ECMA standards now aligned with the new Whidbey, C# 2.0


Few days ago, ECMA approved the third edition of the C# and CLI standards. This aligns the language and runtime to the latest enhancements in Whidbey, like generics, nullable types, etc.


The effects of this standard approval are almost immediate – Miguel de Icaza mentioned in his blog that Mono will be soon aligned too.

Comments (4)

  1. Jeff Parker says:

    Good news!! Now I have a question for you. Which downloadable spec is the complete, finished, acurate one? There are several on Microsofts site in MSDN. There is like a version 1 and a version 2 which is more of a supplement to version one. (this might have changed but last I looked about a month ago this is how it was) And I just went to the ecma site and downloaded the one there but when you pull it up it says final DRAFT.

  2. AdiOltean says:

    You might want to look here:

    http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-334.htm – ECMA-334 3rd edition – C# Language Specification

    http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-335.htm – ECMA-335 3rd edition – Common Language Infrastructure (CLI)

    And two new technical reports containing more data:

    http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/techreports/E-TR-084.htm – ECMA TR/84 3rd edition – Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) – Information Derived from Partition IV XML File

    http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/techreports/E-TR-089.htm – ECMA TR/89 – Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) – Common Generics

  3. Anonymous says:

    Cool thanks for those links the 334 spec is the one that says Final Draft in it (download it and open it in acrobat, final draft seems hidden if opened in IE) but since that was the one aproved I would say it is as good as the final doc.

    BTW thanks for the other links all good info. Off to do some downloading, printing and reading.

  4. AdiOltean says:

    Also – thanks for pointing that the MSDN documentation is old (the documents should state "standard" not "draft"). I just sent a mail to the MSDN team an they will take a look into this issue.