Podcast charging $ monkey *#$!f%! news

I suppose it was a no-brainer to predict that the Ricky Gervais podcast show was going to be a hit.

He’s the other no-brainer: charging $7 (or £4.50) a month for the next series of podcasts is a show-stopper. (via hashdot).

Who thought of that? The monkey?

Karl

I don’t get it. I heard there were over 3 million downloads for the first series. An unprecedented wonder-hit.

Ricky (as if he RSS ego-tracks), are you telling me you can’t have a seriously (or at least reasonably) profitable ad-based revenue model with those kind of numbers? Don’t make me laugh.

Update: 21 Feb 06: According to a different article, this time by CNET, Audible will charge $1.95 per episode or $6.95 for the season, not $7 as other articles have stated. Thanks to ‘Dave’ for pointing out.

1. Ian says:

If I can get advertsing for my show and I sure Ricky can.

I enjoyed the shows he did (even if it did end up just taking the piss out of Karl each week) but there no way I am going to pay for any of his show when there is good free content out there.

2. kosso says:

It will be interesting to see what the figures are. I wont be paying for it, for sure. They will soon realise that it was a dumb idea to go for audible’s drm.  (not saying that they wont make a few grand)

they may switch to an ad based model eventually – but it’s all about if Ricky etc even want to endorse *anything* but themselves.

Also, going the audible route like this requires no added production overhead on making/recording the show at all. Nothing has to change when they do the show.

Who/what do you think Ricky etc *could* advertise successfully? Staplers? Peanut Butter? Hmmm? 😉

3. Dave says:

Okay, advertising, good point, fair enough, etc… but how about fact checking instead of taking the word of an article?  It is not $7 a month.  If you’d actually have a look at Audible you’d realise it is $6.95 for Season 2, which could go anywhere from 4 to 12 episodes.  That is not $7 a month.  Or you can pay $1.95 an episode.  Whatever takes your fancy.

It’s going to be interesting to see if it works.  I’m betting it will.  I already know 3 people in our ‘non-tech’ office who got the credit card out this afternoon.

4. MSDNArchive says:

thanks Dave, have updated post.

5. Jon says:

I have no problem paying $7 for a season, I’d happily pay 3 or 4 times that for a DVD of him talking shit with merchant and pilkington to be honest, someone has to help feed the monkey.

6. Nicolas Brisbane says:

I’m involved with producing an up-and-coming and would like to avoid using advertisements. I’ve come across SubscribeCast Technologies that supposedly can provide a way to charge customers as well as track use and abuse of the RSS feeds. I’m looking to find other companies that provide this in order to make a decision on which one to go with. Has anyone heard of SubscribeCast or know of any other way to fund a podcast without using advertiseing? Any thoughts would be appreciated!