Tech License Plates

Many people know about Don‘s infamous IUNKNWN and INFOSET license
plates, but recently I’ve been noticing more technology-inspired license plates around
town.  Just the other day at the grocery store, I saw a car with a GUID license
plate.  And not that long ago I saw INT3 on one car and FFFF00 on
another (bright yellow) car.

It’s making me wonder how common this is.  Does anyone out there want to admit
to having a tech license plate?  We can play a mini game of Bumper Stumpers (if
you remember that show)!

1. Jeff Julian says:

I have a request in for the state of Kansas for "XSLTGUY" if that counts.

2. Massachusetts has ‘AFK’ available, but since I lease my car, it’s a pain in the a$$ to get a vanity plate….it just seemed most reasonable since in my car is the only place I ever seem to be Away From Keyboard…

3. Oran says:

How about a Beetle (bug) with the plate FEATURE?

4. Phil Weber says:

I knew I had been in this business for too long a few years ago when every NON-vanity plate I saw contained a three-letter acronym!

5. Trey Hutcheson says:

One of my best friends has the following plate:

0D0A

Which equals 13, 10. CR/LF. The line terminator. So he calls himself the terminator.
    Fairly clever. I wanted to get a Ford Escape with 0x1B

bad bad bad

6. Ron O'Rourke says:

I used to work with a mainframe sys admin whose lisense plate said:

C8C5E7

In EBCDIC this is HEX.

7. Paul says:

A while back I was following a guy who had TCP/1P :))) ha ha ha

8. Jayson Knight says:

I drive a boxster and currently have a request in for "unboxing"…

9. larsberg says:

On-campus, I’ve also seen a white pickup with the license plate "RUNTIME". Hilarious 🙂

10. I don’t know if it counts, but I’ve had "TWEAK" for about 10 years…

11. I don’t know if it counts, but I’ve had "TWEAK" for about 10 years…

12. Marc Brooks says:

My MR2’s plate is IUKNWN for the last 6 years.

My BMW R1100RT motorcyle is RMCRT (1000 points to the first person that figures that one out)…

13. Mine’s ASP.NET (complete with a dot, of sorts), as I note here:

14. Ajay Juneja says:

Well, when I used to work at IBM, one of my collegues had UNICODE (CA plate) and another one of my friends out west has IP MUSE (for TCP/IP).

15. I thought it was creative when the guys running the Microsoft shuttles (all those the white minivans and vans running all over campus) carefully renewed all of the shuttles’ licence plates at the time the WA DMV was passing out plates starting with "MSN". IMHO, those guys deserve bonus points for getting "vanity plates" without actually ordering "vanity plates".

16. I don’t have a geek plate of my own, but after I read this post I saw two plates that ended in PDF, one CMD and one XSL. Thanks 🙂

17. Ken says:

I have CODE, though I seriously considered "INT 3" – I guess that one wasn’t as original as I thought…

I picked CODE for its obvious programming meaning, but also because it has a whole bunch of other interesting interpretations.

18. In the early 90s, I just about fell out of my driver’s seat when I saw a California license plate here in the Bay Area that said:

RTFM

But the really great thing was, this was one of the old yellow-on-blue California plates. Which means this guy had had the plate since 1982 (according to the DMV web site, that’s when yellow-on-blue was discontinued), or else he wasn’t using the phrase to mean what we use it to mean. But that would take all the fun out of it. I prefer to think it was some Unix old-timer.

19. Peter Torr says:

Every time I see a car with a JVM plate, I feel bad for the driver. If I was the kind of person who got vanity plates, I’d definitely get JSCRIPT (that’s what my Project Gotham Racing profile has 😉 ). I saw a rice boy car with the plates ALL4SHOW the other day (a bit off topic, but it was funny).

20. Keith Patrick says:

Heh..my PGR plate was HORSHU (my IRC/IM nick), but I wouldn’t really get it for my car, since it is also a wrestler, and I don’t want wrestling plates. I was going to do a binary #, but I can’t even get a single character on a plate…I had an MR2 Spyder, though, so maybe I should have done MR2 in hex.

21. This is more Trek releated then Tech, but my Kansas license plate is NX74205 . Not many know what that means probably, which is how I like it. Confused the DMV people when I ordered it too.

^^ U.S.S. Defiants registry.

22. RichB says:

In the UK, it is law to have both numbers and letters on the license plate resulting in a little more difficulty creating recognisable words. However, I saw R33HAT on an orange aston martin last night and to me that looks like a certain Linux distro.

23. Read Print says:

Free books for students, teachers, and the classic enthusiast.

24. Read Print says:

Free books for students, teachers, and the classic enthusiast.

25. Amit Bahree says:

I have a CA plate – IUNK0WN.

26. 函授教育 says:

27. Paul Topping says:

My favorite tech license plate is really a math one. My friend has ABELIAN. For those whose algebra is a little rusty, an Abelian group (named after the mathematician Abel) is a group whose operator is commutative, like addition and multiplication. Therefore, an Abelian is one who commutes!!!

28. Brad Corbin says:

Before I moved to MO, my IL plate was MOR GHZ 1 (IL has free vanity plates of certain patterns)

Except it didn’t have a space, so everyone always asked: What’s morg-huzz?

29. I totally agree with what you’re saying. I wish more people felt this way and took the time to express themselves. Keep up the great work.

Andrea Jasperson

30. Ed says:

Create a vanity plate and see it on a supercar. This site is a lot of fun. platevanity.com

31. Marco Chacon says:

I live in Costa Rica, and there’s no option to get vanity plates here… You register your car, and you get a 6 digit consecutive number which you can’t change … So if you get a number that is easy to remember you’re lucky…. Now what are the chances that a geek guy like me of getting the plate 480640?? Well that’s what I got when I registered my MR2 Supercharged!!

32. Bert Linert says:

I can’t resist appreciating the owners of this blog. Good information. Well Done.

Bert Linert

33. Matty H says:

I have the Mass plate that says "BINARY"…i should have actually made it say "B1N4RY" but MA has some regulations about character placement.