Where are all my iPods?

Leander Kahney publishes an interesting discovery:

“About 80 percent of Microsoft employees who have a portable music player have an iPod,” said one source, a high-level manager who asked to remain anonymous. “It’s pretty staggering.”

The source estimated 80 percent of Microsoft employees have a music player — that translates to 16,000 iPod users among the 25,000 who work at or near Microsoft’s corporate campus. “This irks the management team no end,” said the source.

Well, let’s see. We are about 250 people in our team. Now, following the impecable line of logic highlighted above, our group must have in total 0.8 * 250 = 200 iPods. But I don’t see anybody else having any. So, logically, I must be the one who has them all. I just can’t remember where I put them…

1. Anonymous says:

The key to that statistic is the "who have a portable music player" part. Unless of course everyone on your team has a portable music player. Hmm, so does this mean that Microsoft is working on an ipod killer???

2. Anonymous says:

Shouldn’t that be 160 IPods? Or does everyone on the team have a portable digital music player of some sort?

Anyway, I guess you must be happy with all 160 of them. What generation are they? Any minis? 🙂

3. Anonymous says:

>> Shouldn’t that be 160 IPods?

🙂

No: 250 * 0.8 = 200, not 160. The numbers in the article are wrong too: 80% from 25,000 is 20,000.

4. Anonymous says:

No: first quote: 80% of employees who have a player have an ipod. Then below: 80% of employees have a player. 0.8 * 0.8 * 250 = 160.

5. Anonymous says:

It all depends on the two 80% factors, right?

80% have players

80% of that 80% own iPods

So, at my friend’s company ANTI-MUSIC, ANTI-APPLE:

0% have players

0% of that 0% have iPods

But if the 80% factors are true at MS (the real nut of this), then:

25,000 MS Employees

80% 20,000 have a digital music player

80% 16,000 have an iPod

I know this because Excel tells me so and, after all, it’s a MicroSoft program!

6. Anonymous says:

Adi, as noted by others, read your own quote. Their calculation is in line with their own numbers. 80 % Ipod users out of 80 % having any kind of player…

7. Anonymous says:

Thanks for correction… In the end, this is good news: I’ll have to search for 40 iPods less 🙂

8. Anonymous says:

Good luck. Please keep us posted!

9. Anonymous says:

Maybe they’re in the same place as Microsoft’s IE security policies?

10. Anonymous says:

😉

I think there’s as much logic and facts in this post then the figures you’re quoting!!

11. Anonymous says:

>> Well, Apple iPods are like 100x better then any other music player so if you have one, then you only need to find, like, .6 more?!

Good point 🙂