There are some things that I need on every box I build for development. While it’s true that these things change somewhat over time, there are still some non-negotiable items.
- Visual Studio 2008 Team Suite + SP1 – there is no substitute
- Team Foundation Server – we’ve got it here at work and I don’t have to maintain it myself like I would with Subversion. Not to detract from Subversion, however. Fine tool.
- Notepad++ – For those quick little edits when you don’t want to have to spin up Visual Studio
- ReSharper, ReSharper ReSharper – Don’t leave home without it. Not cheap, but worth every penny.
- NUnit – Why not MSTest? One word - TestCase
- RhinoMocks – Besides just being the best mocking framework out there, Ayende cracks me up regularly on his blog and on .NET Rocks!
I used to use TestDriven.NET all the time, but at $170 a pop for a pro license, I just can’t justify it when a quick command line bound to the Debug command for my test project does what I want it to. (Hey, there are a lot of mouths to feed in the Seelinger home.)