Vista – any opinions? Let us know. It’s not over yet…

Vaibhav Kamath asked on one of my previous posts if there will be any UI changes after Vista RC1.

The answer – no major changes, of course. Just fit & finish at this point. If you have any comments or issues around Vista, please log them on our forum, or even in the comments area of this post.

Thanks!

1. Guruparan says:

Please include some more theme in windows vista (like i saw a white theme in flickr!)..and revamp icons a little bit..Dont go glassy everywhere…& please make some more fit & finish in UI…Please…And i hate the black everywhere when i maximise a window..Useless for my nvidia 6600 256MB graphics card…!

2. Erik says:

I’ve been a pretty loyal Microsoft supporter for many years, going back to Windows 3.0.  I’ve stuck around for a lot of great successes and major blunders.  Overall, my experience has been far more positive than negative with every MS OS (Though I never used Millennium)

I know it’s too late to do anything about Vista’s design, but I STRONGLY encourage you and everyone at Microsoft to put Vista R2 on a serious diet.  This can’t all be explained by new features, as Linux and OSX does pretty much the same in less than half the memory footprint.

Yes, I know, in 2 years 2GB will cost $30, and nobody will care if the OS uses 800MB.  Wrong.  There’s still that pesky 3GB barrier.  x64 is a great step, but it’s still not usable for a lot of people (such as myself.  I tried to go x64 first).  Driver signing appears to be a major headache (I couldn’t run vmware which I require because of it, and I won’t run VirtualServer, as it’s too unstable for my needs) and that whole 32bit/64bit identity crisis thing is just too much of a pain.  I had 3 apps that i use regularly that simply would not work right on x64.  It’s going to be a LONG migration path, unless you can seriously improve 32 bit compatibility.

Finally, what do we get for all this bloat?  Not a lot.  Have you *SEEN* XGL/Compiz on Linux?  Spinning cubes and wobbly windows?  Now that’s cool.  maybe not all practical, but cool none the less.  I hope you get WDDM2 out the door fast, and make it backwards compatible with Vista.

And while we’re talking about speed, I know corporate customers don’t want to upgrade every year, but how about a nice big juicy "feature pack" upgrade at least once a year, with smaller upgrades than a full version upgrade.  Apple is really kicking your ass and taking names at getting features you announce early out the door before you.  Come on, work on the nimbleness.

Viva Vienna!

3. AdiOltean says:

>>> And i hate the black everywhere when i maximise a window..Useless for my nvidia 6600 256MB graphics card…!

Can you describe the issue in more detail? Does hte whole screen becomes black when you maximize a window?

Thanks, Adi

4. Vaibhav Kamath says:

I have been using Vista RC1 since it launched, and I have see perf issues with Windows Media Player and the Browser, especially when accessing Gmail.

With the browser, when I access Gmail, it just hangs for a long time with CPU at 100%. I understand it may be a google problem, but then, it could be a browser issue too.

My specs: P4 1.8 GHz, 1GB RAM, x1600 ATI AGP 512 MB video card, 24 bit Creative live sound card.

Thanks,

Vaibhav

5. Vaibhav Kamath says:

If you maximize any window, it removes the glass effect, and your windows and the start bar turn completely black.

I hate that too, but one of the guys at Microsoft said (I am sorry I don’t remember the name / forum), that they do it because "when you maximize your window, you want your focus on just that window, and not be distracted, hence they turn off the glass effect"

I agree with what he said, but suggested that black may not be the answer to it. Especially for applications like WMP, Calendar which has a lot of glass at the bottom. The bottom section of these apps would turn into black (or gray), which I personally feel does not look good.

6. Vaibhav Kamath says:

WOW! Microsoft built the expose feature in Vista! Almost!. If you have many windows open, and you right click on the bottom bar (I guess it’s called the start bar) you would see an option "Show windows side by side". This is a cool option but I wish we could click on any window and it would restore all windows to it’s original size bringing the window selected by me to the front. That would complete the Expose feature and it would be really cool.

One thing that is annoying about the feature is if you click "Show windows side by side" and click "Show windows side by side" the default size and position of your windows will remain set to side by side, basically you can’t undo "Show windows side by side".

My suggestion, once the user clicks "Show windows side by side" remove that option from the menu until the user chooses "Undo Show side by side".

Thanks,

Vaibhav

7. Adi Oltean says:

>>> I’ve now been using Vista for about a week as my primary OS, and I have to say that I’m NOT impressed overall.  This beast should not be using 800MB of RAM doing absolutely nothing.  I have 2.5GB, but I need that for my APPS, not the OS.  I’d be happy with a 400MB footprint.  I understand that features add bloat, but going from 128MB to 800MB footprint?  That’s just insane.

Erik – can you cut & paste the detailed memory consumption on your box? Do you see 800 MB of physical memory allocated to teh OS? I mean – I can see 900 MB of Commit Charge on my XP system as well (right now) and I only have Outlook and IE open.

In general, it is hard to conclude what is right or wrong just by looking at these numbers. But it’s definitely bad if you have lots of page faults, for example, or applications take lots of time to load, etc.

8. Adi Oltean says:

>>> With WMP, the CPU goes to 100% if I have visualization on. I turned visualization off, which made things better, but the CPU still keeps fluctuating between 30 to 80%, If I keep WMP in minimized state, it gives me the best performance.

Vaibhav,

Can you please open Task Manager, go to Performance tab, and check to see if IE is consuming 100% CPU?

Thanks, Adi

9. Vaibhav Kamath says:

I have verified that iexplore.exe sits between 80 to 95% when I login to gmail or the new hotmail (kahuna). Looks like an AJAX related bug.

The same is true with WMP, wmplayer.exe sits between 70 to 85% when visible. If you keep WMP above all windows (i.e. is visible) you would see the CPU creep up, but if you have another window above WMP (i.e. WMP is not visible on the screen) the CPU would go downto less that 10%.

10. Adi Oltean says:

I also have noted the 90% CPU utilization on gmail.com page – is this something that looks like a regression from Windows XP?

If yes, it might be related to the new Internet Explorer 7 code (which is unrelated with Vista).

11. I have an Nvidia board and had exactly the same quicktime/ itunes issues, BSOD’ s and stuttering under Vista. My fix was to go into device manager and find“ Nvidia Nforce serial ATA controller” and then right click and select update driver software and