhere – looks like the tail end of it has been cut off, but second one doesn’t contradict what I was saying. If you could bear with me a sec here:

The article says

"Under the license agreement Allofmp3 pays out fees to ROMS for downloaded materials that are subject to the Russian Federation Copyright And Related Rights Law"

Pretty much every track on allofmp3 is not covered by the Russian Federation Copyright And Related Rights Law.

Have a look at

<a href=""&gt;</a&gt;

namely the bits "# The rights of performers are recognized under this law if:

* the performer is a national of the Russian Federation"

"The rights of the broadcasting or cable distribution organization shall be protected under this Law if the said organization has its headquarters on the territory of the Russian Federation and broadcasts with the aid of transmitters located on the territory of the Russian Federation."

-pointing out here that allofmp3’s downloads are considered a broadcast in the eyes of Russian law. Not sure why that is…

But basically, If you’re not a Russian, then you’re not covered. Indeed, this is alluded to in the museekster article –

"Russian copyright legislation allows phonograms to be performed publicly without the authorization of the copyright owner for broadcasting and cable transmission"

"I can confirm the legality of You can legally buy/download mp3-songs from this site if it does not breaks the law the national legislation of the country in which you will be during that moment."

It’s legal if you’re in Russia. Roylties get paid to Russian artists for Russian sales, but that’s it.

If I might give one final point of anecdotal evidence, have a look here:

I happen to work with the Lost Language label and in particular one of the artists represented one that album, Lustral. Allofmp3 were never given permission to sell this album, and needless to say no royalties have ever been forthcoming. Lost Language only became aware that it was for sale after one of their customers informed them of it. They tried to get it removed in various letters from their lawyer, but each time were directed back to the terms of the Russian Federation Copyright And Related Rights Law.

14. Alan says:

I wrote out a huge long reply, but it seems to have been eaten… Oh well 🙁

To summerise – the article doesn’t contradict what I was saying. They’re saying that they abide by the Russian Federation Copyright And Related Rights Law, which does not protect non-Russian artists.

If you’re really interested then go and look up the Russian Federation Copyright And Related Rights Law (I warn you though – it’s pretty dry stuff). It (fairly) clearly dictates who allofmp3 do and do not have to pay royalties for, and what it essentially comes down to is pretty much no-one.

15. dadj says:

Looks like they are down again.  I just ordered two songs, and tried for a third when I recieved this:

Ordering is temporarily not available.

The site is undergoing some technical restructuring.

We work hard to resume the service. We expect to put back all the functions shortly.

Please, accept our appologies for this ongoing disruption.