When Joshua Porter and I started our non-formal podcasting efforts a while ago, we made list of the people we'd want to have on our 'show' and talk to.
Steve has been leading Attention conversation for some time now. In 2003 he, along with David Sifry (CEO of Technorati), initiated the attention.xml efforts and has since taken on the role as president of the non-profit Attention Trust.
I remember when I first came across his Gillmor Gang show while it was originally hosted at IT Conversations. I was in heaven - people talking about technology stuff I was really interested in...I've been hooked ever since. So it was little weird doing the show tonight - it felt like I was listening in on one of his shows and had to remind myself that I had to talk too 😉
Anyway, the podcast we recorded tonight was a cracker. Steve's level of thinking on Attention topic is deep and knowledgeable - it was fun trying to keeping up with him. Thanks to Steve for his time.
Attention podcast : Attention with Steve Gillmor, Joshua Porter and Alex Barnett
- download: mp3. 58 minutes, 14mb
- What is Attention and Attention Data? (2:45)
- The Attention Market (9:20)
- Communicating Attention (12:00)
- Attention data recording and feedback - Eric Horvitz - Model of Attention and Marc Smith - AURA: The Advance User Resource Annotation System (14:00)
- The ROI on Attention Data (16:20)
- Defining the Attention Problem (17:30)
- Infinite information and finite time (18:30)
- RSS the Attention enabler (22:50)
- Monetizing Attention data (27:10)
- The cycle of RSS consumption
- Attention for the masses and the edge cases (35:00)
- Attention value exchange and Root Markets - (38:40)
- Being marketed information (43:00)
- Getting my data in and out 46:11
- On Gestures, Gesture streams and GestureBank (47:50)
- Summing up (53:00)
- End (58:19)
Update: Joshua has posted his thoughts on our time with Steve.
Related: My Attention writings