WSS v3 Beta 2 is out – try it with WSS adapter

Windows SharePoint Services V3 Beta 2 is out and you can download it here. WSS v3 does not install a policy file that redirects old SharePoint assembly requests to the new assemblies. For this reason, if you try to use WSS v3 Beta 2 with BizTalk 2006 WSS adapter, you will run into errors. In order to workaround this problem and take WSS v3 Beta 2 for a test drive together with BizTalk 2006 WSS adapter, you will need to write your own policy file or just update the web.config file of the WSS adapter web service. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Open web.config from C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\Business Activity Services\BTSharePointAdapterWS
  2. Paste the following section into the web.config file, configuration section and save the file
        <assemblyBinding xmlns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1″>
            <assemblyIdentity name=”Microsoft.SharePoint”
                              publicKeyToken=”71e9bce111e9429c” />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion=”″

If you have other apps that were compiled against the old SharePoint assembly and you want to see if they will work with the new SharePoint assemblies, you can paste the snippet above in the configuration section of the machine.config file. That will make the changes global to entire machine.

During my tests, WSS adapter worked nicely with WSS v3 Beta 2. There were a few intermittent issues like [Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException] Unable to complete this operation.  Please contact your administrator. or [Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException] The URL ‘/sites/BASSite/DestinationLibraryFromOrch/tmp-db04abaf-4a12-4e11-93c9-4338c17cc78c.xml’ is invalid.  It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.

However, the operation was succesful on the second retry performed by the adapter and since this is a beta product some annoyances are expected. If you decide to try WSS v3 Beta 2 yourself and you find worse problems, I would like to hear about them from you.

[Content below added/changed on June 14]

BizTalk 2006 Configuration routine for Windows SharePoint Services BizTalk Adapter Web Service/SharePoint Adapter fails to configure on WSS v3 Beta 2 (SharePoint 2007 Beta 2). In order to workaround this you can install and configure WSS adapter on WSS v2 and then upgrade to WSS v3.

An alternative is to configure the adapter web service manually. I haven’t tried this approach but it should work. In this case you need to create a virtual folder on the IIS site hosting SharePoint and name that virtual folder BTSharePointAdapterWS. The virtual folder should point to C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\Business Activity Services\BTSharePointAdapterWS folder. This virtual folder must run in its own application pool and this app pool needs to be a copy of the SharePoint app pool (app pool used by _layouts virtual folder). You also need to update the web.config file like below

<allow roles=”MACHINENAME\SharePoint Enabled Hosts” verbs=”GET,HEAD,POST”/>
   <deny users=”*”/>

These are my own workarounds and they are NOT supported by Microsoft. AFAIK, Microsoft has NOT announced yet if BizTalk 2006 will support WSS v3.

1. Robert Clarke says:

I’m trying to get my BT2006 to talk to wss3 (works fine with a wss2 port) but am getting an error that implies there is some configuration stopping this. I have changed the file name so that it doesn’t include the message ID, and is just a static name ‘Invoice.xml’. I’m new to wss so it might be something silly rather than a bug, but any information would be appreciated. Thanks

<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>

<h2>Object moved to <a href="http://vm-sp2007-dev/_layouts/error.aspx?ErrorText=The%%20file%%20you%%20are%%20attempting%%20to%%20save%%20or%%20retrieve%%20has%%20been%%20blocked%%20from%%20this%%20Web%%20site%%20by%%20the%%20server%%20administrators%%2E">here</a&gt;.</h2>

2. Garry Trinder says:

I believe you are getting this error because SharePoint is not routing the web service calls to the BTSharePointAdapterWS virtual folder. WSS v3 has been updated so that only included paths are managed explicitly (you can no longer define exludeded paths), instead they are excluded automatically. IISRESET should fix the problem. Can you update the BTSharePointAdapterWS web.config to comment out the
    <remove name=”Documentation”/>
    section, run IISRESET and then browse to the web service page? You should be able to see web service page. If you see the page, then try sending a message again.

3. Andrew vR says:

I have an environment where it is not feasible to uninstall v3 (to be able to do the adapter install on a v2 system), so I decided to try to push through on the installation of the SharePoint adapter on my WSS v3 system.

The installation fails with a message regarding prerequisites not being available.  The installation log is very useful since it appears to detail the list of items the installer is looking for, and highlighting those it can’t find.  I have been through and installed the missing items, except for 2.  The first was SSO (which I don’t think is actually a prerequisite – I am assuming that the installer just needs to know if it’s there or not), but the second has me stumped.

This is the component:

[11:01:52 Info] Detecting platform component: Microsoft Primary Interoperability Assemblies 2005

[11:01:52 Info] Component is not installed.

Any idea what these are and where they come from?

4. Garry Trinder says:

Is this a single box scenario where on the same machine you are installing WSS Adapter web service, and BizTalk Runtime? If that’s true, then you do need to install SSO and possibly other components. Otherwise, if you are installing on multiple machines, then BizTalk Runtime, SSO and possibly some other components need to be installed on the 1t machine. On the 2nd machine with WSS v3 you only need WSS Adapter Web Service.

You can take a look at the installation guides found here

5. Andrew vR says:

Thank you for your response.  I followed your advice and installed BT SSO onto my SharePoint server which had the side effect of installing those Primary Interoperablity Assemblies that I could not track down.  But it still did not open up the tick boxes for SharePoint adapter and BAS installation.  I even enabled SharePoint’s SSO service (after removing the quotes from the ImagePath key!), to no avail.

The install log shows up clean (all components found), but the install window still has a comment about missing pre-requisities.

And I have now run out of time on this so I may just move the file up with some C# code instead, much as I dislike the idea.

Thanks again for your help.

6. Garry Trinder says:

For BAS and WSS adapter web service you need the following pre-requisites:

WSS 2003

SP2 for WSS 2003 (this is a WSS SP, not an OS SP)

If WSS language is different from BizTalk language, you need to install a WSS language pack that adds support for the language that you have for BizTalk.

7. Andrew vR says:

I realise that, and I am trying to install it onto a WSS v3 machine, so I am not too suprised.  The machine had never had WSS v2 installed, so I tried to trick the installer by creating a ..web server extensions60ISAPI directory and copying the v3 OWSSVR.DLL file into it.

According to the installer log, it was happy with that, but obviously there is another check that the installer log does not report.

8. Garry Trinder says:

Oh, I’m sorry, it totally slipped by me that you are trying this on WSS v3. The way I tried this was by installing it and configuring on WSS v2 and then upgrade to WSS v3. I have some workarounds above for configuring it manually on a WSS v3 but I don’t have any workarounds for Setup. You could try to install it on a machine with WSS v2 and then copy the web service files manually and configure manually as described above. You can use reflector to see what other files you need to copy. I never tried this but it might work.

Remember, this is not supported by Microsoft!!!

These are some of the hacks I tried in order to see how it works with WSS v3.

9. Travis Pryor says:

Much like an earlier poster, I am also attempting to use the native 2006 WSS adapter in conjuction with WSS 3.0 Beta 2 and am receiving the following error:

<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>

I’ve tried the work-arounds mentioned here, inserting <runtime>…</runtime> elements into the web.config file, commenting out the <protocols>…</protocols> elements, iisreset, etc, but the error persists when I create a file in a doc lib being observed by a receive location.

Could we get some more specific instructions on the configuration steps taken in order to get the adpater to work with WSS 3.0 Beta 2?

10. Garry Trinder says:

Can you update the BTSharePointAdapterWS web.config to comment out the

<remove name="Documentation"/>

section, run IISRESET and then browse to the web service asmx page? What’s the error message you get when you do this?

11. Travis Pryor says:

browsing to localostBTSharePointAdapterWS.asmx displays a sharepoint page that states "The file you are attempting to save or retrieve has been blocked from this Web site by the server administrators."  Owners & members have full control of the document library.

12. Garry Trinder says:

I’m just guessing right now as I don’t know why you get this error message.

Did you configure the web service manually? Is the BTSharePointAdapterWS an IIS application or is it just a virtual folder? You might have to push on the Create button and select an app pool in order allow execution of the asmx pages.

13. Vasily says:

Is SharePoint Adapter enabled for SSL?

I have WSS 3.0 site with SSL enabled (port 34103). When I specify in receive location  Adapter Web Service Port: 34103, and SharePoint Site URL: https://localhost – there are error messages in the EventLog:

The adapter "Windows SharePoint Services" raised an error message. Details "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.".

14. Garry Trinder says:

Yes, SharePoint adapter is enabled for SSL. The error you get is probably normal because you used the "localhost" machine name. The SSL certificate of the server is used for 2 things:

– to encrypt a symetrical key that’s passed to the client for encrypting the HTTP requests/responses

– to authentificate the identity of the server. This is what fails in your case.

Your SSL certificate is issued for a particular machine name (usually something like You MUST use that exact machine name in the URL (and not localhost or the NetBIOS name) otherwise the authentication of the server will fail with the error you just saw. You need to update the URL to include the correct name of the machine in order to fix this.

If this problem is not fixed after you update the URL, then most likely that the authority that issued the certificate is not added to the ‘trusted authorities’ list on your machine. Most likely, you are using a certicate that you issued yourself. You will need to add that issueing authority as a trusted authority on the BizTalk Runtime machine in order to fix that (if you run into this problem). I believe you do that from MMC (run MMC, File ->Add/Remove Snapin, Add, select ‘Certificates’, Computer Account and then navigate to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities. I haven’t tested this but I believe it’s correct).

15. Cal Kadourah says:

I’m also getting the same error:

<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>…

I have one boxt for BTS 2006 and one with SharePoint 2007, do I need to modify any thing on the SharePoint 2007 box?

16. Maurice says:

I tried to follow your suggestions with using the final version of WSS 3.0. Unfortunately I do not get it up and running. The error message is A message sent to adapter "Windows SharePoint Services" on send port "Archive CMDB Import Files" with URI "wss://" is suspended.

Error details: The Windows SharePoint Services site was not found. The URL "; points to a SharePoint object for which there is no Windows SharePoint Services site.

Have you got any suggestions?

17. Garry Trinder says:

Can you copy/paste the URL in your browser and see if there is a SharePoint site at that URL? Do you get any error and if you do what’s the exact error?

18. fairycat says:

Thanks Andrian, it worked!! I followed your alternative way. -> An alternative is to configure the adapter web service manually.

my experience here.

19. Matthias Unruhe says:

Hi Adrian,

I ran into a problem with WSS adapter when configuring the BizTalk Server 2006 at a customer.

Configuration is cancelled, because it wants to delete the web.config but isn’t allowed to set the according file attributes.

I’m sorry that I can’t give you the exact error message because it’s a german BizTalk Server and I don’t have a clou how to translate the message exactly. Must be something like "Error on setting file permissions on a temporary ASP.NET-directory or web service directory"

My question now is: do you think that the manual workaround you discribed in your initial article will solve this problem.

Oh … by the way: I need to get WSS adapter running for WSS v2.

20. Garry Trinder says:

Hi Matthias,

The best way to troubleshoot this is:

1) look in the configuration log file for more details on the failure

2) run FileMon and set a filter that includes the events generated by configuration.exe process. Then run configuration. This way you will see exactly the file causing the problem.

Your translation of the error message makes me believe that the failure is not related to the web.config file. I think the configuration process fails to set some permissions on one of the ASP.NET temporary files folder, possibly

C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727Temporary ASP.NET Files

The configuration log fragment with the error would help me provide you with more information on this problem.

21. Matthias Unruhe says:

Hi Adrian,

Here is the fragment from the configuration file:

[13:16:36 Info ConfigHelper] Sharepoint install location found

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion SaveAdapterSiteId wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion SaveAdapterSiteName wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion SaveAdapterPort wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] MBSharePoint Enabled Hosts ist keine lokale Entität.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::SetWebServicePermissions wird gestartet.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::setASPNetRights wird gestartet.

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] Permissions successfully set.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::setASPNetRights wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] Permissions successfully set.

[13:16:39 Error ConfigHelper] c:depotsetupv2privatecommonconfigwizardconfighelperconfighelper.cpp(773): FAILED hr = 80070534

[13:16:39 Error ConfigHelper] Zuordnungen von Kontennamen und Sicherheitskennungen wurden nicht durchgeführt.

[13:16:39 Error WssAdaCfg] d:depot4000privatekwsourcebizofficecodebizofficeconfigurationwssadacfgwssadacfg.cpp(1534): FAILED hr = 80070534

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::SetWebServicePermissions wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Error WssAdaCfg] d:depot4000privatekwsourcebizofficecodebizofficeconfigurationwssadacfgwssadacfg.cpp(946): FAILED hr = 80004005

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::ConfigureWebSite wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Error WssAdaCfg] d:depot4000privatekwsourcebizofficecodebizofficeconfigurationwssadacfgwssadacfg.cpp(377): FAILED hr = 80004005

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::UnConfigureFeature wird gestartet.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Konfiguration des Features WssAdapterWS wird aufgehoben.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::UnconfigureWebSite wird gestartet.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Vroot site id found

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] Das virtuelle Stammverzeichnis BTSharePointAdapterWS ist auf der Site 1 bereits vorhanden.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Deleting vroot

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] Die IIS-Anwendung BTSharePointAdapterWS wurde gelöscht.

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] Das virtuelle ISS-Stammverzeichnis BTSharePointAdapterWS wurde gelöscht.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Gelöschtes virtuelles Verzeichnis: BTSharePointAdapterWS

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] Der Anwendungspool BTSharePointAdapterWSAppPool ist bereits vorhanden.

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] Die IIS-Version 6 wurde gefunden.

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] Der IIS-Anwendungspool BTSharePointAdapterWSAppPool wurde gelöscht.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Gelöschter Anwendungspool: BTSharePointAdapterWSAppPool

[13:16:39 Info ConfigHelper] INSTALLDIR C:ProgrammeMicrosoft BizTalk Server 2006 wurde abgerufen.

[13:16:39 Error CWssAdaCfg] Die Dateiattribute von "Web.config" konnten nicht zum Löschen festgelegt werden.

[13:16:39 Error CWssAdaCfg] Die Datei "Web.config" konnte nicht gelöscht werden.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::UnconfigureWebSite wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CTPMConfig::DeleteTpmRegistryKey wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::UnConfigureFeature wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Info CWssAdaCfg] Die Funktion CWssAdaCfg::ConfigureFeature wird beendet.

[13:16:39 Warning Configuration Framework]Feature failed to configure: WssAdapterWS.

Strangely I already had successfully configured SharePoint Adapter but now my client wanted to move BizTalk databases from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005. As this concerns the productive machine which isn’t used at the moment I thought this wouldn’t be a problem. Just run the configuration again and point to SQL Server 2005 where configuration is to create new BizTalk databases. But now i don’t get it managed to configure SharePoint Adapter again. I always run into the error mentioned above.

22. Rajeev says:

Hi Adrian,

I am having BizTalk 2006 on 1 machine and Sharepoint 2007 on the othr machine. When I try to install the Sharepoint Adapter Webservice on Sharepoint machine the checkbox is disabled. Do i have to download the wss 3.0 v2 and try with that.

Any help is appreciated.

23. Garry Trinder says:

No, you don’t. Actually, unless you use BizTalk 2006 R2 Beta 2 you won’t be able to make it work with WSS v3.

What you probably need is the WSS language pack. The SharePoint language and the BizTalk language must match. If that’s not the case for you then you have to install a WSS language pack for that checkbox to become enabled.

24. saurabh says:

The scenario you have explained utilizes SharePoint Services V3 Beta 2 ;i have just downloded the latest release wss 3.0 version

So, are there any changes with this newer version or can i go ahead and use the same approach

25. Planman Technologies says:

Hi Andrian

I have downloaded the latest released version WSS 3.0, is there any chages in the procedure described by you or should i go with the same procedure as above?

Thanx & Regards

26. Garry Trinder says:

I don’t know if the steps above work with RTM version of WSS v3.0. These steps are hacks that I provided at the time. The steps are no longer needed because BizTalk 2006 R2 Beta 2 and BizTalk 2006 RTM support WSS v3.0 out of the box so you don’t need to do any of the steps above.

27. KevinHou says:

I’ve read all the posts and the last one dated Aug. 31 2007 gave me hope, but my setup still won’t work.  I have BT 2006 Standard Edition (not R2), and MOSS 2007 RTM running on a virtual PC running Windows Server 2003.  When I go to Add/Remove Programs to install BizTalk’s WSS Adapter under Additional Software, the option is grayed out, I can’t check the box.  The messas is that I’m missing a prerequisite.  Would you know why I can’t insall the adapter this way?

Thanks for any help,

28. Garry Trinder says:

BizTalk 2006 was released in 2006 (go figure 🙂 …) and it doesn’t support MOSS which was released in 2007. You need BizTalk 2006 R2 (released in September 2007) if you want to use it with MOSS. You can download an evaluation copy of BizTalk 2006 R2 here

It will work for 120 days.