Who da’Punk?

While the whole mini-msft seems to be an interesting blog these days, I personally just don’t buy into the anonymity thing. I don’t know, and I can’t explain why – personally I just feel wrong about the idea. Second, there is a very high risk that it might end wrong for the blogger – the first thing that comes to my mind is that this would make many many bloggers sad.

I have my own feeling on who Mini-Microsoft is… I’m not going to say who because I just don’t believe that I’m right, and most importantly, I don’t want to cause random harm by emitting a stupid suspicion. However, I am thinking that:
1) Mini-Msft is probably a real Microsoft blogger too, because he loves to share his opinion to others. So it seems logical that he might have a real blog in addition to the anonymous blog, correct?
2) And all you have to do is compare his style of writing with the style of writing of any other Microsoft blogger.

Well, that would not work if Mini-Microsoft intentionally changed his style of writing in order to cover his tracks. But, even worse, what if an innocent person ends being accused?

1. Statistician says:

It’s incredibly hard to hide who you are in your writing – forensic linguistics is a whole subject in itself! Even though you might use a thesaurus, or change sentence structure occasionally, or use different emphasis mechanisms, it would be incredibly hard to consistently hide who you are.

This is one reason why Mini is being really stupid – he just doesn’t realise how many MS people are working on this sort of thing! Even running the posts through Word’s grammar checker and comparing the statistics to those of large known samples from MS employees would probably narrow it down to less than 50 people.

I haven’t actually bothered to do the analysis myself, but I will start the "Guess who Mini is on the assumption that he is a Microsoft blogger" game, and postulate that he is Eric Lippert.

2. mike says:

Who cares who he is? He is bringing up real issues at Microsoft that most of management is to niave to realize.

3. AdiOltean says:

… Or maybe he doesn’t have a real blog at all. It is hard to keep two blogs up and running at the same time…

4. Anonymous says:

On the one hand, I agree that it’s important to stand by your opinions and not hide behind anonimity.

On the other hand, many people are plain stupid and tend to shoot down the messenger when they don’t like the message.

When someone tells you that you screwed up, it’s a lot easier to hold firmly on a defensive position and question the person’s ability to judge you instead of actually thinking of those comments and trying to figure out how to get the best out of them.

I’ve seen amazingly smart people continue stupid arguments for ever and ever because they simply refused to acknowledge they did something wrong (if 80% of the people think they’re above average, you’ll be amazed how many people think they’re always right).

Examples: Technical person (consultant) discussing with a marketing guy: "I’ve seen the mail you’ve sent to customer X. Dude, unless they’re extremely stupid they won’t buy into that kind of bs. Come on, my 5 year-old wouldn’t believe you. Be more careful with what you promise"

Reasonable answer: "I’ll see if I screwed up with our customer and if I did, I won’t repeat the mistake".

Real answer: "If you’re so good at it, why don’t YOU come here and do my job?" or "I’m glad you’re interested in my work but it’s really not your field. Mind your own business"

What if you were to find out that Mini is a janitor in Bldg 8? Despite the fact that some comments on his blog are very sharp and describe real problems, everyone would sigh in relief: "OOOOOH, he’s the janitor! He doesn’t know what he’s talking about".

The interesting part would be discovering that Mini is a well-known and respected VP…

5. Anonymous says:

6. AdiOltean says:

>> You should put a lid on that speculation crud. It may not ruin someone’s career but it can put undue stress on them. Who care’s who the dude might be? I’m sure all will be revealed in time, and by then, you’ll probably be going, "Mini who?"

Hmm… that’s why anonymous blogs are dangerous in the first place – it is very easy that the innocent person might get finger-pointed.